Questions for CX-5 owners who installed subwoofers

I suppose if you went with say, two small tube subwoofers you could not block off the spare tire well and have them on the side, bearing the same load and the Styrofoam.

clZK0G1.jpg

I like this idea Chris thanks! I was thinking of building a fiberglass stealth box on one side, but you may have steered my mind in another direction. But, if you have no spare, why do you still carry the jack? To help other motorists? To lift one corner of your CX-5, spin one of your sweet TSWs and become hypnotized?! (lol)

Tapped an LOC before the Bose amp, wired in a JL Audio 500/1 mono amp to an Infinity 12" sub in a small
sealed box (left over). This is Mazda's missing audio link as the Bose now sounds truly amazing with gain only half way up. (MUCH improved from OEM)

(Sorry for moving the quote from the other thread, but I think it better belongs here)

I was under the impression that the audio lines going to the Base amp were already low-level (read the Parrot installation thread). I'm planning on adding a sub-woofer setup to my GT w/Bose, and I didn't think I would need an LOC. Was yours hooked up before or after the Bose? Any chance you have a wiring diagram?

I got a good deal on a Rockford 500W class-D amp. Actually the amp has low and high level inputs, so I guess I'm covered either way...

I've given up for now the idea of building a custom enclosure, I'm just going to build a small box that I can disconnect and move out if I need the space, with a couple of 8" subs. Maybe if someone made a fiberglass enclosure for the corners I'd be interested. That space is just too weird for a weekend woodworker like me!

(Sorry for moving the quote from the other thread, but I think it better belongs here)

I was under the impression that the audio lines going to the Base amp were already low-level (read the Parrot installation thread). I'm planning on adding a sub-woofer setup to my GT w/Bose, and I didn't think I would need an LOC. Was yours hooked up before or after the Bose? Any chance you have a wiring diagram?

No problem, I don't mind you moving my quote. To answer your question, I didn't know the speaker input wires were low level. I also needed RCA outs, and had the LOC, 12" sub/box, and amp left over from my old car I traded in. I did tap into the Bose amp on the input side. I do not have a wiring diagram for it, and had a hard time finding one on any forums so I just used my power probe II and ohm meter to find the right wires. I will be making a how-to with pics on my mod within a couple days. Stay tuned!

No problem, I don't mind you moving my quote. To answer your question, I didn't know the speaker input wires were low level. I also needed RCA outs, and had the LOC, 12" sub/box, and amp left over from my old car I traded in. I did tap into the Bose amp on the input side. I do not have a wiring diagram for it, and had a hard time finding one on any forums so I just used my power probe II and ohm meter to find the right wires. I will be making a how-to with pics on my mod within a couple days. Stay tuned!

Thanks! I'm a few weeks away from doing my install (vacation in a week, and I don't want to rush it). I'm planning on documenting stuff as well. Thanks for the info.

Also, I too like the Crystal Blue, it was one of my two choices, but I couldn't find any GT, much less an AWD, in that color in So Cal. I bought a Red one all the way up in Bakersfield! I do agree the black interior is a bit, ah, warm...

Thanks! I'm a few weeks away from doing my install (vacation in a week, and I don't want to rush it). I'm planning on documenting stuff as well. Thanks for the info.

Also, I too like the Crystal Blue, it was one of my two choices, but I couldn't find any GT, much less an AWD, in that color in So Cal. I bought a Red one all the way up in Bakersfield! I do agree the black interior is a bit, ah, warm...

No problem, when you're ready to install your system, look me up and I'll help you where I can. I'm not a professional installer, but I do have some experience in audio. Honestly, I wanted Sky Blue Mica (even with black leather) first, but it was discontinued for 2015 model year (WHY WHY Mazda?!). My dealer had to get the Crystal Blue GT with tech from another dealer 115 miles away and I had to wait a week (which was not a problem). So far, I have not even seen another Crystal Blue on the road. Soul Red is also a gorgeous color though!

Last edited:
I recommend you do not purchase that subwoofer. I had originally bought that same one and installed it in my wife's car. It does not sound good and lacks the low end bass a subwoofer should be able to produce. The aluminum driver also produces an overtone that makes it sound tinny. I returned that SO B-8PTD and got the JL Audio CS110-WXv2 sealed sub for my wife's 5 and the CP108LG-W3v3 ported Microsub for my CX5. The difference is astonishing! I slightly prefer the more accurate 10" sealed sub over the 8" micro sub but the micro sub is smaller and goes just as low but with more volume.

Where did you mount yours in your cx5? I was thinking about doing something in the small space in the hatch behind the wheel arch. I'm not that good with audio installation stuff, is it a pain to install?

Today I ordered a generic sub box and MTX FPR12-02 shallow sub to put behind the driver's seat since nobody ever sits there. I also ordered a Rockford Fosgate R500X1D amp to put under the seat and 4 gauge wiring kit. They're on the way and will let you know how it goes but after seeing several underseat subs on youtube that could not even vibrate a cardboard air freshener, I realized that I would be throwing money away on something that would tickle my leg hairs but not my ears.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Back