2014 Mazda 3 dead on road after 4 months / 5,000 miles - P0302 Cylinder #2 Misfire

waid302

:
2014 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Not to happy that my 2014 Mazda 3 with 5,000 miles died on the road. I was next to AutoZone and the code that was scanned was P0302 Cylinder #2 Misfire. Had to get it towed to the nearest Mazda dealer. It took 2 days to get a new coil and get me back on the road.

The Royal Mazda in Bloomington, Indina did pay and put me in a rental car.

Waid

Sounds like it was a fairly minor OEM coil issue. Those things are going to happen, especially on a brand new design. They're inconvenient, and I've been worried about these kinds of things buying my 3 so soon after they went on sale, but in the grand scheme of things, a coil failure isn't terrible.

I would be more concerned about the dealership taking two days to source an ignition coil than the failure of the coil.

It would guess this is not a widespread issue. Probably a defected part (in the sense that it fails prematurely).

The car should still be drivable with 3 working cylinders, not sure why it died, unless it's a "safety" feature built into the car.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it. You have warranty and Mazda roadside assistance (if you're in North America). Failures are much less likely on brand new cars, or cars during the warranty period, but doesn't mean failures will never happen.

Back