Clutch Safety Switch Bypass-How? Emergency

sealuva

:
Protege5
My 5 speed 2002 Protege5 slowly was getting harder to turn on. I hear a click but it will not start when I push the clutch in. Other parts are ok. I've read that you can bypass this switch some how. Please tell me how to do this or I will be stuck at work. Thanks all..

'What other parts are ok? ' How did you troubleshoot them?

Does jump-starting it make a difference? If so - the battery (and possibly alternator) are bad.

If you push start (back up a hill & let it roll in 2nd gear and (key on) release the clutch and then immediately push the clutch back in when started) - does it start? If so - the starter is bad.

I don't think it is the clutch switch:
1. The clutch switch failure is rare for these cars.
2. The switch would simply 'fail' - not slowly get harder to engage...

BUT all you have to do is look under the dash and behind the clutch pedal and see a connector. Take it off and jump a piece of wire across the two terminals on the wire connector (not the switch)) . If that doesn't fix it - let us know.

It finally turned on. Battery tested ok. I would like to do the jump job you mentioned but a picture would be good. I'm not good at wiring

If you look under your dash, follow the clutch pedal up and there will be a switch with a plug in it. Unplug it, and I replaced mine with a 15 amp fuse. Works fine, fits perfectly. Just dont forget you still need to make sure the clutch is in so you dont start in gear.

I have a good working clutch switch for sale...extremely easy to replace as well if you don't want to "rig" something up...$15 Shipped...

The ECU monitors for clutch switch activity,... if it was bad you should have a code:

P0704clutchswitch_zps0411d986.jpg

According to rock auto it's referred to as a cruise control switch. It's a switch meaning it's open or closed based off the position of the clutch pedal. It shouldn't throw any type of code.. the contacts in the switch weaken and will either make or not make contact. The location of the switch is located up by the fire wall it's white in color and depressed when you push the clutch pedal to the floor. If you disconnect this switch your car will not start so that tells you it's connected to the ignition circuit.

According to rock auto it's referred to as a cruise control switch. It's a switch meaning it's open or closed based off the position of the clutch pedal. It shouldn't throw any type of code.. the contacts in the switch weaken and will either make or not make contact. The location of the switch is located up by the fire wall it's white in color and depressed when you push the clutch pedal to the floor. If you disconnect this switch your car will not start so that tells you it's connected to the ignition circuit.
Any pictures of the switch

There are actually two switches on the clutch.

One is for the cruise control and is closed when the clutch is not applied (while driving). It's under the dash on the clutch pedal mount, opposite the firewall. This one tells the PCM to shut off the cruise if you begin to apply pressure to the clutch pedal.

The other closes when the clutch is depressed and is used for the starter. It's mounted on the firewall.

You said you get a click. Does the click come from under the hood? If so it's likely the starter. You'll never get the signal to the starter itself to make it click if the clutch switch is bad.

Back