Need Help - Loud Clunk/Bang from rear passenger suspension

Schlomo

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So i was driving home today, and happened to be driving over some pretty bad roads, lots of potholes and pretty major cracks. Was driving slowly, but pretty normally for the conditions and out of no where the rear passenger suspension starts giving off a huge Clunk and Bang noise when going over any small to large bump or pothole.

I need some help if anyone has had this issue before with a p5 or any other car, and may have some insight on where I can start looking to diagnose my problem, on where to start looking or possible immediate ideas on the problem. My immediate thought was my strut, but im not a huge gearhead. I'm a more than capable man with a wrench, but am not even sure where to start looking.

Luckly i have this whole week off work.. Guess i'll be using the good ol' 50cc scooter to get to the auto shop!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,
Schlomo

My vote would be strut mount. I don't find sway bar bushings are as loud as you're describing (unless you're prone to exageration.)

My vote would be strut mount. I don't find sway bar bushings are as loud as you're describing (unless you're prone to exageration.)

No exaggerating at all. It is really very very loud. I can still hear it though its more of a scraping than a knocking sound when i get on the bumper and push that side of the car far up and down.

Well, after a little digging i have unearthed the beast!

10150795_10152339050711163_89595634607637750_n.jpg

Any thoughts on if i can replace this myself? Do i need a spring puller?

Thanks,
Schlomo

if that one looks like that, i would replaces all 4, chance are if the other 3 have not gone.... they will in the near future. check all bushing while you are at it

:O

Yeah, replace all. Yes, you need a spring tool and an electric impact wrench. You find many/many other future uses for the impact - trust me. It is a good investment.

'Time for lowering springs and upgraded Tokico struts eh'? ;)

10153700_10152339725606163_2645826983756708938_n.jpg

1513738_10152339725601163_522062165289707577_n.jpg

I'd say it was about ready for this guy to go.

I have a nice impact driver, and loaned the tools from auto zone. Got it all fixed up and its working perfectly.

Thanks for everyones insight,
Schlomo

The same thing happened to my 2003 P5. I had a large scraping noise coming from the Left Rear of the car.
Took the car to a shop and my strut mount completely rusted through like your picture Schlomo.
Replaced my Rear Left strut with a new mounting kit and I was good to go.

163,000 km (101,875 m) on original shocks.

if your gonna do strut mounts do struts at 11 years old they probably need to be done, mine finally wore down at 150,000 miles and needed replacement if your on a budget (most people have to be these days) i recommend oe kyb struts (rock auto has the best prices on those though autozone is very close, i know because i work there and we can usually get em in 1-3 days) replace the mounts too and look for anything bent broken or worn out while under there.

an 11 year old car is bound to need something else suspension wise (mine looked good,though as it was in the family since 05 and garage kept and maintenance done at regular intervals) bushings are probably gonna be your big issue for being worn out. do not get the hand crank strut compressor unless your very careful as it can be dangerous and if you do have a few friends help as its a pain in the the rear end to use.

this is the spring compressor i am talking about

http://www.autopartsapi.com/eEuroparts.com/Images/Parts/lg_9b5e84d7-d621-45a5-8a08-9b9a055090e2.jpg

Back