Could use some help with check engine codes!

nelvolks

:
02 Mazda Protege 5
My 02 P5 check engine light came on and I had it scanned to see what codes showed up. Any information and help about this I would greatly appreciate it. I want to see if I can do this myself and try not to spend alot of $$$$.

Here are the codes:

P1569 Solenoid Valve Circuit Low Input

P0660 Secondary Shutter Valve (SSV) Open

Thanks!

Sounds like either the VTCS or VICS solenoid up on top of the intake manifold is bad or unplugged. Try unplugging one then the other to see which one is giving codes...........VTCS is just for cold starts for about 30 seconds and should not affect performance at normal temps. The VICS routes air a different path thru the intake manifold based on rpms. If rpms get above 5k then it reorutes the air via butterflies in different position. Neither of these should affect normal driving if not above 5k rpms. Shouldn't be too expensive to replace one of those.............

Wait, looked up P1569 and it refers to VTCS, not VICS. I believe that is the solenoid towards the left when facing the car on top of intake manifold. OK, I'm pretty sure it is the green one in the pic................

323f_Ngin.JPG

Sounds like either the VTCS or VICS solenoid up on top of the intake manifold is bad or unplugged. Try unplugging one then the other to see which one is giving codes...........VTCS is just for cold starts for about 30 seconds and should not affect performance at normal temps. The VICS routes air a different path thru the intake manifold based on rpms. If rpms get above 5k then it reorutes the air via butterflies in different position. Neither of these should affect normal driving if not above 5k rpms. Shouldn't be too expensive to replace one of those.............

Thanks for the help and info. I went out to my car during my break and took these pictures. I wanted to make sure its the same thing I was looking at on the picture you posted. If I have to replace the whole part is it a pain to do or pretty easy?

Thanks!

Solenoid.JPGSolenoid2.JPG

Yeah, you took a pic of the VTCS actuator and the green thing near it is just a check valve IIRC. The solenoid is up on top on the intake manifold where the vacuum line runs to from the actuator in your pic. Easy replacement, not sure of cost.

Don't forget to check you wiring,... It could just be a bad connection,..

code1569a_zps7a19c03a.png

code1569b_zps3f1b683e.png

What are you looking for when checking with a battery? And where do you get the wires connected to the battery?

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have been a bit busy at work and have not had a chance to look into it but I will this weekend hopefully. I will post update once I figure out what to do and after fix.

Thank you for this tip

I was troubleshooting the P1569 + P0660 codes my Protege5 was throwing.

I bought a "GOODEAL" solenoid from Amazon to replace the VTCS solenoid and it reads 40ohm resistance across the terminals (same as stock solenoid). Thought it was my wiring or vac tubes, couldnt figure it out ... (bang)

BUT it doesn't click on the 9V battery test (stock one did). I bought a Dorman solenoid from Amazon and it clicks/actuates with 9V connected.

Back