Cx5 performance parts

Copdodger

:
Cx-5
Hi folks just got my cx5 2.0 sport in the uk just wondered if the performance parts for the mazda 6 same engine would fit cx5 as there seems to b more selection for mazda 6..

If you are referring to the 2.0L(Skyactive) 2014 mazda 6, then yes.. except there are very few performance parts for the motor itself. Aside from custom stuff, you can get a different intake, and engine tuning software. That's about it. I am interested in pulling an exhaust header off a wreck cx-5 and making it less restrictive, and seeing what can be tuned from it.

If you are referring to the 2.0L(Skyactive) 2014 mazda 6, then yes.. except there are very few performance parts for the motor itself. Aside from custom stuff, you can get a different intake, and engine tuning software. That's about it. I am interested in pulling an exhaust header off a wreck cx-5 and making it less restrictive, and seeing what can be tuned from it.

I would be interested in seeing someone buy a new CX-5 exhaust header and having it coated internally with ceramic. If would have to be new for ceramic to coat well. Speed shops offer this service. This should reduce the time and gasoline used on cold start due to better heat retention. Excess gas usage in cold areas seems to be a drawback for the CX-5. Probably wouldn't do you much good since you are in warm San Antonio, but someone up north could benefit.

I'm going to just wait and do a 2.2 liter diesel swap...

Going to trade in my 2013 touring for a 201? GT with the diesel when they finally do bring it stateside... :)

Personally, with regard to the 2.0l I think any performance gains will be negligible at best given the high-revving nature of the motor. I've decided not to bother with spending any money on performance parts for the motor.

If I were inclined to do anything I would focus on lighter wheels and maybe a racing beat exhaust, both of which would reduce weight and thus improve performance and mileage.

I am interested in pulling an exhaust header off a wreck cx-5 and making it less restrictive, and seeing what can be tuned from it.

Given the enormous length of the headers and overall large calibre of the CX-5's exhaust system, I really don't know how that is going to yield good results.

^ This... The amount of R&D that went into precise exhaust gas fluid dynamics in conjunction of the combustion cycles to create a "perfect header" by Mazda will be hard to improve upon. No small private company will replicate or improve upon it for cheap. There is no way I would take the risk to redesign the header, as it is a crucial component for safe operation using specific U.S. octane levels. It's not a typical basic header we've become accustomed to.

Last edited:
I would be interested in seeing someone buy a new CX-5 exhaust header and having it coated internally with ceramic. If would have to be new for ceramic to coat well. Speed shops offer this service. This should reduce the time and gasoline used on cold start due to better heat retention. Excess gas usage in cold areas seems to be a drawback for the CX-5. Probably wouldn't do you much good since you are in warm San Antonio, but someone up north could benefit.

I wouldn't bother. The two advantages of ceramic coating are:
1) Keep header from rusting out
2) Keep engine compartment cool
That last one is a important with headers as they can cook wiring.
If there was efficiency to be gained by coating, Mazda would have done it. All vehicles get crappy mpg when cold; that's because they have not achieve the level of heat for peak efficiency. Bosch did a study on it and found that diesels are the worst at this, sustaining mpg loss of over 30%. i don't see how ceramic coating would help with this.
Fwiw, I have ceramic coated headers on my Chevy and one need thing is that you can grab them after the car has been off for five minutes and not burn a hand. They have been on there for 16 years, still look great.

I would be wary of trying to keep the headers hot as well. Sure, it will help fuel consumption when cold, but a big part of the Skyactiv is very efficient emptying of the hot exhaust gases. If things get too hot internally it will start to ping.

I would be wary of trying to keep the headers hot as well. Sure, it will help fuel consumption when cold, but a big part of the Skyactiv is very efficient emptying of the hot exhaust gases. If things get too hot internally it will start to ping.

Actually, insulating the header keeps the exhaust gases hotter, which reduces their density assisting in efficient evacuation. This generally would minimize heat build-up in the engine (exhaust valves, etc.).

Having said that, I would not recommend doing this on your CX-5 because it could have unintended consequences that would require special tuning adjustments to compensate. Without having sophisticated testing and tuning equipment and abilities there is little point in making trial and error changes with the hope of achieving an improvement.

Actually, insulating the header keeps the exhaust gases hotter, which reduces their density assisting in efficient evacuation. This generally would minimize heat build-up in the engine (exhaust valves, etc.).

I'm not sure that would hold up, see the Hagen-Poiseuille law. Density is not relevant, but rather dynamic viscosity, which actually increases with temperature in a gas. Kinematic viscosity, which relates dynamic viscosity to density, goes up as well.

More from the Hagen-Poiseuille law, if turbulence goes up or radius decreases with the ceramic coating, both will decrease flow rate.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that would hold up, see the Hagen-Poiseuille law. Density is not relevant, but rather dynamic viscosity, which actually increases with temperature in a gas. Kinematic viscosity, which relates dynamic viscosity to density, goes up as well.

No. The lower density gas achieves a higher velocity and this assists with evacuation in a tuned header. It's an old and proven principle.

Still, I wouldn't recommend messing with it on a CX-5 without extensive testing, monitoring and tuning abilities for the reasons stated previously.

Back