Optima Red Top issues

Machiavelli

:
2007 RX-8
My ten month old Red Top just crapped the bed. I was able to get a new one under warranty, but was told by the Summit Racing guy who assisted me that they were seeing issues with these since the ownership change and production moved to Mexico. He stated that if they go down to a zero charge, they will never again hold a charge. That much I can verify since that's exactly what happened to me. I found the RX-8 DOA a few weeks ago, charged it up completely on the charger's AGM setting, and it worked fine for about a week. Then suddenly dead as a door nail. Back on the charger and left on the tender thereafter. I took it off the tender before going out of town for five days (Jackie was convinced it would burn the house down), came back, and it was fully dead again.

What has me a little shocked is that the guy at Summit also said that they should be put on a tender if the car is not run for a day or two. I said "day . . . you mean a week or two?" He said "no, a day or two." That seems a little nuts to me. I'm curious as to the experience others have had with these.

Do a Google search for "Optima Jim + sorry" and you'll find excuse after excuse on about every forum... the new optimas need coddled and a $200+ charger to give the battery a reach around to take a charge(...maybe).

There is a good thread on Pirate 4x4 if you have a few days to read it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/electrical-wiring/913442-batteries-optima-alternatives.html

Get a Deka Intimidator made by East Penn Manufacturing if you want a good American made AGM battery. Bonus is they're cheaper than Optima last time I checked(couple years ago). Carquest sells a rebadged Deka Intimidator called the NGT Extreme.

I had an old Yellow Top that croaked after 13 months. Just long enough for me to miss the warranty period. Decided to not buy another one after that. This makes me even less inclined to buy one.

Back