Frames' Mazda5 Build / Maintenance Thread

Put in AFE Pro 5 air filter today at 15,634 miles. Didn't have a chance to drive it since Fedex always delivers so late here, but revved it and it responds better.

Did some driving with the new air filter. Takes a little less gas to get up to speed, gets me a little better gas mileage, and I won't need to change filters again. Money well spent.

Oil change, and Bosch Icon wipers (First pair on Jetta lasted almost 4 years).

15,812 miles.

Been quite busy with the Jetta for a while, but I finally found the time today to take out the back 2 row seats and cover the whole of the back of the car/van/wagon/crossover (whatever you call it) with sound deadening. RAAMMat and Ensolite.

I have been working on a quad HID projector retrofit in my Jetta and it got me thinking I might want to do a quad projector retrofit on the 5 too. The only reservation I have is that the housing is huge and might be tough to get apart.

Oil Change 20,959 and Tire rotation 21,095 - LF - > RR, RF -> LR.

My business just became an authorized dealer for The Retrofit Source, so I now do projector retrofits, LED upgrades, and just sell their parts outright. Check out my page at http://capturedbypenguins.com/projector-retrofitting/ for the best lighting stuff out there. I haven't gotten all the products up that I sell yet, but I am having a 10% off Black Friday sale this coming weekend.

Going to do some projectors in the fog light housings on the 5 soon.

FWD cars should be rotating cross-to-front ;-)

First time was front to back, second was cross-wise front to back, third was front to back, this time was cross-wise front to back. All my tires have spent 5000 miles at each corner of the car and they are wearing at the EXACT same rate. I've read many people saying on the 3 and 5 that their tires are nearly shot at the same mileage as me, so I'm going to stick with my proven technique.

For your driving and car it's working for you then by all means stick with it, you probably also have a decent alignment guy.
The vast majority of people complaining about uneven tire wear never rotate nor align their car on a regular basis, nor have they rotated cross to front.

Cross to front and diagonal are both accepted FWD methods when the rear of the car, however, every corner has a different wear rate so if tires don't make the rounds they'll likely still wear unevenly.

http://www.randomuseless.info/tires/tires.html

Check the 2nd graph where the wear rate of each corner was plotted to show what would happen if no rotations were done.

Cheers!

For your driving and car it's working for you then by all means stick with it, you probably also have a decent alignment guy.
The vast majority of people complaining about uneven tire wear never rotate nor align their car on a regular basis, nor have they rotated cross to front.

Cross to front and diagonal are both accepted FWD methods when the rear of the car, however, every corner has a different wear rate so if tires don't make the rounds they'll likely still wear unevenly.

http://www.randomuseless.info/tires/tires.html

Check the 2nd graph where the wear rate of each corner was plotted to show what would happen if no rotations were done.

Cheers!

I think we are saying the same thing, just different terminology.

My car has never been aligned. It's only been on the road since August 2013, but I have driven it about 21,100 miles. I'm at 8/32 in the front and 7/32 in the rear.

So far I have rotated:

1: 5,000: Front-to-Rear
2: 10,000: Diagonally front-to-rear
3: 15,000: Front-to-Rear
4: 20,000: Diagonally front-to-rear.
All tires have been at all corners, and now are back to the original positions it rolled off the lot at.

Last edited:
What you should be looking at is the time each tire has spent at each corner, you want them all to be equal in each position, not just the starting point and where you are now.

What you should be looking at is the time each tire has spent at each corner, you want them all to be equal in each position, not just the starting point and where you are now.

Right, exactly. As I said, a couple times before, each one of my tires has spent about 5,000 miles at each corner of the car. This is why I have even wear. They are now going back through the rounds.

Uh so let's talk this out and follow the tire that starts in the left front:
LF
LR
LF
LR
4: 20,000: Diagonally front-to-rear
LR

It's only ever been on the left side because you're skipping flipping 1 axle left-right by the alternation method you're doing.

So do the cross-to-front every time from now on so you'll achieve what you desire.

Uh so let's talk this out and follow the tire that starts in the left front:
LF
LR
LF
LR
4: 20,000: Diagonally front-to-rear
LR

It's only ever been on the left side because you're skipping flipping 1 axle left-right by the alternation method you're doing.

So do the cross-to-front every time from now on so you'll achieve what you desire.

Wrong. You misunderstood. The LF tire went like this:
5,000 to LR
10,000 to RF
15,000 to RR
20,000 to LF

Now that I know you meant cross TO front.

If you diagonal front to rear you're taking the fronts and crossing them to the rear and simply moving the rears forward. In your terms, diagonal front to rear is cross-to-rear.

So let's use standard terminology on this one and start with the Left Rear:
LR
LF
2: 10,000: cross to front
LR
LF
4: 20,000: cross to front
LR

Same result, different starting axle set neglected.

Last edited:
Right. I thought we were saying the same thing from the beginning just using different terminology.

The reason for the mix up is that, I see going diagonal as being the same thing as saying cross-to-front because either way, it's going diagonally across the car.

And you do now see that you're skipping the left-right flip for two, or in another light- half, of your tires?

And you do now see that you're skipping the left-right flip for two, or in another light- half, of your tires?

They are still going L-R, and spending the same time in different positions, so I don't really care. It's still happening, just in a different order. I'm just following the maintenance manual.

Look at post 94, that tire doesn't leave the left side of the car... They are NOT doing L-R

If you think that, then you are misunderstanding yet again. Since I really don't want to explain this another time I am going to write it out with easy words.

At 5000 miles, I moved both front wheels to the back and both rear wheels to the front. The wheels are still on the same side, but have switched from front to back.

At 10,000 miles I took off the front right wheel, and the rear left wheel and swapped them. Then I took off the front left wheel and rear right wheel and swapped those (The wheels have now switched sides. I don't know how to make it any clearer).

At 15,000 I took off the front right wheel and swapped it with the back right wheel. I did the same on the left side.

Now at my 20,000 mile rotation I removed the front right wheel and the rear left wheel. I swapped those. Then I repeated that process for the front left and rear right wheel. (They have switched sides again, back to their original sides and positions and if you still can't see that, I can't help you.) All wheels have now been at all corners of the car for 5,000 miles and now are repeating the cycle.

If it's still unclear, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours, and please don't ask me to explain it again, just leave my thread in peace.

YAY for SPECIFICITY!

Carry on.

The term you're looking for is: X-pattern cross.

Diagonal to rear/diagonal to front/cross to front/cross to rear all mean you're only crossing 2 tires left-right.

And stop acting like it's my understanding that's causing the issue, it's unbecoming.

Back