Tips & tricks for better gas mileage with your CX-5

Bon Scott

Contributor
:
2014.5 CX-5 GT AWD
Overall, I love my new CX-5 (except for the USB issue). I've owned it 6 weeks now and I simply love driving it. Happy that I opted for the larger engine and AWD too. One thing I'm not overly impressed with, however....is the gas mileage. Granted, I bought mine in the last week of February with some reasonably cold weather since then (I've learned the CX-5's mileage isn't that great in winter)...and I've noticed a slightly better mileage in the last 2 weeks as it's been getting warmer...but I've also learned how to drive with less of a lead foot, so to speak....which helps my mileage. I find myself giving it a small burst of gas and then coasting for as long as possible while still maintaining steady speed...and I slowly come to a stop when needed (instead of applying the breaks suddenly). I also use my cruise control whenever possible (even in city driving). Currently I'm averaging 11 liters / 100 kms (I reset after each fillup)....and Mazda Canada advertises 6.6 L hwy and 8.5L city which I think is impossible. Hoping my mileage will get better as I break her in (currently 2000 kms on her).

Was wondering if anyone else with a CX-5 has any other tips or tricks to get better mileage.

Bon

Much the same with any other car although, comparing apples to apples, the Skyactive engine will give better mileage with the same or better performance than other vehicles in the same class.

1) Air resistance (drag) increases with the square of your speed. Limit top speeds. Drag rises rapidly above 50 mph.

2) In traffic, whether city or highway, do not accelerate to a speed which will require braking. Plan ahead.

3) Eliminate unnecessary drag by removing racks and top boxes when not in use.

4) Do not leave junk in your car. Travel with what you really need, not a bunch of permanent junk. Weight is additive

5) Make sure tires are properly inflated. I generally run around 37-38 psi. This provides me with good road feel, good cornering response, good tire wear and good mileage. Lower pressures (such as the recommended 34 psi) achieve a slightly more 'cushy' ride but not much else. Paying special attention to keeping all four tires equal in pressure will reduce rolling resistance.

6) Consider switching to 17" rims. You will have a much more affordable and much better selection of tires as well as better mpg and better acceleration with no significant downside.

7) Trade in the 2.5L model for a 2.0L. You will arrive at your destination just as quickly while burning less fuel.

8) Don't slow down more than necessary for corners. The CX-5 handles great so, as long as conditions are safe to do so, carry your speed through the corner rather than braking to overly cautious speeds to negotiate a corner.

9) There is no need to avoid moderately strong acceleration to get up to speed. The engine is efficient under acceleration up to at least 3000 rpm's. Gaining speed relatively quickly gets you in the sweet mpg zone more quickly.

10) Don't follow the car in front of you too closely. You need a bit of room to anticipate better and avoid brake usage.

11) Drive off as soon as you start your engine, idling wastes fuel.

Last edited:
I agree with everything MikeM said, and one thing in addition is gradually slowing down for red lights. There is no need to go the same speed then rapidly slowing down for a red light, instead let off the gas asap and coast as far as you can, not only are you saving fuel by coasting but you can often times take long enough that the light will turn green before you completely stop, and save gas by not having to start from a complete stop.

I agree with everything MikeM said, and one thing in addition is gradually slowing down for red lights. There is no need to go the same speed then rapidly slowing down for a red light, instead let off the gas asap and coast as far as you can, not only are you saving fuel by coasting but you can often times take long enough that the light will turn green before you completely stop, and save gas by not having to start from a complete stop.

In the UK if you tried this you would have a queue of road raged BMW drivers flashing their headlights behind tailgating about 1 foot from your rear bumper (nervous) OR

they would try and overtake on the other side of the road ignoring what was coming the other way (without indicating of course as indicators never work on BMWs) on a blind bend going up a hill and pull straight in front (without indicating of course) slam their brakes on teaching you a lesson for going too slow up to the red lights and you having to brake harshly anyway as a result.

Also see http://site.plummo.com/category.php?licenseKey=37e6d44add3dfcb44ac279ea80185e7e&ID=1845

Cheers

Jonno21

The other benefit of anticipating stops is less wear and tear on the vehicle. I drive like that, and my Chevy Prizm's clutch lasted 198,xxx miles.

I agree with MikeM with the exception of 6 & 7 if you are ultimately just trying to save money. These techniques are what some would say are basic hypermiling techniques. The goal is to use your brakes as little as possible. One thing no one mentioned was using the MPG instant display to help you learn how to drive efficiently. You can learn a lot on what works best by using this tool. Using the Mazda synthetic oil with Moly seems to improve gas mileage as well over conventional oils although I have no evidence of this to prove it, just anecdotal.

I'm glad I don't drive in the UK although I do run into those drivers from time to time. Best thing to do is to just ignore them and let them go. Last year there was a pickup truck in front of me with huge stones falling off the back of it. One bounced off my car and hit the windshield of the driver behind me and broke it. That guy kept trying to run me off the road by getting in front of me and slamming on his brakes and motioning me to pull over. He was even throwing stuff out the window at my car. When he realized I was on the phone with the police though he got off that highway quick. My CX5 was only a few days old too.

GS, so 17" wheels, not your 19" ones
we're still a little shy of the 2k distance mark, just under 2 mths, 3 fills and a partial
60/40 hwy-city
assertive driving as required ;)

using Fuelly to track - pretty consistent with in car stats - 27.5 mpg / 8.6 L/100km

ok with mileage so far (kilometrage is such a stupid word IMO LOL)

-Trade in the 2.5L model for a 2.0L. You will arrive at your destination just as quickly while burning less fuel.

this is been debated before and the 2.5L has been proven to match or exceed the effciency of the 2.5L. 185 ft/lb of torque at 3250RPM VS 150 at 4000RPM gives you a huge advantage because you do not need to rev the car as hard to get going. like you said, you do not waste fuel by revving this engine to 3000RPM to get up to speed. in the 2L, you are using more fuel when driving aggressively or accelerating.

the 2.5L and 2L 6 speed skyactiv transmission has the identical gear ratios, yet the extra torque in the 2.5L allows for better shift points especially while downshifting. the smaller more stressed 2L will not get you better mileage unless you drive slow.

Back