Need Help with Choosing New CX-5 Tires

madcar11

:
2013 cx 5 GT
Hi all,*

I am a forum newbie. All forums. lol.

I have a 2013 cx-5 GT. The stock tires are shot at only 38,000k. Bummer. I find all the info on what tires are best, overwhelming! There are not a lot of options to stick to my stock size of 225/55/19. The reviews are mixed. What do you have on yours? What would you recommend?*

I am willing to switch out to 17" . If I go that route, what would you suggest?*

Last but not least, (remember, i am car challenged), what are my options for 17" rims? Do they have to be 114?*

Thank you for your help and support! This domestic diva apppreciates it more than you know!

If you have the 19 inch wheels already, keep those, you can look for 235 55 r 19 wheels, there will be more options
and the fitment overall diameter is still fine.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...dth=235/&ratio=55&diameter=19&wtpackage=false

Actually, it is even possible to fit up to 255 wide tires on the stock 7 inch wide rims.
just use tis tire size calculator to see fitments:
http://www.1010tires.com/tools/tire-size-calculator

using 225 55 r 19 as a oem value
or 225 65 r 17 wich is the 17 inch oem tire size.

As for the rim information:

19x7: is the diameter (19) and width (7) in inches

offset: is more complicated to explain in words, but is roughly the distance between the absolute center of a wheel and the actual contact point of this wheel to the hub. this value is important for the wheel to be properly situated in the fender (not too close to the brakes and not to close to the fender to avoid rubbing) Its important to take into account that using a different wheel width will affect what offset is still ok. (generally speaking for mazda the OEM offset is about 50mm , and aftermarket wheels with the same width as the OEM can safely range in offset between 35 and 55 (usually looks, and handles better with a smaller value (closer to the fender).
offsetdiagram1.jpg

the Hub size: (67.1) is the diameter in mm of the hub ring on witch the wheel is bolted on to.
It can be larger, but never smaller. when larger, its important to purchase hub rings so that the wheel sits centered when bolting it to the hub

the bolt pattern: (5x 114.3) is the nuber of bolts (5) and the distance between the bolts 114.3 mm
This is the only value that must absolutely always be the same for the wheel to fit.

Last edited:
BTW Madcar: 38k miles is really not that bad for a tire that has a tread wear rating of 280.

Hi all,*

I have a 2013 cx-5 GT. The stock tires are shot at only 38,000k. Bummer. I find all the info on what tires are best, overwhelming! There are not a lot of options to stick to my stock size of 225/55/19. The reviews are mixed. What do you have on yours? What would you recommend?*

I am willing to switch out to 17" . If I go that route, what would you suggest?*

Last but not least, (remember, i am car challenged), what are my options for 17" rims? Do they have to be 114?*

Thank you for your help and support! This domestic diva apppreciates it more than you know!

Your driving style should determine your tire choice. Are you looking for comfort? Are you and aggressive driver? etc.ect

My CX-5 is the Touring trim level with 17" wheels. I picked up a set of take-off 18" wheels from a Mazda3 s Touring. I will be using these wheels for summer tires after my stock Geolanders wear out. 18" wheels should give me more choices at a better price point than the 19" wheels that come stock on the Grand Touring.
If I were buying summer tires today, I'd get a set of these: http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/potenza-re97-as/225-60r18.
Since I probably won't buy summer tires until next spring, I'll have to look and see if anything more interesting come to market in the next 9 months.
I will be putting a set of winter tires on my OEM 17" wheels this fall. My Geolanders will likely be at around 27k miles and not be completely worn out, but the tread will be shallow enough that the performance in the rain and wet will be reduced..

My CX-5 is the Touring trim level with 17" wheels. I picked up a set of take-off 18" wheels from a Mazda3 s Touring. I will be using these wheels for summer tires after my stock Geolanders wear out. 18" wheels should give me more choices at a better price point than the 19" wheels that come stock on the Grand Touring.
If I were buying summer tires today, I'd get a set of these: http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/potenza-re97-as/225-60r18.
Since I probably won't buy summer tires until next spring, I'll have to look and see if anything more interesting come to market in the next 9 months.
I will be putting a set of winter tires on my OEM 17" wheels this fall. My Geolanders will likely be at around 27k miles and not be completely worn out, but the tread will be shallow enough that the performance in the rain and wet will be reduced..
Sounds like someone is planning ahead. Good choices!

Hi all,*

I have a 2013 cx-5 GT. The stock tires are shot at only 38,000k. Bummer.

Welcome Madcar! Can you tell me if your premature wear was uneven? Or worn more on the inner side of the treads?

Toyo has a new tire out that seems to be a replacement for the A23's on our GT's: http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/versado-cuv-crossover-suv-touring-all-season-tires

Anybody with a 2015 GT: what model are the Toyo's that came on your vehicle? A23?

Yes Minnesota, my 2015 has Toyo A23s.

I have the touring model and have been tire shopping. I'm kind of an aggressive driver and the treads on the OEM Yoko are looking low at 33k miles. I'm looking at this currently which has great reviews and tire life for the price, but worried it might be too soft leading to worse sway. It doesn't get too cold where I live, but does rain plenty and snow some.

Yep, A23. In fact, the sidewall just blew out on my wife while she was on the freeway. 3700 miles...

Just an update - looks like she drove over something sharp...the sidewall only blew out after it went flat.

Bumping.

What are some good all-season tires? Seattle doesn't necessarily get bad winters, so I'm not worried about obtaining winter tires, but I am interested in replacing the OEM tires in the near future.

Back