Anyone have extended warranty?

SayNoToPistons

Wheels, not rims...
:
CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech, RX-8 GT 6spd w/ 'goodies'
Just wondering who actually opted for extended warranty and is familiar with Mazda's program. I'm closing in on 18k miles and it just got me thinking, granted I still haven't took the CX-5 in for warranty work. Partly due to the fact that the closest reputable dealer I would let touch my CX-5 is over an hour (40 miles) away.

Hopefully you won't need anything beyond the scheduled maintenance and normal consumables - the early owner service surveys and my own experience with the very businesslike and straightforward running qualities of the engine and transmission lead me to think positive things about the longer-term reliability of the drivetrain.

Personally, I would only purchase insurance (extended warranty) if I couldn't cover the cost of a major engine or transmission repair without serious life consequences.

That way I'm the one making the money the extended warranty company would have made (thumb)

Mazda's extended warranty program is run through All State. Not a direct Mazda thing. I got it when new but I was just stupid. If you want one, call your insurance company, or even AAA and they often have plans available. In most cases they are 1/4 of what the dealers charge.

I got it when new but I was just stupid.

I got it and I think they were stupid to sell it to me. For the average miles I put on it my factory warranty would run out in less than 2.5 years. I did the 10 year which was like 1700 I think. So I bought 7 years coverage at $1700/7 yrs = $245 per year to cover any and all major issues. Not a bad investment if you ask me. If you've every had to change a manifold gasket or had an electronic issue you could not debug, this is well worth it.

No. I have zero need for a 3rd party overpriced/high profit extended warranty. I can afford any likely repairs during ownership.

I got it and I think they were stupid to sell it to me.

Companies that sell extended warranties would be out of business if they didn't make a profit on their average warranty sale. They also have a lot of over head like sales incentives, legal departments and court costs that occur when a purchaser sues them for denying a warranty claim the consumer thinks is covered. There are other expenses of running such a business that essentially gets paid by the purchaser of the warranty.

So I bought 7 years coverage at $1700/7 yrs = $245 per year to cover any and all major issues. Not a bad investment if you ask me.

If you bought your car/extended warranty with an auto loan you are paying a lot more than $1700. Even you paid $1700 cash, that is in 2013 dollars and fails to account for the time value of money. Any repairs that may be covered by the warranty are much more likely to occur near the end of ten years rather the beginning. These things MUST be considered if you are going to look at a warranty purchase as an 'investment'.

If you've every had to change a manifold gasket or had an electronic issue you could not debug, this is well worth it.

Not true. It would require multiple repairs of this nature to re-coup your original 'investment' plus interest. I don't expect anything to go wrong with my manifold gasket, neither does the company selling extended warranties - they would be out of business years ago if they paid out more money than sales.

Plus, who wants to bet against the long-term reliability of a car like the CX-5 that shows every indication of being a modern and well engineered car?

My insurance offers it at $90/year up to 7 years and can be terminated at anytime.

All valid points. But repair affordability, yeah, if most people have their vehicles paid off between 60 and 100K miles, it's likely you can afford whatever comes up after because the payments on CX-5s run between $300-600 per month. So even an exceptionally bad year with $2K repairs should still have you ahead on your budget. Until such time, warranties aren't a terrible idea through the life of the loan.

My loan is for 72 months, so I'll definitely consider my options after 36. And be especially leary of loaded models, because there are more bells and whistles that can fail or throw trouble codes. A B2B warranty on a Sport may not be as useful as on a GT. Mine was just registering a blind spot object with nothing there. And I'm at mile 100. A thin coating of road salt? Maybe. Worried? Not yet. Also depends on how important peace of mind is to you.

The B2B the dealer offered me was an extra $25 a month. I didn't get it, but it's not exceptionally unreasonable considering I'm paying almost $500 (after even trade and no money down). It all depends on what your current budget calls for. If I wasn't paying $1500 a month to my ex-wife, I would've bought the longer B2B warranty and never thought twice. Or I may have bought a $40+K SUV. Heh.

TMI. But 3rd party extended warranties and alimony payments fall into category of money down the drain.

If peace of mind is the goal, a $2K CD at Wells Fargo bank gives me far more peace of mind that a $2Kish extended warranty.

More on topic, I'm closing in on 27K miles, and still feel no compelling reason to consider extended warranty.

Last edited:
I purchased it and I'm glad I did because I'm starting to put a lot more miles on my car as of this past year.
I am however very sad to say that I purchased the rust proofing as well.. They did a terrible job and I had to go back several times to have them clean up the yellow gunk they left visible.
If I knew how to remove the stuff without damaging the car I would try and remove it all once the warm weather comes my way.

My CX-7 went over 150k with nothing happening that would have been covered by an extended warranty and would still be going if I hadn't hit a tree :(

Read an extended warranty's fine print, no shade tree garage, only OEM parts which means no upgrades or you void the whole thing.

Back