626 FS-DE replacing a Protege 5 FS-DE

sethro_GT

:
88 323GT, 03 P5, 07 M5
my P5 threw a rod and I purchased a 100kish 2002 626 auto FS-DE from a junk yard. Bolted all the P5 bits onto the long block, dropped it in, and it wont run. Acts like the timing belt is way off but I've checked it several times, at TDC the I on intake lines up with the E on exhaust perfectly. Compression is 120psi (a little low I think).

I didn't change the cams and I'm worried I hosed myself by not doing so. I took the core back so the P5 cams are long gone, however, there are some at the pullit yard if needed. Are the timing belt sprockets different?

Thanks for any help!

I think you hit the nail on the head, ive heard the 626 cam gear only has 1 magnet. In order for the engine to run it must have 3 magnets.

Last edited:
You can only use the block of the 626 when going this route. We did this to my dad's P5 and could only use the block, everything else you have to use P5 junk or it will not work.

That falls inline with the symptoms I'm seeing. I've pulled 1 and 3 plug wires to test spark and it didn't affect the limping idle whatsoever to have one not even firing. Looks like I'm making a trip to the pullit yard tomorrow after work.

I hope you're wrong that only the block is compatible. I checked the castings numbers on both engines and all matched. I really don't want to buy a head and do a head job to boot.

One more thing, have I lost some horsepower using the automatic 626 cams?

as long as the 626 from the last generation(FS9) the long block is the same.

Im running a 626 head i pulled from the junk yard. I left the cams and sprokets at the junk yard and it was more then a year a go so i can't remember if the cams are the same.

Pulled timing sprockets today and sure enough the protg's have 3 bumps to the 626's 1. Probably has something to do with coil on plug setup. I'm getting real good at pulling the timing belt on this 2.0.

FWIW, the 2002 Protg DX I pulled them from has the same cam's as the 2002 626 engine I have. FS1G and FSD7

You can only use the block of the 626 when going this route. We did this to my dad's P5 and could only use the block, everything else you have to use P5 junk or it will not work.
Then you used an eary FS engine. Had you used a later engine, it would have worked without issue. Much like anything else drivetrain related, you can use the majority of parts from 93+. I am rockin' a '97 Probe transmission in my speed. And my built block is from an 00' 626.

Sorry. Didn't mean to resurrect a 6 month-old thread.

Back