VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed 1st Gen Mazdaspeed seats in 1st Gen Mazda 5 (PIC Heavy)

08 Mazda5 Sport, 10 CX9 Touring

Thank you, njaremka. Looking back I really enjoyed doing the conversion and I'm completely happy with the seats.

2010 Mazda5 Touring

We're #1... ..at sending our Governors to jail!
    Hey Loosenut, question.

Is their a techincal term or service code on the receipt for this procedure? I tried to explain it to the service manager and he had no clue of what I was talking about, and then he said it SHOULD reset on its own. SHOULD!!! There's only one way to find out right!!??? I hate service managers who know nothing about cars. I'm supposed to be calling him back today.
    Last edited by hibern8r; 04-03-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Donated: $0.61

2011 MX5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by hibern8r View Post
    Hey Loosenut, question.

Is their a techinical term or service code on the receipt for this procedure? I tried to explain it to the service manager and he had no clue of what I was talking about, and then he said it SHOULD reset on its own. SHOULD!!! There's only one way to find out right!!??? I hate service managers who know nothing about cars. I'm supposed to be calling him back today.
    just tell him that you had an airbag replaced, and you need the system recalibrated. if he has no clue, find another dealer.
    Nik
    2012 Mini S Clubman

Previous:
    2011 Black MX-5 GT
    2001 Black Mica Protege ES 2.0

2010 Mazda5 Touring

That's exactly what I told him! ^^^

Did he ask his lead technician? If not he needs to. Most service managers don't know technical details like this, but he should have said I don't know let me ask. This is a process they should be doing when removing the pass side seat. Like I said, when the control module is disconnected it loses programming and will set internal codes, then rely on a basic program for seat weight. To ensure proper operation, the module should be programmed with the above pictured calibration weights. If they don't know about this procedure, unfortunately you'll have to find one that does.

Edit: Like I stated in the how-to, the air bag light will not be on. A pass seat weight calibration error code will be set in system that needs to be cleared and then the above procedure done. Note: procedure will not work if they don't first do a code clear.
    Last edited by loosenut; 04-03-2014 at 12:17 PM.

2010 Mazda5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    Did he ask his lead technician? If not he needs to.
    That's why I'm calling back today, he said he would ask, but only after he saw I was determined not to accept his answer, and I probably had a look on my face that told him hwe was full of crap. Is "saying I don't know, but I can find out really a terrible thing?" I think a person looks worse just throwing out random answers. If I do this mod (and I know I will since the only thing I don't like is the seat) I may actually have to drive it Columbus where they did yours.

2010 Mazda5 Touring

OK, $130 and they only have to do the passenger side. Got my answer in less than two mins. Apparently the guy I talked to yesterday told the tech that I wanted the airbag calibrated to be on all the time. Huh? Anyway, I guess that saves me a trip to Ohio. Loved Cedar Point by the way.

2009 Mazda 5 Touring & 2012 MS3

Nice work! I'm gonna try 2nd gen seats in a month or so. Seeing what you went through for gen 1, I'm not at all optimistic about the 2nd gen seat swap. I'm not sure i would take apart my speed seats since i'll need to put them back in my car lol But it's good to know that after i lose my mind fighting a 2nd gen seat in and failing i can just do what you did! Buuut, i would probably do something about the beige seat bases. That would drive me nuts. Maybe a quality spray paint? Sourcing black bases from an ebay junker is unlikely since they'd probably want to sell me the whole seat.

As i side note, i did run into gen2 speed 3 POWER seats on ebay

I understand what your saying about the seat base trim, but I actually like it. To me it matches what is already going on with the black/tan trim in the vehicle anyway. To me the only thing that really looks sort of out of place is the grey inserts of the seats themselves, but then I rationalize that the grey kind of matches the silver trim of the shifter and radio

Hibern8r, sorry to hear you got such a runaround but I'm glad they finally got you an answer. I look forward to seeing pics whenever you're done. By your location tagline I'm assuming Illinois, if that's correct and the dealer you're working with doesn't pan out I have a connection that will help me find you one who will.

2010 Mazda5 Touring

Thank You. Right now, I go to CJ Wilson. Other than that, they've been pretty ok as dealerships goes. At least they weren't trying to fleece me... I remember another wanting $509 for front pads, said I was in the red, I wasn't. Not even halfway through the pad. I'll definitely keep you posted on how its going. I'm trying to find some all black at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
    ...To me the only thing that really looks sort of out of place is the grey inserts of the seats themselves, but then I rationalize that the grey kind of matches the silver trim of the shifter and radio
    now your reaching lol

Quote Originally Posted by hibern8r View Post
    Thank You. Right now, I go to CJ Wilson. Other than that, they've been pretty ok as dealerships goes. At least they weren't trying to fleece me... I remember another wanting $509 for front pads, said I was in the red, I wasn't. Not even halfway through the pad. I'll definitely keep you posted on how its going. I'm trying to find some all black at a decent price.
    So you're going with grand touring seats from a regular 3? loosenut discovered they're pretty much identical.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...=1#post6281931

I hope to wrap the rest of the seats to "match" with this (no two-tone though):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110766213947...84.m1436.l2649
    Last edited by MR6; 04-04-2014 at 08:39 AM.

To clarify, second gen (2010-2013) mz3/Speed3 seats differ only in cover design and I believe the red dot design on black was standard on Speed3, while first gen speed3 seats had a larger difference in bolstering and shoulder support from the mz3 seats. Speed3 seats were available in several different color schemes, including all black, during its first gen run. I could be wrong but I think hibern8r is looking to put all black first gen Speed3 seats in his mz5.

2010 Mazda5 Touring

That's correct! Black leather/cloth to be exact. And thanks for the clarification!!! Wife pinched me a little bit off the tax return so I'm trying to stay in budget.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast