Installed 1st Gen Mazdaspeed seats in 1st Gen Mazda5

Did he ask his lead technician? If not he needs to.

That's why I'm calling back today, he said he would ask, but only after he saw I was determined not to accept his answer, and I probably had a look on my face that told him hwe was full of crap. Is "saying I don't know, but I can find out really a terrible thing?" I think a person looks worse just throwing out random answers. If I do this mod (and I know I will since the only thing I don't like is the seat) I may actually have to drive it Columbus where they did yours.

OK, $130 and they only have to do the passenger side. Got my answer in less than two mins. Apparently the guy I talked to yesterday told the tech that I wanted the airbag calibrated to be on all the time. Huh? Anyway, I guess that saves me a trip to Ohio. Loved Cedar Point by the way.

Nice work! I'm gonna try 2nd gen seats in a month or so. Seeing what you went through for gen 1, I'm not at all optimistic about the 2nd gen seat swap. I'm not sure i would take apart my speed seats since i'll need to put them back in my car lol But it's good to know that after i lose my mind fighting a 2nd gen seat in and failing i can just do what you did! Buuut, i would probably do something about the beige seat bases. That would drive me nuts. Maybe a quality spray paint? Sourcing black bases from an ebay junker is unlikely since they'd probably want to sell me the whole seat.

As i side note, i did run into gen2 speed 3 POWER seats on ebay (shocked)

I understand what your saying about the seat base trim, but I actually like it. To me it matches what is already going on with the black/tan trim in the vehicle anyway. To me the only thing that really looks sort of out of place is the grey inserts of the seats themselves, but then I rationalize that the grey kind of matches the silver trim of the shifter and radio (hand)

Hibern8r, sorry to hear you got such a runaround but I'm glad they finally got you an answer. I look forward to seeing pics whenever you're done. By your location tagline I'm assuming Illinois, if that's correct and the dealer you're working with doesn't pan out I have a connection that will help me find you one who will.

Thank You. Right now, I go to CJ Wilson. Other than that, they've been pretty ok as dealerships goes. At least they weren't trying to fleece me... I remember another wanting $509 for front pads, said I was in the red, I wasn't. Not even halfway through the pad. I'll definitely keep you posted on how its going. I'm trying to find some all black at a decent price.

...To me the only thing that really looks sort of out of place is the grey inserts of the seats themselves, but then I rationalize that the grey kind of matches the silver trim of the shifter and radio (hand)

now your reaching lol

Thank You. Right now, I go to CJ Wilson. Other than that, they've been pretty ok as dealerships goes. At least they weren't trying to fleece me... I remember another wanting $509 for front pads, said I was in the red, I wasn't. Not even halfway through the pad. I'll definitely keep you posted on how its going. I'm trying to find some all black at a decent price.

So you're going with grand touring seats from a regular 3? loosenut discovered they're pretty much identical.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...to-a-Mazda-5&p=6281931&viewfull=1#post6281931

I hope to wrap the rest of the seats to "match" with this (no two-tone though):

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
To clarify, second gen (2010-2013) mz3/Speed3 seats differ only in cover design and I believe the red dot design on black was standard on Speed3, while first gen speed3 seats had a larger difference in bolstering and shoulder support from the mz3 seats. Speed3 seats were available in several different color schemes, including all black, during its first gen run. I could be wrong but I think hibern8r is looking to put all black first gen Speed3 seats in his mz5.

That's correct! Black leather/cloth to be exact. And thanks for the clarification!!! Wife pinched me a little bit off the tax return so I'm trying to stay in budget.

Before I sold my Subaru on ebay, my wife helped me fix the front seat where the bolster had a whole and it had worn down in the back. So I went to the J yard but they only had a passenger seat that looked decent and I needed the driver seat. Well, I got the passenger seat home and I just took the covering off, flipped it inside out so my wife could undo the seams on the panels that I needed and then transferred them to the original seat. I couldn't just use the whole seat from the junk yard because it had cigarette burns in the bottom cushion. Anyway, it came out perfect after she sewed in the replacement panels. Now I just had 2 small panels, your seats is two sections. Its doable if you have the time. But the seat would have to be really unusuable that you get the donor panels from. Otherwise, you're just buying new seats. I say leave em as is.

hibern8r, if you're responding to what I said to MR6 about the grey sections, indeed, I will be leaving them as is. I like the look of the seats almost as much as I like the way they feel. I have personally seen worse looking stock interiors. I will be getting seat covers for the second and third row eventually but it is low priority at this point. I could have changed just the seat frame trim from the beige to the black of the Speed3 seat but I think that would have looked bad because all the other lower trim peices in the car would be beige. To me this is the best result and I'm happy with it.

You definitely upgraded over stock loosenut. I'm about to take an 809 mile trip and I know my butts gonna be howling by the time I get there. Planning on plenty stops. I NEVER liked the seat, but the rest of my 5 makes for a pleasant distraction.

phunky.buddha, I never said thank you for moving this to the how-to section. Poor forum form (shady)on my part, so thank you.

1 year review of my Mazdaspeed 3 seat install: my favorite modification to this car as it's one I touch and get the benefit of everyday. I don't daily get to push the suspension or the brakes but the seats improve my drive in the 5 every time I sit in them. I don't get leg fatigue on long trips anymore and I don't shift in the seat on sharp turns like I used to. Do I miss the fold down armrest? Not in the least bit. I have since installed seat covers (ebay specials) to the second and third row to unify the colors, I'll post some pics after she gets her spring cleanup.
A bit of of info I picked up since install, the code that sets in the seat weight module when it defaults may turn on the airbag warning lamp in model years after '08. Mazda must have changed the programming so customers couldn't drive around unaware with that module defaulted.
I'm hoping someone will take up the challenge on a second gen 5. That would be interesting to see.

If I could find a cheap set of seats locally I'd try it. Otherwise I won't attempt or will at least try to find second gen 3 seats. The stock 5 seats suck

I think it would be easier to find second gen 3 seats and they have the same bolstering as the speed 3. Plus you have more color options.

I'm looking seriously at doing this, even found a good deal on seats that I can pick up this weekend, but I have a couple of questions:

Are the Speed3 seat bottoms longer than the 5 bases? I think I've isolated the comfort problem I have with my 5 to a total lack of any support under my lower thighs, from the combination of the seat being too low in the front and being too short front to back. I know people have raised the bases up in the front, and I'll probably be doing that whether I keep the stock seats or switch to the Speed3 ones, but I think it would really help me more if the seating surface was longer/deeper, too.

Thanks! I've reached a point where I'm thinking about selling the 5 because my knees hurt every time I drive it, and I don't really want to do that!

how tall are you loosenut? i'm 6ft and find at the lowest and farthest back the stock seats sit me far too close and high, so if anything i would like to swap in the speed3 seats using their bases so i can be a little lower. i will be driving my 5 a lot more and as it stands now its very uncomfortable for me for anything more than 30minutes. i've always liked the speed3 seats so finding this thread today was great!

Back