How To: Install LED Strips in CX5 Cargo Area

:
95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD
Goal:
Placement and wiring of 2 LED strips on the bottom surface of the hatch, 2 LED strips above the “wheel wells” in the cargo area, a mercury switch on the hatch, and the power switch above the cargo cigarette lighter while retaining the functionality of the cigarette lighter.

IMG_20131117_172853_492_zps23ee114a.jpg

IMG_20131117_172956_498_zps8db35ecf.jpg

Materials:
- LEDS: 4 12inch 5k LED strips from VLED. (wires/leads already come attached)
http://www.vleds.com/white-5k-interior-led-strip-lights.html
To be honest, 12” strips are pretty overkill but pretty impressive. It’s VERY bright. I get reactions like “holy crap that’s bright” from people seeing the lights for the first time at night. You can mix it up with 2 12in strips for the cargo area and 2 6” strips for the hatch/overhead lighting. Or just do 6” strips all around.
- Mercury switch: I got one from Parts express on Amazon. Any other ones should work too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
- Power switch: Any 12V toggle switch should do. This is what I got
- In line Fuse: I used one that takes mini fuses.
- Fuse: 3amp mini fuse from the auto parts store
- Wires: 2 reels of red and black 20ga wires.
- Wire taps: 2 wire taps for 16ga wires from the autoparts store
- Male Blade connectors: small box of blade connectors that fit the wire taps from the auto parts store
- Female Blade connectors: small box of blade receivers that fit the back of the power switch and male blade connectors

IMG_20131117_133533_455_zps5edb6fc8.jpg

Tools:
- Plastic crowbar or flat blade to remove interior panels. Flat head screw driver covered with tape works too.
- Pliers to crimp connectors
- razor blade
- electrical tape or painters tape
- coat hanger (something to snake wires with)
- 10mm socket wrench
- Power drill and ” drill bit

Wiring Diagram:
This is how I wired the system up based on the power switch that I have. Power switches without a built in LED light may not need a power and ground wire. I did not wire the LEDs in a series.

20131205_234653_zpsf86f4089.jpg

Steps:
1. Pull “cargo power” fuse from the fuse panel next to the dead pedal the the driver’s foot area. This will keep you from shorting anything when dealing with the cigarette lighter in the back.

2. Use the plastic crowbar to remove the plastic cover above the cargo cigarette lighter. Reach in and push the cigarette lighter out. Tabs holding it in are on the 3 and 9 o’clock positions. This may take some force, but move it left and right like a joystick while pushing out. Once it’s out, unplug the cigarette lighter from the connector.

IMG_20131117_133630_120_zps669c474a.jpg

IMG_20131117_133739_910_zpsba8046b5.jpg

3. Use the razor blade and cut away 1-1.5inches of the wrapped electrical tape. Goal is to make room to put the wire taps in for each wire. BE CAREFUL TO NOT CUT INTO THE WIRES! Install wire taps onto each wire. BLACK WIRE IS GROUND. BLUE WIRE IS POWER.

IMG_20131117_134505_201_zps81cb0571.jpg

4. Now have access to the power and ground. This would be a good time to test out your components. (plug fuse back in for power) Note: Will update with which wire is ground and which is power.

5. Time to remove interior panels! You may also remove your cargo cover at this point. Start with the top center hatch piece. You can use your plastic crowbar to get started, but once you get your fingers under, some careful pulling will remove the center piece.

IMG_20131117_141740_280_zpscf6cdf93.jpg

IMG_20131117_141943_014_zps44318e25.jpg

6. Use the crowbar to remove the 2 access panels on the main part of the hatch under the window.

IMG_20131117_142046_537_zpsf9cd7444.jpg

7. Measure and cut the lengths of wire for the LEDs and mercury switch on the hatch. I used red and black wire for each LED strip and 2 black wires for the mercury switch. There should be a total of 6 wires coming from the hatch to go down to the cigarette lighter. Label the wires.

Like using a rope to measure a curvy line, start at the access panels on the hatch, go along the perimeter of the glass, over to the center panel on the hatch, over the right rubber tube connecting the hatch to the top of the body, along the ceiling and down to where the cigarette lighter is. Do the same for the mercury switch, which is mounted in the top center area of the hatch.

8. Remove 3 pins from the top of the ceiling liner to gain access to the ceiling.

9. Now is the tricky part. Unclip the rubber tube from the hatch to the body. This took quite a bit of prying and force. There are 4 tabs to press in at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions for each end.

10. With some tape and a short piece of a clothes hanger, snake the wires through the rubber tube connecting the hatch to the body. I found that 2 wires at a time worked best.

IMG_20131117_150237_027_zpse61413a0.jpg

11. Peel away the rubber trunk seal and use crowbar to pry ceiling liner and C pillar panels and snake wires down to the cigarette lighter.

IMG_20131117_151611_552_zps0c34c748.jpg

IMG_20131117_151621_210_zps04ba8361.jpg

IMG_20131117_151631_146_zps03568902.jpg

12. Once wires are through, reinstall ceiling liner and pins and snap back the side interior panel and reinstall the rubber seal.

13. Snake corresponding wires through the hatch. You can continue pulling away the hatch’s interior panels enough to bring the wires through to each access panel.

IMG_20131117_152309_426_zps1d13a1fc.jpg

14. Now that the wiring for the hatch is in place, it’s time to place wires for the LED on the other side of the cargo area. Measure and cut red and black wire starting at the cigarette lighter, going down and following the rear edge (rear of the car) of the cargo area and across to the other access panel (to the rear of existing cargo light) on the driver side of the cargo area.

15. Remove the cargo floor and trim piece at the rear of the cargo bay.

IMG_20131117_155847_576_zps95b6ae70.jpg

16. Use 10mm socket wrench to remove the rear cargo tie downs. Use crow bar to pry away the rear trim pieces enough to snake red and black wires to each of the opposite access panels. I ran and secured the 2 wires along the existing cable using electrical tape.

IMG_20131117_155829_066_zps881ffea1.jpg

17. Reinstall cargo tie downs, rear panel trim and cargo floor. Now all the wires are in place.

18. Install mercury switch using double sided tape. I had to angle the mercury switch because, when installed flat on the surface, moderate braking or going over moderate bumps would trigger the mercury switch and cause the LEDs to flicker. Angling it makes it more difficult to trigger the mercury switch when driving around.

With the seats up, I don’t notice the flickering, but with the seats down at night, it will still flicker on the big bumps and hard braking. I would suggest to turn off the LEDs via the switch when driving with the seats folded down at night, so they don’t flicker.

IMG_20131119_164844_295_zpsc7504032.jpg

IMG_20131119_164857_515_zps9a220544.jpg

19. Connect the mercury switch to the black wires meant for the mercury switch using the male and female blade connectors..

20. Drill ” hole in the passenger side’s access panel cover for power switch. Be mindful of the ribs. Choose flat section of the cover. Place switch in hole.

IMG_20131117_170407_290_zps3c78ebab.jpg

IMG_20131117_170417_241_zps92ec5f4f.jpg

21. Follow the wiring diagram and wire up all the LEDs using the Male and Female blade connectors to the mini fuse and switch. I was able to use the blade connectors on the blades of the switch too. BLACK WIRE IS GROUND. BLUE WIRE IS POWER.

20140320_175843_zpsb0ca00f0.jpg

20131205_234653_zpsf86f4089.jpg

22. Reinstall fuse to test the lights.

23. Place/stick LED strips in their permanent locations with the end of the strip/start of the wires at the edges of the access panels for a cleaner look. Be sure the clean the surfaces that the LEDs are being stuck to for better adhesion.

24. Place all panels back.

20131215_092814_zps59a4c998.jpg

20131215_092840_zpsb058065a.jpg

20131215_092847_zps36db173e.jpg

20131215_092859_zpsba318e60.jpg

25. Enjoy your newly transformed cargo area!

IMG_20131117_172853_492_zps23ee114a.jpg

IMG_20131117_172956_498_zps8db35ecf.jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the effort, detailed explanation and pics. This has now moved to near the top of my planned mods. Just have to assemble parts and carve out a weekend to get it done.

Thanks again.

Glad you guys can understand it.

But if you don't, I'll do my best to clarify or answer questions.

Only issues I have are just the sensitivity of the mercury switch flickering the lights on big bumps and hard braking and the LEDs unsticking a bit on hot days. The flickering isn't a big deal since I only notice it on night drives with the back seats folded down. LEDs unsticking is an easy fix of applying stronger glue. Just need time to do it. lol

Instead of using the mercury switch couldn't you wire the existing cargo light to a relay and use that?

Instead of using the mercury switch couldn't you wire the existing cargo light to a relay and use that?

The rear cargo light is connected to a very sensitive module which is known to blow out pretty easily, it's much safer/cheaper in the long run to just wire it to the cigarette power as shown.

A few questions on the mercury switch idea:

- Any rationale on that selection over say... a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) or a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)?

Granted, you would have an exposed switch in the worst case (roller lever) or a little black box sticking out at some location which can get damaged (magnetic switch), but they wouldn't have the side effects of the mercury switch, it seems like.

Is tapping into the front dome lights an option? Would require a bit of wire snaking but at least that assembly is a more robust featuring a dedicated fuse.

Last edited:
The magnetic proximity switch or roller lever switch would definitely work if you can find a clean way to mount it. I was thinking of something along the lines of a roller lever switch, but couldn't think of a way to mount it without modifying the interior panels. I did use a roller lever switch for adding a light to the glove compartment of my protege5, which didn't require any modifications, it was just a matter of mounting the switch and finding a power source.

If you can find a way to cleanly mount the magnetic proximity switch, let us know. It would solve the minor flickering problem.

As for tapping into the dome light, the use of the cargo area is independent of the dome light. So if you don't open the passenger doors when opening the trunk, you won't get any light. Or...if you open the passenger doors with out opening the trunk, the cargo lights would still come on.

I tried doing this mod using the 12v cigarette socket. But it seems that I need to put my car to acc mode before I can switch on the LED's. Is there a way to tap power even if the power is switch off?

Probably you could connect it to a constant power source and use one of those mercury switches, which should be installed in the rear hatch. As you open the hatch, the mercury will flow to the other end and it will make contact.

The rear cargo light is connected to a very sensitive module which is known to blow out pretty easily, it's much safer/cheaper in the long run to just wire it to the cigarette power as shown.

A relay should be fine in this situation, they draw very little current to activate. If there is a fear of overdrawing and damaging the RBCM, I would recommend installing an LED light to replace the incandescent from factory or completely remove the bulb.

Also a mini relay would supply sufficient power to the additional lights and requires even less of a draw to activate. Such as the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Found a solution for constant power in the cargo area. A friend suggested Me to use this
received_10205858037034094.jpeg~320x480

No cut wires just plug and play and it works. Just make sure to unplug the dome light socket first before removing the bulb and plugging the mod bulb light. no need for mercury switch and rocker switch. You can also install a mini relay to protect the rbcm.
received_10205858045714311.jpeg~320x480

Last edited:
I used a modified dome light bulb with +/- wires to tap power to the led strips instead of tapping into the rear 12v wires.

Tibimakai, the led strips just follow the cargo dome light switch. If u open the tailgate the led turns on even ifyour car is turn off.

Maz-def, you find the mod bulb when you buy interior led like this
48-smd-5050-led-box-door-dome-light-panel.jpg
or modify old dome light bulb.

Back