CX-5 Cargo Light: The Thread.

mercaptan

:
CX-5 Touring
Can it be replaced? Can it not? What are your experiences?

There is a lot of information around (I've searched this forum religiously for the last 2 days), but there are not enough data to make a solid conclusion.
Yes, people have broken their RPCMs, yet others seem to have the LEDs working just fine.

If you have replaced your rear cargo light, could you please respond according to the following template:

• Year/Trim of CX-5
  • Did you disconnect the car battery?
  • Did you disconnect the wiring harness connecting the cargo light?
  • What LED/bulb did you use (eBay/Cork/SuperBrightLEDs/VLEDs)?
  • Did you have issues?
  • How long has it been working properly for you?
  • If removed/faulty, did you get the rear PCM replaced?

While the plural of anecdote does not equal conclusive data, hopefully this thread can shake out some of the mysticism surrounding this lighting fixture.

You should probably put your questions in the LED thread.

Absolutely can be replaced. It's in your User Manual (and instructions how to do it) for owner serviceable parts.
2014.5 GT AWD,
did not disconnect the battery,
yes -- disconnected the bulb holder from the wiring harness (as instructed in the User Manual),
VLEDs,
no issues,
about a month now.

I emphasize that this is a part that Mazda gives you full instructions to change (the bulb); check your User Manual. The whole swap doesn't take more than a minute or two.

I would at least pull the room fuse... I blew a fuse replacing my leds just frombthe housing touching something in the headliner when I pushed up on it. Others have had similar issues.

I emphasize that this is a part that Mazda gives you full instructions to change (the bulb); check your User Manual. The whole swap doesn't take more than a minute or two.

Well I wanted this to get as much visibility from other members who may not visit the other threads. I probably should have put it into electronics forum. Whoops.

I'm aware of the manual inclusion and suspect the module failures come from shorting the tabs during installation, not the actual replacement bulbs themselves.

Hi there,

I did replace the rear cargo bulb, here are my answers:

- 2014 / GT AWD
- No, I did not disconnect the car battery
- Yes, I did disconnect the wiring harness
- I used "Philips 30mm festoon Bright White Interior Vision LED" https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
- No, I did not have any issues
- It has been working properly since day one, and it's been almost a year
- Again, no issues... so no need to replace any module

Back