Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 225 55r19

Figured I would drop in and mention that Im now at 67.5k, so total of about 30k miles on these tires. They were decent in a pinch in the snow, for what thats worth. After rotating them recently and measuring tread depth, I will probably get another 4 rotations out of them before they are at the wear bars. Best guess is that rotation will be at 90k since Ive been rotating them every 7500 miles with oil changes. That would put them in the neighborhood of 60k miles, which is about what Id expect.

Otherwise, no complaints and Ill buy them again.

Figured I would drop in and mention that Im now at 67.5k, so total of about 30k miles on these tires. They were decent in a pinch in the snow, for what thats worth. After rotating them recently and measuring tread depth, I will probably get another 4 rotations out of them before they are at the wear bars. Best guess is that rotation will be at 90k since Ive been rotating them every 7500 miles with oil changes. That would put them in the neighborhood of 60k miles, which is about what Id expect.

Otherwise, no complaints and Ill buy them again.

I've had mine for over 20k miles, and I agree with your assessment. I had no problems in moderate snow/ice last winter, the ride is smooth and a bit quieter than the Toyos. They just seem like excellent tires.

I had a set of P7's installed a few days ago. The original Toyo's lasted about 40k miles for me.

Looking at these Pirelli's as well. Not many options for the 19" tires on the CX5 GT. Is the road noise that much better? (biggest complaint right now).

My Toyos have worn out quickly (mostly highway driving). Have 26000 miles and they are at a 3-4/10 mm tread wear. 1 tire was replaced at 18k because of extensive side wall damage (wife drove over a big hole). So that tire has a tread wear of like 7/10 mm.

I will throw my hat into the discussion. Original Toyo's are close to done at 28K miles (2014 GT, 19"). Quoted $1350 for new Toyo's, which if they only last 25-30K, I don't think I will be doing that!

I have put Michelin's on other cars and love them. But Pirelli's would work as well. Anybody gone up in size?

I ended up getting the Pirelli P7. I too wanted Michelin. I've been happy with the Pirelli so far on our vw gli and our cx-5 GT (14). Road noise has improved some. Handles better.

^^I don't but I will bet aggressively that both your mileage, acceleration and almost definitely ride quality will be negatively impacted by adding to the diameter and mass ~4lbs per corner. This is an extra load tire as well which is bad if you don't require it for towing/hauling/durability etc. IMO. I recently tried the Scorpion Verde Plus in this size (31lbs) and it literally killed my zoom- I went back to stock size thanks to a trial they had- don't love the P7s either but they are a better match for the CX-5s modest power. If I had to do it over I would've gone w/Conti in stock size (3 lbs lighter than stock) or used my 17s that I have for winter and swapped...

Last edited:
These Pirellis, gotta say I'm not overly impressed...I need to drive on them more but the Toyos, they're a surprising amount better and may actually be worth the high cost of admission, they ride better and handle a good deal better. There's an oddity to the ride quality it's pretty good most of the time but surprisingly jarring on other harder impacts. Noise is low probably their best quality and I figure they'll last a good deal longer but do I want them to? Time will tell but I think I may utilize my aftermarket 17s for more than just winter..and that's fine I like the look...and the price, and the abundance of choices...

40psi is the secret sauce on these ride somehow improved that odd recoil gone over larger impacts, handling near toyo now...#allgood

Well I'm convinced the Toyos.. boring as they look, expensive as they are, really seem to help the gt shine. P7s are OK but @36 the handling was lousy, at 40 the ride is (not shockingly) a bit stiff but also the steering feel and handling are still not quite there sorry to say so if someone asked would you buy again I'd say...hmm probably not.

I too will be looking to replace my oem 19" Toyo A23's this coming summer/fall. If it wasn't for their outrageously high cost I would consider going with them again. They may not wear as well as some would like or be as quiet as some would like BUT they make the CX-5 handle well. Now, I buy all my tires from COSTCO so I have been in to see them regarding options. Their 3 options are(in no particular order):
1) 235/55/19 Michelin Premier LTX (V rated)
2) 225/55/19 Bridgestone Dueler (V rated)
3) 225/55/19 Pirelli P7 Cinturato AS+ (H rated)

Here is my dilemma. Some on the CX-5 threads have said to stay away from 235 (or wider) tires on the CX-5 as they are heavier, cause lower gas mileage and are a bit noisier. Pity, as I really like Michelins. As some others have said in another post the Bridgestone Duelers just do not perform as well as they were told/read that they would. Now, I have read some good reports about the Pirelli's, BUT, since they are only H rated, and Mazda recommends V rated tires (as in the oem Toyo's), COSTCO will not warranty them. Go figure. The even odder thing here is that I went in to my local Mazda dealer and was told that the Pirelli was one on the tires they could get in for me, with no H rated warranty problems. Go figure!! The only issue is that they are asking more than COSTCO for the same tires.

Last edited:
How's Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max? That's available at Sams Club and matches OEM size and price seems reasonable. Approx. coming to $835 US with 4 tires and installation.

Now here's a potential real shocker.... I was in to a local tire dealer this morning enquiring about what brands and models they had in 225/55/19. Toyo is one brand they carry so I mentioned the concern that several CX-5 owners had regarding poor tread wear with the A23 and here is the summary of his response:

One thing that very few people know is that what many manufactures do is supply oem tires to the car manufactures that have less tread depth than the same tire that you would replace it with from a tire dealer. So I asked him if I bought a replacement A23 set of tires from him would the tread depth be greater than what I had on my car when it come off the assembly line and he said YES. WTF!!!

Does anyone know anything about this??

Now here's a potential real shocker.... I was in to a local tire dealer this morning enquiring about what brands and models they had in 225/55/19. Toyo is one brand they carry so I mentioned the concern that several CX-5 owners had regarding poor tread wear with the A23 and here is the summary of his response:

One thing that very few people know is that what many manufactures do is supply oem tires to the car manufactures that have less tread depth than the same tire that you would replace it with from a tire dealer. So I asked him if I bought a replacement A23 set of tires from him would the tread depth be greater than what I had on my car when it come off the assembly line and he said YES. WTF!!!

Does anyone know anything about this??

OK, this story gets better/more interesting. I went to another tire dealer with this story and he said that he wasn't aware of lower tread depth on new oem tires BUT he said that he was aware that there are many name brand oem tires that have lesser quality composition/construction when on new vehicles compared to the same tire he could sell me that is of better quality that wasn't designated for the CX-5 assembly line. He went on to say that many of these name brand manufacturers put a tiny "oe" on the tire which is hard to see. I must have a look on my oem tires that came on the car.

Anyone hear of this crafty little money grabbing trick?? Might this be the reason why our oem original tires wear out so fast and/or appear noisy or less comfortable? H-m-m-m-m!!

WELL, I've done a bit more sleuthing on this issue. I was in to Costco this morning to speak to the head of their tire dept (whom I know and trust) to get his take on oem specs compared to after market specs for the same tire. I questioned him about the tread depth difference which he said he had not heard of, BUT, agreed that tire manufactures commonly change the specs of their oem tires(composition, side wall thickness, etc) to get a price point that the car manufacturers can live with to get the particular kind of performance they want the vehicle to have off the assembly line.

BUT, can I trust the aftermarket version on an oem tire to give me the ride quality and wear that I want.

Even resolving the speed rating issue is ticking me off as well. Tire rack tells me that Mazda USA told them that anything above an S rating is ok, but Mazda Canada told me that I must stick with a minimum of a V rating as in the oem 19" Toyo's. Yes, I know I will NEVER be going 130mph(H rating) or certainly not 149 mph(V rating), but as one dealer asked me, who do you sue if the less expensive H rated tire you decided to buy blows up and the tire manufacturer chooses not to warranty/replace it because your model of CX-5 calls for a V rated tire. That's why Pirelli specifically says on the sticker on their tires...."Replacement tires must always have a load index and speed rating equal to or greater than those fitted as original equipment"

When I buy a tire I definitely want a warranty that I am certain will be honored!! WHAT TO DO? UGH!!!!!

Last edited:
I believe this opening statement from the following forum sums up and confirms my suspicions about oem v.s. aftermarket tires.

"Having worked for or with all three of the "big three" in my former career, I can tell you that the OEM tires are indeed different than what you buy aftermarket." This is from post #8 in the following link:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128033-OEM-TIRES-vs-STORE-BOUGHT-tires

He goes on to explain the kinds of differences and why they exist

Last edited:
Well I'm convinced the Toyos.. boring as they look, expensive as they are, really seem to help the gt shine. P7s are OK but @36 the handling was lousy, at 40 the ride is (not shockingly) a bit stiff but also the steering feel and handling are still not quite there sorry to say so if someone asked would you buy again I'd say...hmm probably not.

I agree on everything you say here. Unfortunately Mazda contracted Toyo to provide certain driving characteristics at a certain price point in the A23 oem's for the CX-5. This gives it terrific handling which the CX-5 is noted for, but when these tires wear( and boy do they wear fast) because of the particular composition in the oem's the CX-5 starts to lose many driving characteristics that we loved when the vehicle came off the lot.

You might find some additional great comparisons over on this thread:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...lin-Premier-LTX-225-55-19-in-stores-this-June!!!

Last edited:
Had Pirelli Cinturato P7 put on our 2014 CX-5 GT at around 29K miles. Very happy with them. Smoother & quieter than the stock Yokohamas which felt like wood. Feels just as responsive to me as the stiff Yokos in normal driving. Might notice a difference if I really pushed it hard on a twisty road but I rarely do that anymore. The Yokos were almost bald at 29K & we had the alignment checked & sometimes adjusted a few times before getting the Pirellis.

Back