Hood edge protector and paint film protection?

lwh1993

:
2005 Mazda Tribute AWD V6
Does anyone have the hood edge protector? I was thinking of getting one rather than spending the extra cash on film protection for the hood?

th_SFPLImage164049.jpg

I may get the film protection for the door edge as I always tend to get chips and dings there due to the tight room in my garage.

http://www.parkmazdaoemparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=1003320&siteid=215334&catalogid=9107

Has anyone installed it on their own?

i installed mine, took 5 minutes

Its been on now for 2 months with no issues coming off, cracks, etc.

I just put mine on last night. Took no time at all. You need to pull the weatherstripping clips from under the hood, position the protector, pull the tape backing, and then reinstall the clips. Make sure its in the right place because once the tape sticks, you're committed. It needs to get pushed towards the cabin pretty tightly in order for the clips to line up with their holes.

Good luck!

The Mazda Hood Protector I believe makes the front end look MUCH better.

unless living in a warm place (no winter) I would go with the clear bra, I have had the plastic deflector on a previous car, and when its cold it can break very easy, plus the snow gets under it and is a pain to clean the car under there without removing it.

I tried the 3M spray paint on my front bumper and the black shiny plastic part. Bumper looks good, but the black shiny plastic part not so good because of orange peel like surface. I'll re-do this when I find more time. I think 3M protector paint film is a good product, but it can't beat the real 3M clear film.

On the hood, I put a 4 inch wide 3M clear film all the way on the front edge. 6 inch width would have been better, but I just used what I had. It already protected my car from couple rock chips. One actually pierced through chipping out the clear and the color paint, but not all the way to steel. Without the clear film, it probably would have stripped the paint all the way.

Does the bug deflector actually work?

Consider 3M clear bra or XPEL instead. if you put a cover on your paint, dust and dirt particulates will work their way under it and the vibration from driving and wind will destroy your clearcoat. Just sayin'

I am totally convinced with the OEM Mazda hood deflector! Just placed an order for one from "swagparts" on eBay. $54 + USPS shipping to Canada ($38).

I had a hood deflctor on my daily driver Honda and it saved its paint (hood tip) and windshield multiple times from rocks and debris.

I'm debating picking one up as well. I just had my windshield replaced and I'm sure this couldn't hurt.
Does anyone have a picture of the hood deflector on a white cx-5?

The paint film seems really pricey and the dealer display had lots of scratches in it and didn't look very good.

Hello all, for those of you who have installed the hood edge protector, did any of you experience problems with water, dirt, etc. Getting stuck under protector after raining or washing vehicle? Does water pool under the protector? Thanks.

I have the hood protector. Over and above the installation stuff already given here wanted to cover another point. When installing pull out the red taps both lower and top side out of the top edge. That way, after you've installed it thru the clips and now doing the top, i.e. the 3M tape if you have the bottom red tape jutting out from the top it's very easy to pull it and have the lower portion completed AND THEN DO the upper portion.

I have it for a month, definitely looks better with it than without it. However, it is NOT like the usual hood protectors. Its NOT INCLINED to make the wind go up and away from the hood. It's flat and sticks to the hood. Its a true hood EDGE protector.

In terms of water, etc. what I always do, even for door sills, etc. is I put a CLEAR SILICON strip across the edge. That way, nothing ever goes in. For this a simple caulking type of gun - works.

Scratches - is a problem. Its very glossy and easily attracts scratches. I took a 3M clear vinyl, cut it and applied it on top of the hood. Cost: $5.

Hello all, for those of you who have installed the hood edge protector, did any of you experience problems with water, dirt, etc. Getting stuck under protector after raining or washing vehicle? Does water pool under the protector? Thanks.
No and no. I installed the protector myself and I used 3M primer.

I installed a hood protector and love it, but as I recall the directions say NOT to install it over (3M) film. I agree that this deflector is more decorative than able to adequately deflect air/rock chips away frm your windscreen as some other brands are able to do, BUT, at least it protects the leading edge of the hood.

Back