Incredibly Harsh and Bumpy Ride? Am I crazy?! ~ TEST DRIVE

YetiBall

:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
Hi all,

My wife and I are in need of a compact hatchback with an out the door price under 25k, and after test driving a Focus (with it's horrid transmission) and a Forte5 (with its dismal crash test ratings) we basically have few options other then the 3. Plus, I absolutely love the design both inside and out and have a soft spot for Mazda as I drove a old RX-7 when I was in college.

PROBLEM IS: We test drove the 3 several times & each time my wife complained about how harsh and stiff it rode. Maybe I was just having too much fun driving it to notice or just wrote it off as her love of complaining, but last night we test drove it again and, I have to admit, it was indeed very very harsh feeling. Even my current 00' Impreza 2.5rs (which is by no means a luxury cruiser) soaks up the road bumps better then the new 3.

We live in Buffalo and this winter has essentially destroyed all the roads, but the Mazda3 not only felt rough over broken or cracked road (which it did) but even on smooth pavement we could both feel a very slight rhythmic vibration, almost like driving over a light washboard surface, nearly constantly.

I understand that this car has a sportier tuned suspension then the Forte5, for example, but that car was worlds away in terms of ride feel, soft and dampened (if not a little floaty). As much as I fundamentally dislike the idea of driving a Kia, we were seriously considering it until we learned of its rolling death trap status in front crashes.

I feel like we are going crazy because as far as I can tell my wife and I are the only people who feel like the 3's ride is too harsh. Every professional review praises the ride comfort (the biggest criticism seems to be that it is just a bit less comfortable then a Corolla), for example Edmunds give it an "A" rating writing;

"One of the biggest improvements to the all-new Mazda 3 is the ride comfort. It isolates out most bumps without being soft and floaty. A great ride/handling compromise that should please most."

Are we crazy? As an owner, do you notice this? Like I said before, I've been driving around in a Subaru rally car as my daily driver for years, so it's not as though we are downgrading from a Buick or something. Does the car smooth out over time as the suspension breaks in?

Any feedback would be great.

Last edited:
Have you driven more than one? There's always the possibility that there was something wrong with that one. I moved from a 2012 Focus Titanium hatchback with the Titanium Handling Package, and the ride was firmer on that car than on my new 3, although I still wouldn't describe it as harsh. Our roads here in Michigan are a complete mess, too. Admittedly, I love a firm riding car, but I would never describe the new 3's ride as harsh.

I just bought a MZ3 iTouring MT HB last week, and I agree that the ride is a big harsh. Compared to the second generation 3, it's definitely improved from terrible to mediocre. Some people like the sensation of road-connectedness through their tailbones. I prefer to be connected to the road via the steering column, which this car is NOT (compared to my 2000 Corolla, Volkswagens, and other vehicles). These gripes aside, the 3 is still a compelling vehicle overall. I rented a Focus SE for four weeks last summer and agree about Ford's transmission, and several other annoyances. I love my MZ3 transmission and am just getting to know my car's quirks.

I expect to sort out my ride harshness with a cushion for my bottom and a lumbar support pillow. It will be sad to cover up my gorgeous MZ3 upholstery, but so it goes. I'm searching for the right cushions. Does anybody have suggestions?

Wow, I couldn't disagree with that more. This car actually has rather good steering feel for a modern car, especially for one with fully electric power steering. The reviewers have commented on this, as well. I suppose the harshness of the suspension depends on what you're used to driving. Compared to my RX-8 with Racing Beat front and rear anti-roll bars, the 3 is plush. I guess if you're used to more mundane transportation like Corollas, the 3 might be construed as harsh.

Most reviews have noted that the 3s suspension is much better sorted than the 3i suspension. Even though the 3i should really be softer riding, the chassis and suspension seem to be tuned for the 18 inch rims and higher engine weight of the 3s. Have you test driven both?

If you only drove the same car twice, it might be a fluke. I test drove a car once that did not have it's shipping spacers in the coil springs removed. That was terrible, and a test drive in another car of same equipment was what clued us both (salesperson and I) in on what was wrong.

Believe it or not, some idiotic dealers do not even adjust the tire pressure properly.
The cars came over from Japan (now Mexico factor has began production also) on ship with tires inflated to 60psi to avoid flat spotting.
When it arrives at dealerships, they are supposed to go through the check list (fluid, tire pressures, etc.)

Why do you bring a tire gauge and check the pressure and do another test drive again.
I would classify the suspension as "firm", not hard.
It is similar to my old bimmer, and I love it.
It is definitely not a "Lexus ride", if that is what you are looking for.

Thanks for all the advice! I too prefer a stiffer, more planted feel in a cars suspension. I've always owned sporty-ish cars. My wife puts up with the stiffer-than-some ride in our Subaru, but like I said, the 3 felt much worse.

It did feel like there was something actually wrong with the car so I think when we go back to test drive a CX-5 I will take closer look at a 3 (check the suspension coils and tire pressure) and give it another go. I really want to buy this car, so I'm willing to do whatever legwork necessary to find a way to love it again.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with that more. This car actually has rather good steering feel for a modern car, especially for one with fully electric power steering. The reviewers have commented on this, as well. I suppose the harshness of the suspension depends on what you're used to driving. Compared to my RX-8 with Racing Beat front and rear anti-roll bars, the 3 is plush. I guess if you're used to more mundane transportation like Corollas, the 3 might be construed as harsh.

Good steering is in the hands of the beholder. The best steering I ever had was my 1979 German diesel Volkswagen. That car had a huge manual steering wheel with no power assist. I could feel every pebble and nuance of the road. Of course my arms got strong from working the steering at slow speeds. Despite its power assist, the Corolla wasn't much worse than my old VW for steering feel. The 2014 MZ3's column-mounted EPS is not in the same league as those two cars (MZ3 is pretty numb), though the MZ3 is a better car in almost every other way. I wouldn't have bought the MZ3 last week if I didn't like it.

I test drove a MZ3 sGT and thought it was fine. I didn't notice the sGT's suspension being much different, but our local roads are not optimal for suspension testing. I may add JBR's rear stabilizer bar to my iTouring in the future. The sGT was somewhat louder than the iGT for road noise -- my wife and I both noticed it.

I don't mind firmness for short trips, but I imagine my lower back may begin to ache after 4-6 hours driving. I haven't taken the car on a longer trip yet.

I am still hoping to engage in constructive dialogue about after-market cushions people find acceptable in their 3. I don't see the need for expensive solutions if a simple seat cushion will work.

P.S., My 3's tire pressure came at 30 PSI in all four tires from the dealer. I am not sure why they went low on the PSI, or if the tires all leaked the same amount. It seems unlikley four tires would deflate to 30 PSI and not be noticed by the dealer. I use a racing tire pressure guage.

Update: we went back and drove another 3, a different one, and a CX5. This 3 felt like a totally different car compared to the one that prompted this thread. Tonight's car drove much like you would expect from a car in this class.

I guess there must have been something wrong with the one we drove yesterday. Liked the CX5 enough but besides the larger hatch can't think of a good reason to choose it over the 3.

Last edited:
Liked the CX5 enough but besides the larger hatch can't think of a good reason to choose it over the 3.

Better view over other cars, ground clearance (and maybe AWD), chance of better towing, more useable back seat...

Yeah, and don't forget that great fuel economy advantage the CX-5 has over the 3. And the wide selection of tires for those monster rims.

The CX-5 is more of a small family car. If you don't need the larger hatch and rear seat space, get the 3.

Yeah, and don't forget that great fuel economy advantage the CX-5 has over the 3. And the wide selection of tires for those monster rims.

The CX-5 is more of a small family car. If you don't need the larger hatch and rear seat space, get the 3.

Winter tires for my wife's CX-5 were so damn expensive. Only the dealer could get me a set when we got the car since they were such an oddball size. There is one reason to consider the CX-5 over the 3... AWD. If you need it, it just isn't an option for the 3.

I think the title "Incredibly Harsh" is a bit harsh. The ride is slightly firm to my taste but not 'incredibly harsh.' I think we're not that far apart on this subject, aside from a possibly defective suspension on one dealer's car.

The steering remains one minor peeve, but I can live with it. The steering feels to me like a Hyundai. I am sure others will argue this point, but the difference is hair-splitting versus the cars I referenced above. All three MZ3 test cars I drove were indentical: numb, numb, and numb. Ford Focus is marginally better, but also pretty numb. Nobody is going to make manual steering commuter cars for the U.S. market anymore, so I have to get over being spoiled by my memory of real road feel. It's like I'm wearing thick wool-and-leather gloves with this steering. Where's the 'zoom' in it?

There is one reason to consider the CX-5 over the 3... AWD. If you need it, it just isn't an option for the 3.
You pay for AWD at the gas pump. As to tires, the Yoko Avids (16" rims) on my wife's iTouring are noisy as hell at low speeds on much pavement. Told her she needs a decent summer tire. Overall, Touring has decent ride and handling, steering not to my taste. I much prefer the handling and steering of my '5.

Last edited:
The steering feels to me like a Hyundai. I am sure others will argue this point, but the difference is hair-splitting versus the cars I referenced above. All three MZ3 test cars I drove were indentical: numb, numb, and numb. Ford Focus is marginally better, but also pretty numb. Nobody is going to make manual steering commuter cars for the U.S. market anymore, so I have to get over being spoiled by my memory of real road feel. It's like I'm wearing thick wool-and-leather gloves with this steering. Where's the 'zoom' in it?

Yes, we will argue the point. I traded in a Hyundai Elantra Touring to get my Mazda3. If you think Mazda has numb steering then Hyundai's has been completely amputated to the point of being scary. Trust me, it's a very noticeable difference.

I will say the new 3's steering is numb compared to previous generations, but there's still a bit of connection to the road in the current system. I swear there's been times when my Elantra was so disconnected, my wheels would get moved to the side by a road imperfection, but the steering wheel literally would not move in reaction to it. That really freaked me out a bit every time that happened.

Unfortunately numb steering is the current norm these days. It's very very hard to dial road feel into a column-mounted electric power steering system. Mazda's electrically-powered hydraulic system was a great compromise, I wish they had stuck with it, but they didn't, probably requires more electricity than a straight EPS setup. But for now, take what you can get with EPS and be thankful for it. Compared to many others, Mazda's gotten quite a bit of road feel into the thing for an EPS system.

I don't think I am conflating. Road feel in my manual steering VW can never be reproduced with any power steering system, let alone the super-numb EPS cars. Hyundai EPS versus Mazda EPS is hair-splitting. People are getting used to numb steering with each consecutive car generation being more numb than the previous. The second generation MZ3 had more road feel than the third generation MZ3, though gen2 was a lesser car in almost every other way. I never drove a first generation MZ3, but I guess it probably had better steering than the second gen. It's about cost cutting and 'improved efficiency.'

Aside: Somehow the 55-62 MPG I routinely got from my diesel VW wasn't good enough, so they had to put in EPS to make it 40-42 MPG on current VW turbodiesels. Yeah, I know, it's all the sensors and emissions controls ruining milage, not the steering. Progress!

The downside to road feel is the transmitted vibrations in your hands if wheel alignment isn't good. The upside is that you know your alignment is bad before you ruin a set of tires.

Ford's rack-mounted EPS beats Mazda's column mounted EPS, in my opinion, but it does so at the expense of poor manufacturing reliability. Ford has TSBs on the rack mount problems and lots of warranty steering replacements. That issue more than any other prevented me from buying a Focus ST.

Last edited:
You pay for AWD at the gas pump. As to tires, the Yoko Avids (16" rims) on my wife's iTouring are noisy as hell at low speeds on much pavement. Told her she needs a decent summer tire. Overall, Touring has decent ride and handling, steering not to my taste. I much prefer the handling and steering of my '5.

True, but my wife gets better mileage in her 2.0l CX-5 than she did in her 2.5l 2010 3, even with AWD.

Back