Incorrect Passenger side engine mount

optimaldave

:
2003 Protege5, 5spd
So I swapped my passenger side engine mount today as mine was almost torn in two. However when re-installing the new mount I discovered it appears to be the wrong one... for one thing the new one did not have the bracket to bolt to the engine included and after I managed to extract the old one from the old bracket I found out the shaft was a smaller diameter than the sleeve on the new bracket. Having no choice but to be able to drive my car today I put some electrical tape on the shaft and mounted it up.

Then is when I discovered that the new mount is the wrong dimensions compared to the old one and may have shifted the motor rearward as the mount is completely cockeyed.

I was wondering if some of you can look at these and tell me if it is worth swapping for a Mazda part to make it right again, if i should loosen the motor side and pry the motor forward a bit, and then re-tighten the mounting nuts, or just leave all as it is.

I have done some searching on the site but couldn't find anyone who had gone ahead with the install and seemed to care about any issues that may arise from it.

Cheers
Dave

2014-03-17194350_zps0ef1c237.jpg

2014-03-17194331_zpsa246c4a2.jpg

The only thing I have to offer is another picture showing the difference between the Automatic and 5-speed passenger side engine mount. This guy only noticed a difference n length though.

WP_000118_zpsea8dd6ac.jpg

Manual has the shorter flange. I went through this a few months back. I came to the conclusion that there are no aftermarket rubber mounts with the correct size flange for the manual Protege.

Yours came without the flange, and it kind of looks like even that isn't correct. Are your front or rear mounts torn? Your engine almost looks pushed reward.

Update* Looks like there may be a difference between the center line on auto and manual mounts as well. See the last post in this thread. I really need to make a writeup for these motor mounts. So much confusion and searching everyone has to go through!

Last edited:
OK, I'll throw this out there.........Why would there be a difference in motor mounts on this end of the motor? The motor should be in the same location regardless of the transmission because it will affect the way a lot of other things fit if it isn't. Not trying to say there is no difference but this just doesn't make sense to me even looking at the pic above. Mine is auto and the top mount in the comparison pic is what mine looks like as far as how close the motor is to the mount. The OP pic just doesn't look right how cockeyed stuff is. Makes you think somethin else is in play making it like that. Was the original mount like that before changing?

Last edited:
Manual has the shorter flange. I went through this a few months back. I came to the conclusion that there are no aftermarket rubber mounts with the correct size flange for the manual Protege.

Yours came without the flange, and it kind of looks like even that isn't correct. Are your front or rear mounts torn? Your engine almost looks pushed reward.

Update* Looks like there may be a difference between the center line on auto and manual mounts as well. See the last post in this thread. I really need to make a writeup for these motor mounts. So much confusion and searching everyone has to go through!

I purchased the Beck Arnley (BA) 104-1849 passenger engine mount from Amazon and it fit OK. I didn't put my stock one back in to see if it fit better, but the BA fit fine after I jacked up the engine. It came with the flange and bolt holes lined up OK. According to Amazon and Advance Auto, the part does NOT fit the Protege5. So far so good though after 3 mos. I'm not saying go out an buy this one, but in my case, I wanted to save a little bit a money and thought I'd try it out. If it didn't work out, I would've just returned it. From my experience, the front engine mount is the one that I tried two different aftermarket ones and both of them emitted more vibrations at idle than the OEM mount. So I eventually went with a new OEM one for that location and kept the BA one for the passenger side since the vibrations were the same at idle. Take it for what it's worth :)

Last edited:
Not trying to say there is no difference but this just doesn't make sense to me even looking at the pic above. Mine is auto and the top mount in the comparison pic is what mine looks like as far as how close the motor is to the mount.

Exactly !!! What he said,...

It makes no sense at all,... I have not dealt with my mounts yet but I am convinced that there is a difference and will make damn sure the supplier knows about it and asks me whether or not I have a 5-speed or auto.

The two are so close that some guys didn't even notice they were different until they went to install them. I remember one guy managed to twist his engine around to get everything lined up but the engine stayed cockeyed.

You would think, the different mount would be the one on the tranny ???

It's a bit like how the 5-speed has a different cv-shaft but only for one side ??? You would think the 5-speed would need tougher cv-shaft on both sides ??

So I went out to take a picture of my mount (it's the original OEM on my 5-speed),...

20140320_111426_zps8c4ffecc.jpg

It looks to me as though the angle of the big pin on the flange is quite a bit different as well as length and diameter,...

EDIT,.. I just noticed the white paint dot on my mount,... that may indicate that it was replaced at some point before I got the car,...

White/blue dot is a factory paint mark on all of them, OEM replacement parts have it too. Your other mounts are likely shot causing the Pass mount to be twisted like that.

Maybe someone can post the same picture of their pass. side mount from their automatic,... maybe we can see the difference,..

... Your other mounts are likely shot causing the Pass mount to be twisted like that.

This is true,.. plus I jammed that piece of rubber into my front mount making it even worse,... but Hank3's pic looks like it's "proper" and his pin is at a pretty steep angle. I'm thinking the hole through the rubber may even be at an angle, making the two mounts different ??? (and making flange swapping difficult ??)

Last edited:
Both my 2003.5 Protege5s (120k, 88k miles) had a slightly slanted passenger mount. I didn't notice it until after the first got totaled, but since the second had the same slant (and less miles!) I assumed that was just the way it was suppose to be.

iKsvnYe.jpg

Both my 2003.5 Protege5s (120k, 88k miles) had a slightly slanted passenger mount. I didn't notice it until after the first got totaled, but since the second had the same slant (and less miles!) I assumed that was just the way it was suppose to be.

iKsvnYe.jpg
The thing about this one to me is that the part going thru the mount is straight and not at angle. The little bit of angle where it bolts to motor is not a concern. But if you look at those other pics, the part going thru the mount is at an angle AND the flange on the motor is too. That doesn't seem right to me. Seems like the mount will not last long like that.

So I went a little paint happy and came up with this,...

mountcompare_zpsb8447b12.jpg

I am now willing to hazard an edumacated guess that Myrithel's car is indeed an automatic,..

I know my car is sportronic but I will have to doublecheck that mount.......IIRC it has a pink dot on it. Again, I will have to verify.....oh, wait, lemme check my pics online here..............

OK, I was wrong, dot on my 03.5 sportauto passenger side oem mount = green

100_1217.jpg

Last edited:
Back