BobbleCat's Protege5

BobbleCat

:
2002 Pro5 Midnight Blue
Howdy! I picked up a fully loaded 2002 P5 a couple weeks ago for $500, and saved it from being scrapped. It has 374,247 KMs(232552 miles) on the clock, and a decent amount of rust - as shown in the pictures. It is missing the muffler, stereo, has an odd hole in the back near the spare tire, the horn sounds like a suffocating donkey, the back bumper is being held on by a screw, and it's stuck in fourth gear. I examined the gear problem to a basic extent and my best guess is the 3-4 shift fork has broken. I think the car has much potential, everything works - heated seats, sunroof, etc, just needs a bit of love. Anyways, once the warm weather comes I will be doing a full detail, and starting the rust repair. I am on a limited budget, so it will be a slow build :(.
8VZ2Ft6.jpg

g368YvU.jpg

oHhQqMF.jpg

kNB0p4B.jpg

PlVD4gz.jpg

t1oO8o7.jpg

iXbWUIB.jpg

CF1Hnog.jpg

qFWhPI5.jpg

pFGuziz.jpg

mIysSmk.jpg

AcCeXZW.jpg

wow good luck wit the rust, its understandable why it was on the way to be scrapped. Looks like you have some unibody rust to deal with before the body panels and you'll likely need a new hatch door.

Yikes. I hope you have some good metal working skills and equipment. Looks like the rear lateral link is bent too. Are the heated seats factory or is it an aftermarket heating system? I looked at a P5 with the same leather (with the Mazda logo on the front seats) hadn't seen that before. Obviously its been on more than 1 car.

Good luck with the project. I'm not near as brave as you, so I spent $2300 and got a p5 with practically no rust anywhere. Bodywork sucks.

Yikes. I hope you have some good metal working skills and equipment. Looks like the rear lateral link is bent too. Are the heated seats factory or is it an aftermarket heating system? I looked at a P5 with the same leather (with the Mazda logo on the front seats) hadn't seen that before. Obviously its been on more than 1 car.

Good luck with the project. I'm not near as brave as you, so I spent $2300 and got a p5 with practically no rust anywhere. Bodywork sucks.

I have a couple mates that are lending me some of their mechanical knowledge, I'm in no hurry as I have no plans to put this on the road anytime soon, going to use it as a learning experience for now. As far as I know, the heated seats are factory.

I have a couple mates that are lending me some of their mechanical knowledge, I'm in no hurry as I have no plans to put this on the road anytime soon, going to use it as a learning experience for now. As far as I know, the heated seats are factory.

Good car to learn on then. They're awesome cars, and I'm sure with a rebuilt engine, rust taken care of, and a little TLC on the interior, it's going to be an awesome car. Especially for $500!

Where abouts in Huron are you from? I'm in Bruce myself. The rust you guys see is a brutal example of the damage winter seasons do on cars around here :( I've lost an oil pan and gas tank from it already. Good luck with the build man, certainly didn't make it easy on yourself. I love my P5 though so go for it!

Where abouts in Huron are you from? I'm in Bruce myself. The rust you guys see is a brutal example of the damage winter seasons do on cars around here :( I've lost an oil pan and gas tank from it already. Good luck with the build man, certainly didn't make it easy on yourself. I love my P5 though so go for it!

I'm from Seaforth, just moved up from Exeter. Yeah, everyone here goes through underbody parts like crazy.

Latest posts

Back