Has anyone diagnosed a rattle near the glovebox?

katmar

:
16 CX-5 GT and 13 CX-5 Touring AWD
2013 Touring AWD.

I have a nasty rattle from somewhere near the glovebox. It sounds like it's inside the dash, behind the glovebox somewhere - but you know how misleading rattles can be. Might even be a trim piece rubbing between the glovebox and console, or above the glovebox. Happens whether glovebox is open or closed, empty or full of stuff.

In any case, just curious if anyone else found a problem in that area, and might share a clue :)

The dealer thought they fixed it, but the problem remains.

The attached TSB for "Rattle Noise from Passenger side Instrument Panel" seems suspiciously similar, but it's for the Mazda6, so I'm not sure it applies?

Attachments

• Rattle Noise from Passenger side Instrument Panel (Mazda6).pdf
    325.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
2013 Touring AWD.

I have a nasty rattle from somewhere near the glovebox. It sounds like it's inside the dash, behind the glovebox somewhere - but you know how misleading rattles can be. Might even be a trim piece rubbing between the glovebox and console, or above the glovebox. Happens whether glovebox is open or closed, empty or full of stuff.

In any case, just curious if anyone else found a problem in that area, and might share a clue :)

The dealer thought they fixed it, but the problem remains.

The attached TSB for "Rattle Noise from Passenger side Instrument Panel" seems suspiciously similar, but it's for the Mazda6, so I'm not sure it applies?

I have the same exact rattle.

Service said they need a few hours to take apart the dash and find it.

I lol'd, took my keys and left.

I will call ahead of time and schedule a loaner for that to happen.

Also needs an alignment, so ill do both.

I will call ahead of time and schedule a loaner for that to happen.

I'd love to hear what they find!

Is your noise temperature-sensitive? It was in the 50s (F) here Saturday, and I barely heard a thing. Today is in the 20s, and it rattled madly for my whole commute, even after the cabin was all toasty warm. It's been consistent like that - once it gets into the 40s or so, it tends to remain quiet.

When I had tapping noise near the 'A Pillar' (tapping, rattle sound), I checked the TSB, R017/12C, about using a screwdriver to lever the two panels apart behind the door hinge inside the fender area. But instead of the Mazda method, I squirted some pressure-pack lubricant in the area (CRC lithium based) by levering the foam seal back with a flat piece of wood and squirting in the location mentioned in the service bulletin. Didn't fix it immediately, but was gone by the next day. Mine was also temperature sensitive.

View attachment Rattle noise from instrumental panel when driving on rough roads.pdf

Last edited:
Back