:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 2.0 L Skyactiv W i P

BEUrHQz.jpg

Motor/Drivetrain
- Corksport Short Ram Intake
- Dynotronics ECU Tuning Software - Stopped, 7 months and no progress. Not recommended as of Sep 2014.
- Corksport Axle Back Exhaust
- Optima Yellowtop
- MIT Hood Struts
- Corksport LED Engine Lamp (Removed, extra wiring in the engine bay and on the battery looked ghetto)
- Fumoto F106 Oil Drain Valve

Suspension/Wheels
(Werner) Heine & (Heinz) Remmen Sport Springs
Corksport Rear Sway Bar
Ultra Racing Strut Tower Brace
Ultra Racing 4 Point Front Lower Arm Bar
Ultra Racing 2 Point Rear Lower Arm Bar
TSW Mallory 20" x 8.5" w/Toyo Proxes ST II, 20/255/45 (Equipped)

Exterior/Lighting
- OEM Hood Visor
- OEM Roof Rails, Painted Black (Silver Default)
- Stainless Steel Fog Covers
- 6000k HIDS
- 5000k DRL and Fog Lights
- Hella Twin Super Tones
- Curt Hitch #C13127

Interior
- Chinese OBDII HUD
- Audio
- CX-5 Illuminated LED Door Sills (Blue)
-Blue LED Dome/Footwell Lighting

Last edited:

PEOjtWQ.jpg

4AoEJ8b.jpg

Installing Rear Lower Bar

Front and Rear Bar
Rear Sway Bar

Last edited:
The car looks really nice. How do all those engine and suspension mods affect the ride?

Nice car Chris.
Corksport is the correct name.(eek2)
Which springs do you have?
H&R Sport Spring

The car looks really nice. How do all those engine and suspension mods affect the ride?
Less body roll, more fun engine sound, faster revving (powercurve moved slightly up, as with most cai/sri).
I am waiting for my Mazda Edit stuff to come in the mail and I want a 93 tune, and rev limiter bump.

Curious since I feel like I'm following in your footsteps (despite different engines), how would you rank your performance mods? As in, what had the most impact from most to least or if you were to do it again, what would you do first?

I can't modify the exhaust (RE: California) but I'm looking at changing the wheels to lighter, wider ones, lowering (probably not more that 1.5"), and improving structural rigidity (tower struts probably first.)

Curious since I feel like I'm following in your footsteps (despite different engines), how would you rank your performance mods? As in, what had the most impact from most to least or if you were to do it again, what would you do first?

I can't modify the exhaust (RE: California) but I'm looking at changing the wheels to lighter, wider ones, lowering (probably not more that 1.5"), and improving structural rigidity (tower struts probably first.)
Early adopter gets the boo boo motor but it's still a fun car. The springs were the first suspension change I made it was an immediate difference in handling (was still on the stock wheels at the time) and probably the most worthwhile single mod I have. I have the H&R (also the only option at the time) which drop about 1.5", enough to get rid of the excessive imo wheel gap, and still leave good clearance for say 20" wheels. I like Cocksport but I am very skeptical how a 20" wheel would work out with those, without a LP tire. Struts are holding up well after 35k mi and hard driving. Aesthetically, I'm glad the wheel gap was reduced; it looked corny to me and I did not get the car because I wanted ground clearance, it was more for the utility of the space. Of course, adding wider wheels made a difference as well, but I would say it was less than just the changing he springs alone. When I originally purchased the stb I was not expecting any noticeable change, I was mainly purchasing it to reduce stress on the front of the frame as I plan to keep the car (and drive hard) for a long time and preserve the stiffness as much as possible. I was surprised that I noticed a change in how my car reacts in a heave-leaning turn (high peed curve, or a tight turn at say an intersection). In a very simple example, it made the difference of a slight powerslide if turning left at 2 lane intersection where there is a 3rd inside lane for making aleft turn only, without cutting into that left turn lane (eg following the line). I can actually mash the gas (in manual mode of course or it will understeer the turn) and shift 1-2 or 2-3 depending on speed at mid/high rpm and come though nicely. If that makes any sense. It also reduced a flat lateral movement I was getting when entering a sharp highway curve at about 70-75+. Because of that I went ahead and got the lower bar to add some more distribution and the rear as well. Once I get the Corksport RSB I probably won't mess with the suspension anymore unless specific parts need/should be upgrades (end links etc).

Keep me posted on what you are doing, I try to share my experience for others to learn from, also there are some helpful dudes on here that give good tips too. If you are getting different wheels try to at most meet the stock weight of the 19" wheel/tire (~60lb), lighter is better, and it's not always the wheel the tires can vary 2-4 pounds too. For me and the 2.0 motor it made about a 1-2 mpg difference at cruising (pretty rare I don't really drive long enough or bored enough to use cruise control) between two aftermarket wheels with a 3lb difference and same tire; maybe not so much with the 2.5. Cheers

Last edited:

most exh. is CAT back so no worries in CA, CX5 is too quiet but that is what the masses wants.

agree if you have the $, do lighter wheels/better tire combo, if still not to your g force needs, then RSB, if need more then Springs.

Chris, the TSW Sochi Black and Pirelli P Zero 20 x 8.5 ET 40 and 245/45/20 are a weight of 22 + 28 (for the tyre) = 50 Lbs !! So this is far beneath th OEM wheels (19 inch x 7) They are more near the weight of the 17 inches OEM !!!!

Last edited:
Chris, the size of the wheel doesn't matter since the outside diameter won't change by going bigger wheel. You can put 22" wheels there, if you maintain the outer diameter.
I hear many people that, I put bigger wheels to fill up the gap. That is stupid, that way the speedo will be way off.
Bigger wheels you get, thinner your tires will be.

Chris, the TSW Sochi Black and Pirelli P Zero 20 x 8.5 ET 40 and 245/45/20 are a weight of 22 + 28 (for the tyre) = 50 Lbs !! So this is far beneath th OEM wheels (19 inch x 7) They are more near the weight of the 17 inches OEM !!!!

Thats a good wlcombo; however part of it was what design did I want . My other option was nurburg ring 23lb, but I liked Mallory more

wayyyy too much invested in a 2.0

Not seeing that a 2.0, 2.5 or any other of the diesel 4 bangers available in other markets makes any significant difference regarding "being too much of an investment".

wayyyy too much invested in a 2.0
If that is the way you feel, why did you even buy a car? A car is an investment and there are fees you won't get around (unless you ride dirty) eg insurance, registration, fuel, maintenance.. how can you even make a comment like that it makes very little sense

Any time you start modding a vehicle, any vehicle, it is basically tossing money in the trash because cars are almost always a depreciating asset. And the chances of someone else thinking that your particular idea of improvements is the same as what they would have done are slim to none.

That being said, I have personally made major mods to many of my vehicles, and the point is not to be financially wise, the point is to have a ride that you are proud of and love getting into every day.

Here's a few example of money I have tossed away (and never regretted): (cabpatch)

From this:
img0081fi.jpg

to this:
img0414w.jpg

img0316wi.jpg

From this:
IMG_0602_zps80e6d4be.jpg

to this (on left)
IMG_0775_zps333f0810.jpg

IMG_0754_zps9197fe99.jpg

Custom badges
IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Last edited:
Any time you start modding a vehicle, any vehicle, it is basically tossing money in the trash because cars are almost always a depreciating asset. And the chances of someone else thinking that your particular idea of improvements is the same as what they would have done are slim to none.

That being said, I have personally made major mods to many of my vehicles, and the point is not to be financially wise, the point is to have a ride that you are proud of and love getting into every day.

Here's a few example of money I have tossed away (and never regretted): (cabpatch)

]

Yea "invenstment" was not the correct word

edited, it's for the 2012 mz 3 skyactiv, and from hat I've been able to gather from a mazda 3 forum that's even skeptical... along with MSDS not being able to give me good information

Last edited:
Back