CV Axle Replacement

TalleyHo

:
2008 Cx-9 GT
I just noticed a ton of grease coating the inside of the front left tire/caliper this weekend. I had the front left hub replaced back in January. Coincidence? My paranoid self says no, but I'm trying to determine the amount of effort for a light-shade tree mechanic to replace the cv/front axle before taking it to the shop and putting down another chunk of change. (By light shade tree mechanic, I mean I don't have a problem doing suspension and 'dry' type repairs, but I'm not a fan when it comes to dealing with seals, gaskets, liquids and such).

The car is a 08 CX-9 GT FWD w/ 111k miles. From the various videos I've seen, it doesn't appear to difficult for the professionals. :) The biggest headache appears to be getting all hub out of the way to pull the axle out. My biggest concern is will I have to replace the tranny fluid once I pull the axle. I /hate/ dealing w/ fluids - especially since this one has the overflow-fill style on the bottom of the pan. It just seems messy w/o the right equipment.

Anyway, are there any special tools needed? Will the inner axle just slip right out of the tranny with a little encouragement? Will I need to align the front-end after?

I'd go ahead and just replace the car, but my SO is putting on a LOT of miles for work, and I don't want to eat the depreciation of a new ride - esp if this one just needs a little TLC to continue on down the road.

TIA.

Latest posts

Back