Dogs + CX-5: The TravAll Pet barrier

ErgoZoom

:
Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with Tech 2014.5
It's no secret to my local friends that I purchased the CX-5 for my two dogs. I wasn't looking for a SUV/CUV (I actually wanted a wagon -- but of course all the cool ones don't make it to the US) but it was the only type of vehicle that would fit my dogs. Every dealer was asked the same questions about fitting two 70 lbs dogs. Modern SUVs with the sloping of the back hatch really are an issue when trying to get larger dogs in. Dealers like Subaru and BMW had dog "kits" and some even offered to have my dogs come and check out the space. However I went with the CX-5 in the end based on a handling/price/fuel economy ratios. Ever since purchasing, I've been kitting out the car to hold them in the back area and thanks to fellow forum members, I purchased a few protective things: the Mazda OEM soft cargo liner and cargo tray (tray on top of liner.) Next up was finding a barrier and I've been through 2 until I arrived at this one from TravAll (a UK company) that seems to make the Mazda OEM one overseas. However the OEM one seems to have a screw point into the headliner (and the one I received appears to have the place to do something like that, but it isn't necessary.)

Travall CX-5 Barrier

It uses pressure to hold it in place and doesn't touch/mar the headliner. It doesn't rattle (there's plenty of road construction in my LA neighborhood to test that.) Other benefits are that since it doesn't strap to the headrests and the wiring is thinner, the rear view is not obstructed (no more than the usual view.) It also orients vertically (not at a slant) so the most room is available for the cargo space. It can stay in place with the cargo cover and even flipping down the seats (though it won't be much of a barrier then.) Rear passengers aren't interfered with either.

The only "issue" is that with the seats down, unlike some universal barriers, it can't be moved forward to behind the front seats to work as a barrier. I'll have to have another barrier for that when road-tripping (which at this point, I'm having a welder make.) My two dogs can sit/laydown comfortably, stand up, and move about from side to side with no issue in the cargo space. The cargo tray really helps them not to slide about. I think for long trips, I'd have the seats down (planning a trip across 1/2 the US this summer) but for short trips it's comfortable.

I'd also say for anyone attaching this, not to overtighten the connection to the cargo hooks. It'll push down on the plastic trim and create a gap near the C pillar windows and it isn't necessary to tighten down that far. Just tighten until that section has firm contact.

Hopefully this will help out anyone else looking at the CX-5 with dogs. I did the order through Amazon which reduced the shipping cost some though it is an expensive barrier compared to most. I was worried about taking the risk on this if only because I realized returning it would be such a hassle.

So, they are both 70 lbs, the soft cargo liner is down since they just jumped in but will be flipped into the car when the hatch comes down, the cargo cover is still in place behind them (detached from the hatch), and they are sitting on the cargo tray. It works pretty well and keeps fur off of everything.
uc

Nice job. It's good to see someone take the time to do something properly. I especially like the soft cover on the rear bumper. Hope it works; those guys look like they have some heavy duty claws!

Cheaper Barriers

Were the previous two barriers you tried the universal type? $180 to drop on a barrier seems hefty, but keeping my leather claw free sounds nice too.

I have small dogs (<30lbs) and am thinking a universal model might do the trick ($30 w/ prime shipping)

We have two 80lb Bernese Mountain Dogs, and one 65+lb Great Pyrenees/Chow Chow mix. I consider the hatch area too tight for two dogs at once. If I have one dog with me, I usually just let them ride on the back seat (with a seat cover).

But if two or three are along for the ride, the seats go down to make them all comfortable. (And I then have to lift the BMDs in to prevent them from scratching up the plastic on the bumper as the liner doesn't roll down far enough to prevent damage from older dogs who can't quite jump as well as they used to).

As an aside, I've always joked Mazda engineers must hate dogs, as most of their vehicles aren't "big" dog friendly (between the sloping rear hatch(s) and the higher bumpers. The new CX3 is worse than the CX5, as the hatch is almost built like a sedan trunk with the high lip over the bumper.)

Holy #$%^

We have two 80lb Bernese Mountain Dogs, and one 65+lb Great Pyrenees/Chow Chow mix. I consider the hatch area too tight for two dogs at once. If I have one dog with me, I usually just let them ride on the back seat (with a seat cover).

But if two or three are along for the ride, the seats go down to make them all comfortable. (And I then have to lift the BMDs in to prevent them from scratching up the plastic on the bumper as the liner doesn't roll down far enough to prevent damage from older dogs who can't quite jump as well as they used to).

As an aside, I've always joked Mazda engineers must hate dogs, as most of their vehicles aren't "big" dog friendly (between the sloping rear hatch(s) and the higher bumpers. The new CX3 is worse than the CX5, as the hatch is almost built like a sedan trunk with the high lip over the bumper.)

The BMDs are Big BUT, if the other has taken on the Genes of the GP...then that one is HUGE!!

"Along for the ride eh"...Mine simply want to drive!!!!

I have 2 Australian Shepards (1 mini and 1 standard), plus an older Border Collie and I had to take a Crate with me when I bought the CX-5, to make sure it did indeed fit, otherwise, it would nave been a nogo on the CX-5!
Everyone fit, but was indeed CLOSE!

BTW: Glad I do not have your Dog Food bill.Mine is big but your's must be huge!! heh...

Travall CX-5 Barrier

It uses pressure to hold it in place and doesn't touch/mar the headliner. It doesn't rattle (there's plenty of road construction in my LA neighborhood to test that.) Other benefits are that since it doesn't strap to the headrests and the wiring is thinner, the rear view is not obstructed (no more than the usual view.) It also orients vertically (not at a slant) so the most room is available for the cargo space. It can stay in place with the cargo cover and even flipping down the seats (though it won't be much of a barrier then.) Rear passengers aren't interfered with either.

The only "issue" is that with the seats down, unlike some universal barriers, it can't be moved forward to behind the front seats to work as a barrier. I'll have to have another barrier for that when road-tripping (which at this point, I'm having a welder make.) My two dogs can sit/laydown comfortably, stand up, and move about from side to side with no issue in the cargo space. The cargo tray really helps them not to slide about. I think for long trips, I'd have the seats down (planning a trip across 1/2 the US this summer) but for short trips it's comfortable.

I'd also say for anyone attaching this, not to overtighten the connection to the cargo hooks. It'll push down on the plastic trim and create a gap near the C pillar windows and it isn't necessary to tighten down that far. Just tighten until that section has firm contact.

Hopefully this will help out anyone else looking at the CX-5 with dogs. I did the order through Amazon which reduced the shipping cost some though it is an expensive barrier compared to most. I was worried about taking the risk on this if only because I realized returning it would be such a hassle.

Update: If you order from TravAll site, and select the option that you heard about their product on a forum, shipping is discounted $15. In my case, $31 shipping to the greater Seattle area. I'll post again when I get mine installed :)

Back