Advanced keyless entry add on to sport-cx5

If you look at the next page on the diagram you will see that the non-advanced entry system does not have an LF module. Also, notice that the start/stop takes a different path. I'm guessing that it is programmed based on the installed option which source to listen to for start/stop. Since the module part numbers are the same for the 2 systems I'd guess that it is programmed using the M-MDS tool.

I resolved the issue to at least my satisfaction. I purchased a viper 2102t module for about $70. It automatically unlocks the doors when I'm within about 3 feet, and locks the door when I walk away. Uses a small fob, but I'll live with that. Functionality of the original mazda fob stays the same. Took a couple hours to install. Everything gets hooked up at the rbcm. So far it works as advertised, we'll see what the long term performance is. I bought mine on ebay, but I've seen it online many places.

Interesting... The PKE kit sure looks like a good addition to the original keyless entry. Just looked it up and in the US, it is sold under "Directed Electronics". I would want it but just have an extra keyfob might be a bit annoying :/.. I'll think about it as it seems like a good option.

I resolved the issue to at least my satisfaction. I purchased a viper 2102t module for about $70. It automatically unlocks the doors when I'm within about 3 feet, and locks the door when I walk away. Uses a small fob, but I'll live with that. Functionality of the original mazda fob stays the same. Took a couple hours to install. Everything gets hooked up at the rbcm. So far it works as advertised, we'll see what the long term performance is. I bought mine on ebay, but I've seen it online many places.

Did you do the installation yourself? If you did please post some instructions how to. I guess when it lock / unlock the doors it will arm / disarm the factory alarm as well assuming you have one?

I did it myself, I'll get some instructions together. I'll mention that I have a US car which does not have the theft alarm. I believe Canada has it as standard equipment, there is also a note regarding activation/deactivation of the alarm changing after a certain serial number of the RBCM. The reason I mention that is I lock/unlock the doors using the keyswitch signals on the drivers door. Basically you can test if the module will work by using the key to lock/unlock your doors. If your alarm works correctly you should be OK. You could also wire to the driver's door lock/unlock, I just picked the keyswitch.

If DEI built those features into a remote start unit I'd be 100% content. I don't want to be carrying around 3 FOBs though.

It's a shame mazda didn't include this on all trim levels to be honest. The 2010 3 pretty much had this as standard equipment.

The module does interface with several remote start units. I didn't look into what it takes to add them, or if you need additional fobs.

Installation

View attachment 206856
View attachment 206857
View attachment 206858
I made a quick outline of my installation. I recommend you verify all the connection points before you begin because I could have made a mistake in my markups. I don't want to be responsible. Installation took a couple hours but I took my time and checked back to the schematics quite often. The longest part of the installation was removing the side because I didn't want to damage any of the clips.

References:

RBCM block diagram:
http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emaz...4/CX5/nv/books/nvw09/html/id0902p4012300.html

Notes:
1. I used the loudest piezo electric buzzer I could find at radio shack instead of connecting to the lights. I felt as I walk away I wanted to hear the doors lock instead of having to turn around and watch to make sure the lights blink. The buzzer isn't as loud as I hoped. I'll probably add a relay and connect to the lights as well as keep the buzzer. I could have probably connected to the car horn but I didn't want to run wires to the front, and think that a car horn beeping for locking and unlocking is too loud and annoying.

2. I mounted one antenna near the outside air vent because there is no metal blocking the signal path, I figured it would give me decent response from the back hatch as well as approaching the car from the driver side. Its tie wrapped to a piece of plastic that I screwed onto the chassis. I could have found something more professional to mount it to, but I used what was handy.

3. I mounted the other antenna in the middle of the B pillar. I figure this one will pick up the keys when they are in the car as well as when I leave. I left the passenger side alone because rarely if ever will someone with a key be on that side of the car. You could buy the optional 3rd antenna if it is a concern.

4. I screwed the module on to the chassis but probably should have moved it more toward the back so I could see the LED when the access panel to the light bulbs is opened.

My 2102T settings:
1. RF - NA
2. Door Unlock Timing = 3.5 seconds so it unlocks all doors,
a shorter setting will only unlock the drivers door
3. Door Lock timing = 3.5 seconds, I don't think it is critical.
4. Number of Antenna = 2
5. Smart Lock = 5 minutes, personal preference
6. Door Open Interlock = Off, Personal preference.

Performance:
Works well so far. The doors unlock before I reach for the door handles and
they lock when I'm about 10 feet away from the car. I'm using the smart lock
option as well as the door open interlock and they both seem to work as
advertised as well

Could you post a picture of the 2012T fob compare to the Mazda fob? Just want to see if it's about the same size as the Mazda one because I would need to carry 2 fobs. Also I suppose I can order another 2012T fob because the kit only come with one? The thing I still don't know is if it would work with the factory alarm.

Picture of the 2 fobs. The Mazda fob weighs 1.75 oz, the 2102t fob weighs .75oz. I purchased a second fob just in case, don't know if it is worth it or not, I'm the only one that drives the car. The replacement fob is $34, I've seen the whole kit for $60 on ebay occasionally. If you can lock/unlock your car doors with the key and the alarm doesn't go off or give you other problems you should be OK with this kit.

View attachment 206864

That's a pretty cool product, I just wish it was offered by a more reputable manufacture like Directed.

I started to research and realized that compustar offers an addon for their units called EZGO. It's going to me the more expensive option compared to the directed unit, but it's a very small FOB and has the option for a second channel output so it will remote start as well. The EZGO kit is just the RFID FOB and antenna. It requires one of the Compustar FT-6 remote start/ keyless or security/rs/keyless brain.

I'm thinking my perfect solution is the EZGO fob with their drone mobile for long distance starts. The FOB is also small enough that I'm wondering if I could modify the stock fob to include this one on the back.

Here's a video of it in operation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzNvrmXKRqM

I actually bought just the EZGO entry kit from ebay before the DEI unit. At the time I didn't realize that I also needed a second module to make it work, and I don't care about remote start, or an alarm. The remote that comes with the EZGO unit is about 1/2 the length of the DEI, but about the same thickness, so adding it to the stock unit will not be ideal.

HI,
My wife and I now a 2014 CX-5 GT, but it doesn't have the advanced keyless. Our other car has it and was surprised the CX-5 doesn't have it.
Anyway, did you ever make any progress with this project, did you get it to work or too much to it?
Thanks
Dave

Hey I want some suggestions. I want to add more then one keyless remotes to a car. How can I add them?
I heard a lot about it but I find time totally time waste.

Hi jjw6455,

The pictures/links that you posted some years ago are not valid any longer. Could you post them again, please?

Thanks,
Alex

Back