5000 mile service on monday

VanguardX

:
CX-5
What should I expect so I don't get reamed at the dealer.

How long will it take?
How much should it cost?

The dealer told me since its my first visit, the oil change is free.

Thanks.

Oh, also the only issue I have is an annoying rattle over the passenger dashboard. Is that something that can be fixed?

5000 service? According to the service schedule (for "severe" conditions), all that's required at 5,000 miles is an oil change, fluid level checks and tire rotation. Find out what they will do and how much it will cost BEFORE you commit to anything. These scheduled service visits can be pretty fishy, with plenty of stories of dealers doing unneeded work. Don't get suckered into paying for something you don't need.

At 5000 miles, LOF, fluid check and tire rotation is what they did on mine. Cost was around $78, most of which was the added expense of the special oil.

I just had my 10,000 done last week, and I told them not to touch the tires since I have my winters on, so it was LOF only. Cost was around $58 this time.

The best part of both services was the 'free' car wash. It really, really needed it last week!

Should be ~ $16 for a tire rotation and zero for the oil & filter change unless you request the very special oil.

Your in NY - it will be more than other locations. Otherwise, it depends on what the dealer quotes. Since you are going to be negotiating while dropping the car off for service, you are somewhat limited. Have you read the owners manual to see what is required? If not, you should. Just because the dealer tells you service is "needed" or "due" that means that they think they can get you to come spend some money with them. Sometimes it correlates to what the manufacture requires, sometimes not.

Get out from car, open hood, check all fluids. 1 minute later get back into car and take car out for oil change (if you not doing it yourself). Done. If you want to spend another 5 minutes, check your tire pressure.

Yep, after I got all my free oil changes done, which amounted to 3 (+1 I paid for after), I put a drain valve on got some Moly and will be doing the rest myself.

I don't drive my CX5 too much, to work and back.
I purchased it Oct 1 2013. I'm only at 3,000km. I called the dealer in February because it was at 4months. They said not to do an oil change yet; it needs to have 5-6,000km on it.
Thoughts? Doesn't age matter? I remember them saying it has to be done every 5-7,000km or 4months.
Should I just wait til April/May when the weather gets warmer?

I don't drive my CX5 too much, to work and back.
I purchased it Oct 1 2013. I'm only at 3,000km. I called the dealer in February because it was at 4months. They said not to do an oil change yet; it needs to have 5-6,000km on it.
Thoughts? Doesn't age matter? I remember them saying it has to be done every 5-7,000km or 4months.
Should I just wait til April/May when the weather gets warmer?

I got mine done at four months when I was at <2500 km, as per schedule 2 due to cold weather and short trips. Crown Mazda didn't try and talk me out of it.

The only arguments against are that it is wasteful on oil (stupid argument considering we are moving 1600 kg of steel around with thousands of small petrol explosions), and unnecessary expense. But at $60, it is still a crapton cheaper than what I used to pay for services to a Corolla with 15W-40 while I was still back in Australia.......

I got mine done at four months when I was at <2500 km, as per schedule 2 due to cold weather and short trips. Crown Mazda didn't try and talk me out of it.

The only arguments against are that it is wasteful on oil (stupid argument considering we are moving 1600 kg of steel around with thousands of small petrol explosions), and unnecessary expense. But at $60, it is still a crapton cheaper than what I used to pay for services to a Corolla with 15W-40 while I was still back in Australia.......

That's funny, cuz that's the same place I called!

At 5000 miles, LOF, fluid check and tire rotation is what they did on mine. Cost was around $78, most of which was the added expense of the special oil.

I just had my 10,000 done last week, and I told them not to touch the tires since I have my winters on, so it was LOF only. Cost was around $58 this time.

The best part of both services was the 'free' car wash. It really, really needed it last week!

That's about the same pricing as my local California Mazda dealerships service pricing. The free car wash is a hand-wash fortunately.

Is there an argument to be made that the oil shipped from the factory has different additives so it's better to keep it for a longer period? Or is that myth that isn't done anymore?

Is there an argument to be made that the oil shipped from the factory has different additives so it's better to keep it for a longer period? Or is that myth that isn't done anymore?

I was watching Fast 'n' Loud on Discovery Channel. They didn't use break-in oil on a new engine and the thing went ka-put. They had to order a new new engine and they got break-in oil, (the oil they bought was 5x the normal price) and had no issues. Take that for what it's worth...

Scott

I've had 3 oil changes now, I'm at 15k.
Riverside Mazda in California.
They use Castrol full synthetic. The cool thing is we get $20 check for it. They send it in and Castrol mails me a $20 check for use as payment on my next oil change.
I skipped the 15k service which Riverside Mazda wants to charge $165. I opted for regular rotation/oil change, nothing on the 15k is worth paying for that isn't done on a regular "mazda full circle inspection".

I was watching Fast 'n' Loud on Discovery Channel. They didn't use break-in oil on a new engine and the thing went ka-put. They had to order a new new engine and they got break-in oil, (the oil they bought was 5x the normal price) and had no issues. Take that for what it's worth...

Yeah, see, I wouldn't use Fast'n'Loud as a prime example of good practice for auto mechanics......

Scott

Yeah, I saw that one too. But wasen't that for a rebuilt Shelby engine? There is a world of difference in tolerences etc. between a shop rebuilt engine an a factory made one I would think...

And like Beefy said... It's a show (entertainment), not a lesson in mechanics...

Back