CorkSport intake

Chibana

Contributor
:
2009 Mazda RX-8
I just ordered mine, red silicone, red filter, black MAF, and black clamps. I'll probably kick myself for spending the money later, but I wanted to get this with some tax return money. I had a CorkSport intake on my 2005 Mazda3, and I liked it.

Sweet. Apparently, it makes quite a difference on the GT.

I'm still enjoying my unmolested '14 GS 2.0, for now.

I looked it up in the website and its a 6 whp bump which is pretty good! Not sure how much the exhaust adds but the SRI + exhaust should be just right!

I'm not sure about the power gain--that dyno they have appears to be for the 2.0L engine. I asked them about it on Facebook, but didn't hear anything back. I'm assuming the power gain will be at least comparable to the 2.0L. Then again, we all know about assuming.

Any gain is appreciated at this point. What I did see before though was that it was like 9hp/12 lb-ft torque gain for the Mazda6 2.5 SRI. Hopefully you hear something back soon.

I asked the question of CorkSport in their forum on this site. The dyno is for the 2.5L, but it was done on a different dyno that measures power differently and results in lower numbers. Apparently MUCH lower numbers, as it's about 30 hp less than their OEM exhaust dyno. However, the power gains comparing the two graphs (OEM vs. CorkSport intake) are valid, so about 6 hp gain at the wheels.

The intake arrived yesterday:

IMAG0469.jpg

Not yet. Still waiting for winter to take a hike. Hopefully in a week or two it will warm up enough (and stay warm--winter just keeps coming back).

here is a 2.0 clip I made with cocksport SRI and exhaust.

I am calling around to see about getting a salvage header for modification and results. sky 2.0 has 3 separate cats.. + the large muffler.. that's fair restriction

Thanks for the video. It sounds good. I didn't know that either of them had more than one cat. I remember reading or watching something from Mazda about how they only need one because it's nestled within the 4-2-1 header for quick warm-up.

I installed my CorkSport intake today.

IMAG0491.jpg

The crappy phone photo makes the intake tube and filter look more orange than they are. They're red, just not as deep a red as Soul Red.

The intake sounds fantastic! I was expecting it to sound more like the FocusSport intake I had on my 2012 Focus. That was SERIOUSLY loud at WOT, and it wasn't a particularly good sound, like a loud drone or moan. Not quite that bad, but not all that thrilling, either. And did I mention it was LOUD? I wanted the extra power from an intake for this car, and I wanted a bit more sound, but I was worried it would be too much. It's not, at least not for me. It's considerably quieter than the intake on my Focus was, and it sounds great. It's unnoticeable at cruise, but it has a fantastic growl when you get on the gas, and as the tach approaches redline, it takes on a higher pitch metallic sound. I even heard a little bit of a bark at one point when the (sport mode) automatic shifted. Startled me a bit. I'm very happy with it. I'll try to get a sound clip of it with my cell phone next time (I wish I had thought of that today).

As far as noticing any performance improvement, I can't say that I did during my somewhat short test drive, but I'm not surprised. It's only 6whp maximum gain, and at the power peak, it's more like 5whp. At the flywheel, the car should be making a maximum power of 189-190hp. When the car is already as quick as this one is (for what it is), I wouldn't expect a 6whp gain, even across the top half of the rev range, to be all that noticeable. Frankly, the sound was drawing more of my attention!

I also plan to get the CorkSport axle-back exhaust eventually (probably not until next year, though). With that, the car *should* be making somewhere around 195hp, max, and sounding great while doing it. Not too shabby.

Any mpg increase that might have resulted from this intake, if there is one, was probably washed out with the fact that I tend to drive it more aggressively around town due to the fantastic sound. I don't see a significant difference in the numbers in my spreadsheet.

i wish they made some kinda of heat shield it just looks so tacky and ricey with the filter just sitting there like that.

i wish they made some kinda of heat shield it just looks so tacky and ricey with the filter just sitting there like that.

That's actually pretty standard for SRI intakes. I've seen a fair number of race cars with similar setups.

Intakes are more so for sound than any actual horsepower gain!
No... Intakes are designed for better air flow and higher volume intake, and therefore horsepower gains. Unfortunately, what you are referring to is (what used to be) the lack of tuning available to the Mazda 3 platform.
Now that tuning is available for us Intakes supply more than just music to our ears.

Back