MPG Average

Statistics are fun and all I do is get a receipt every time I fuel and write down my odometer reading and the mpg as reported by my trip computer to compare with the calculated mpg. Then I enter my results into Fuelly.com. Currently, my three month average is 449.2 miles per tank (spin)

My absolute worse MPG since new was 28.8 mpg but that was doing multiple ski trips in the middle of January with a lot of idling, warming up and driving through snow and mountain passes. The $$ I save on gas I use for fun adventures like winter trips to snorkel Hawaii in between ski trips. It's amazing going from skiing two feet of fresh pow-pow one day to stepping off the plane in Kauai the next day and smelling the tropical flowers and pleasant breezes. That's why I never complain about not having 300 useless HP on tap. Snorkeling in perfect water with the turtles and colorful fish is far better. I had to drive my F-150 the other day and noticed the trip computer was down to 15.2 mpg! I drove it 40 miles trying to get the MPG reading to move higher but it wouldn't budge because it hadn't been reset for ages. It holds 38 gallons of fuel and, when gas prices were high, it would cost over $150 to fill-up. Needless to say, the pick-up remains parked as much as possible.

Yep. I am saving 3 cases of 5.56 ammo per year with my CX-5 vs. my Jeep, and saving about a half a case, compared to my friend's 2.0XT Forester because of the difference in premium vs. regular alone, despite identical fuel mileage.

Yep. I am saving 3 cases of 5.56 ammo per year with my CX-5 vs. my Jeep, and saving about a half a case, compared to my friend's 2.0XT Forester because of the difference in premium vs. regular alone, despite identical fuel mileage.
So we have a happy mpg'er saving for a nice relaxing vacation, and a peeved mpg'er saving up for cases of weapons ammunition.

I am a content mpg'er, and just saving up for the next Mazda...
(drinks)

That's cool (pics)

I'd love to see it if it's not too much trouble.

Here it is - I think the flash point was impacted by it sitting and being run at idle before being changed:
QfeqOGO.png

So we have a happy mpg'er saving for a nice relaxing vacation, and a peeved mpg'er saving up for cases of weapons ammunition.

(drinks)

Well, from my viewpoint, shooting and training is relaxing and provides an outlet for competitive energy. Of course, the gym does cost less.

Anyway, the RX-9 is something I'm curious about!

(drinks)

Funny how that works....

Save even more.... Reload'em.

I should. My father has tried and tried to push me to it. However, I tend to prefer 5.56 ammo, and it would require an annoying amount of case prep, with staked primers and all. If I am to shoot cheap stuff, it's Wolf or something (gasp! yes, it functions fine in all my guns.), and that's pretty similar to reloading in cost, minus the time cost.

If I reloaded, it would be so that I could shoe-horn my favorite projectiles into the chamber, but honestly, Black Hills and ATK have gone and done a GREAT! job of that, already for me. I spoke with Jeff Hoffman a while back and requested a run of sealed case NECKS and primers on his 5.56 TSX/GMX ammo. He went and changed the entire assembly line and now EVERY TSX/GMX load Black Hills puts out has sealed case necks AND primers. For serious ammo, I want things sealed. humidity and all that. With monometal bullets, you don't get as solid a crimp because the copper has no soft lead core that compresses. I have left TSX ammo in a glass of water for 30 minutes, and pulled them down and found clumped powder. I can only imagine that a very humid hunt/dip in the river/kept in a "car gun" for a few months might degrade the situation...

Anyway. long diatribe. yes, I should reload for cheaper practice, and to play with things such as the bonded scirroco's, etc.

Here it is - I think the flash point was impacted by it sitting and being run at idle before being changed:
QfeqOGO.png

That's actually a very solid UOA. I'll be sticking with the Mazda moly oil. Whether the moly really matters or not, that's a darn good UOA regarding the addpack!

Back