Removing Roof Rack and/or Rack Delete Parts Without Breaking Them?

StevieB

I've heard these parts get brittle with age. Another forum member wants my delete parts, but I am scared to try to remove them, for fear of breakage. Any solid suggestions? Thanks.

The plastic pieces that cover the mounting areas broke after a two and a half foot drop. The clips that hold them in also broke upon removal. So yes, they are incredibly easy to break. I think if are careful enough you should be alright. The key is putting even pressure on the whole piece during removal. That way you don't put too much stress on any one area.

Also try to have them as warm as possible, the plastic is more brittle when cold and more prone to breaking.

I removed the roof rack cross bars this morning on my '03 P5. I had only one tab break on the several parts I had to remove. My car has been garaged constantly, and that helped a lot. If I had been more patient, I may have avoided even breaking that one tab. I also replaced the deteriorating antenna with an Acura RDX one and filled the cross bars holes with the blanks that came with the car. The car now has an updated look, but still looks stock.

Back