Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF Drain/Fill

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    Must be a "horribly crappy transmission". That's why they all predictably fail right around 50,000 miles.

Seriously, I could count on my fingers all the CX-5 transmission failures we've heard about and they all failed early due to a manufacturing defect. The engine/transmission is one of the best things about the CX-5 whether you're talking 2.0L g or 2.5L g.
    Exactly. Which led me to conclude that fluid color means zip. Like diesel motor oil.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring

I drained/filled my ATF yesterday at 50,000 miles. Really, it's so easy that I can't imagine why anyone would not do this, regardless of Mazda claiming that it never has to be done. I keep my cars until they die, so doing this every 50K makes as much sense to me as changing the oil.
    The worst part of this for me was just reaching the dipstick. I don't think that I have very large arms, but man it was a tight squeeze just to jamb my arm down far enough to get to the dipstick! Removing the cladding underneath wasn't too bad - I use ramps to lift the front of the car making the access pretty easy. Beyond that it's as simple as an oil change. Seeing blue liquid on the ground where I spilled a little bit of fluid was kinda odd. Like a blueberry muffin was bleeding on the driveway. LOL. I've never had a blue fluid before.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robertmazda View Post
    I drained/filled my ATF yesterday at 50,000 miles. Really, it's so easy that I can't imagine why anyone would not do this, regardless of Mazda claiming that it never has to be done. I keep my cars until they die, so doing this every 50K makes as much sense to me as changing the oil.
    The worst part of this for me was just reaching the dipstick. I don't think that I have very large arms, but man it was a tight squeeze just to jamb my arm down far enough to get to the dipstick! Removing the cladding underneath wasn't too bad - I use ramps to lift the front of the car making the access pretty easy. Beyond that it's as simple as an oil change. Seeing blue liquid on the ground where I spilled a little bit of fluid was kinda odd. Like a blueberry muffin was bleeding on the driveway. LOL. I've never had a blue fluid before.

How many quarts did you drain out?
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 49K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    How many quarts did you drain out?
    It was 3.5 quarts. As suggested, I measured the amount coming out to decide how much to put back in. Checking the level of course after that.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robertmazda View Post
    It was 3.5 quarts. As suggested, I measured the amount coming out to decide how much to put back in. Checking the level of course after that.
    Thanks! That sounds about typical from most transmissions I have serviced. 3-5 quarts...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

03 P5, 13 CX5

Thanks for the how to!

Registered Member

2011 M3 Touring / 2014 CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    ...Seriously, I could count on my fingers all the CX-5 transmission failures we've heard about and they all failed early due to a manufacturing defect. The engine/transmission is one of the best things about the CX-5 whether you're talking 2.0L g or 2.5L g.
    I'm not doubting it when I ask what leads you to draw that conclusion. I just got my CX-5 and am truly impressed with the engine and AT performance thus far... would also love to think they're going to be, as they say, 'bullet-proof' durable. I just want to know if there's been an appreciable number of high-mileage (say, 200 KMile +) owners with glowing reports of low/no repairs.

Registered Member

Mazda cx5 sport 2013`

i was thinking of using a pump to pull fluid out of the fill hole anyone know if i would get the same amount out as pulling the drain plug ? looking at buying this Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus thanks all
    Last edited by sonicsc1; 09-12-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsc1 View Post
    i was thinking of using a pump to pull fluid out of the fill hole anyone know if i would get the same amount out as pulling the drain plug ? looking at buying this Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus thanks all
    IMO... if going to the trouble to change you should drain. A more complete drain, better extraction of particulate and a chance to clean the magnet are just a few reasons...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

No. Do not attach a vacuum to the drain. The system is designed for drain and fill to restore viscosity, not a complete flush. YOu will pull fluid that would not normally drain and may cause problems later. Btw last time I drained my almost 5q came out.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring (base)

I'm sure there will be a lot of different opini9ns on this, and they are welcome...

Rather than pumping out the fluid, anyone have thoughts for doing a double drain with say 1000 miles between each...at least for first drain refill? Might be overkill, but one can certainly argue that theis one time double drain should certainly do a more thorough clearing of the break in particles in the tranny, and torque converter.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edj_03 View Post
    I'm sure there will be a lot of different opini9ns on this, and they are welcome...

Rather than pumping out the fluid, anyone have thoughts for doing a double drain with say 1000 miles between each...at least for first drain refill? Might be overkill, but one can certainly argue that theis one time double drain should certainly do a more thorough clearing of the break in particles in the tranny, and torque converter.
    I don't see any issue with that other than expense of fluids... and frankly that seems fairly irrelevant considering transmission rebuild costs.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring (base)

Just my thought instead of pumping out from parts that were not supposed to be during drain, and finding you cannot refill because the pressure while running is required to refill the voids, or worse yet having an air bubble in system...

Registered Member

Mazda cx5 sport 2013`

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    IMO... if going to the trouble to change you should drain. A more complete drain, better extraction of particulate and a chance to clean the magnet are just a few reasons...
    good point

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Fwiw I actually noticed a difference in changing my ceont tranfer case vs restoring my trans fluid. Keep in mind the transfer case actually puts power to the wheels. Mine was not filled as specified and there was sludge. Sharp power on turns are much smoother now with less likely to get a DSC induced torque cut. Also I immediately noticed the change in engine braking (which i do often). But I also drive my vehicle harder than most and have a suspension capable of sharp power on turns, + my frequent engine braking will put more wear on the fluid. Remeber that fluid is also a big part in power delivery so as it thins it affects transfer case operation.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast