Guide ATF Drain/Fill

It is what it is. Not even Idemitsu themselves says that the over the counter stuff is not exactly the same as the Mazda branded fluid. There was a thread on BobIsTheOilGuy about that.

I scored 6 quarts of Mazda fluid off of eBay from a Mazda dealer selling on there and got for $75 shipped.
$10 each is good. Last time I called around locally they wanted more like $14-$16 a bottle. I only need 4 quarts as my drains are usually around 3.5 qts. I may pick up an extra bottle just in case.

Dropping the pan to change the transmission filter and clean the magnet off today. It’s going extremely well! I used an oil pan separator to get the pan off. I started at a corner and tapped it in with a nylon mallet. It was difficult but made the task possible in about 10 minutes. It’s about 9 years old so there was no way I was going to be able to just pull the pan off. Tapping it with a mallet around the perimeter of the pan is extremely awkward. I did about 3/4 of the pan, and it pulled off easily. I had the car on the ground but having it up on jackstands would allow better ergonomics, but I just really don’t care for working under a car on stands.

I used Motorcraft silicon gasket remover to get the old material off the pan. I applied it liberally and immediately went to work with a plastic scraper. That took the big chunks off in strips. I continued to apply the gasket remover and switched to a brass brush. I scrubbed and scrubbed while applying more gasket remover and it was all off within 15 minutes. It left the mating surface a little dull from the brush but it didn’t remove any of the finish from the pan. I had to rinse liberally with water to get all of the debris off the pan. I’ll follow up with purple power degreaser and a heavy rinsing with water to ensure the gasket remover residue is gone.

I won’t be able to spray the gasket remover on the transmission mating surface though. It comes out fast even from a straw and it’ll likely get in the transmission. Applying it with a rag might be the way to go, but it may not be necessary. There is very little silicone on the transmission. Some degreaser applied with a rag and wiping down with water might be all I need to do.

I ordered new transmission pan bolts for the job. It may not be necessary because mine look great. The threads on the old bolts do have some silicone on them though so I’m fine replacing them with the new clean bolts.

Dropping the pan to change the transmission filter and clean the magnet off today. It’s going extremely well! I used an oil pan separator to get the pan off. I started at a corner and tapped it in with a nylon mallet. It was difficult but made the task possible in about 10 minutes. It’s about 9 years old so there was no way I was going to be able to just pull the pan off. Tapping it with a mallet around the perimeter of the pan is extremely awkward. I did about 3/4 of the pan, and it pulled off easily. I had the car on the ground but having it up on jackstands would allow better ergonomics, but I just really don’t care for working under a car on stands.

I used Motorcraft silicon gasket remover to get the old material off the pan. I applied it liberally and immediately went to work with a plastic scraper. That took the big chunks off in strips. I continued to apply the gasket remover and switched to a brass brush. I scrubbed and scrubbed while applying more gasket remover and it was all off within 15 minutes. It left the mating surface a little dull from the brush but it didn’t remove any of the finish from the pan. I had to rinse liberally with water to get all of the debris off the pan. I’ll follow up with purple power degreaser and a heavy rinsing with water to ensure the gasket remover residue is gone.

I won’t be able to spray the gasket remover on the transmission mating surface though. It comes out fast even from a straw and it’ll likely get in the transmission. Applying it with a rag might be the way to go, but it may not be necessary. There is very little silicone on the transmission. Some degreaser applied with a rag and wiping down with water might be all I need to do.

I ordered new transmission pan bolts for the job. It may not be necessary because mine look great. The threads on the old bolts do have some silicone on them though so I’m fine replacing them with the new clean bolts.
Are you going to use OEM filter cartridge and RTV (OEM or?) or aftermarket filter cartridge with rubber pan gasket?

I think yrwei52 was asking if you used RTV instead of Rubber Gasket, but sounds like you did with Mazda RTV.
Yes, I used the Mazda RTV. The key to roll up the tube and the dispenser nozzle made it easier to apply.

For what it's worth, I've had terrific luck with Wix filters and their silicone gasket before.

Please elaborate on bad experience with silicone gasket. I'm interested in replacing the gasket maker with rubber/silicone gasket if it works..

For most people, they don't even replace the ATF filter. Replacing ATF filter with Wix filter should be better than not changing it at all, right?

Wix makes terrific quality filters, don't be afraid to choose them.

The Wix also comes with a gasket to use instead of having to rely on RTV.

The schedule I use for my ATF changes is this:
30k miles drain and fill
60k drain, drop pan, clean magnet, replace filter, fill
90k drain and fill
120 drop pan

rinse and repeat

Actually, I misunderstood. I thought you had terrible luck not terrific luck, I need new pair of glasses. I trust any filter Wix (Hummel now) makes. Thanks.

So, have you replaced the pan with Wix (rubber or silicone?) gasket at 60,000 with no leak?

Turns out chopsticks were the perfect size to fit in the transmission pan bolt holes too. I broke the tips off some wooden ones and made them about 2 inches long. I stuck one in each corner of the transmission housing, and they worked really well for guiding the pan back into the proper position. Now for an overnight cure for the RTV and I’ll fill the transmission back up tomorrow afternoon.

So, have you replaced the pan with Wix (rubber or silicone?) gasket at 60,000 with no leak?
Yup. No leaks. I've done it on both my CX-5 and Mazda5.
Had used cork transmission pan gasket before and it would always leak after a while. Newer rubber pan gasket should be better. Still don’t understand why car manufactures don’t use rubber gasket on transmission pan as it has to be easier and faster for transmission assembly at the factory.

Had used cork transmission pan gasket before and it would always leak after a while. Newer rubber pan gasket should be better. Still don’t understand why car manufactures don’t use rubber gasket on transmission pan as it has to be easier and faster for transmission assembly at the factory.
I can only think they use RTV due to the “lifetime” no maintenance philsophy on the transmission. A machine squirting RTV might be cheaper than a gasket, and it permanently seals the pan for life. But the cheaper reasoning admittedly doesn’t hold up when you look and see the drain plug. If lifetime is the approach, why have a drain plug in the pan? It all stumps me lol!

Nothing but to save a few pennies.

Lifetime fill, then there's a drain plug. The same thinking goes to ATF filter, it would have been much easier to have a inline filter instead of pan drop.

Nothing but to save a few pennies.

Lifetime fill, then there's a drain plug. The same thinking goes to ATF filter, it would have been much easier to have a inline filter instead of pan drop.
But the way Mazda SkyActive-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission designed, there’s no way an (external and easy replaceable) inline ATF filter can be used.

Back