Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Who is towing with their CX-9?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

A couple of points. The "Equal-i-zer" brand hitch is very good, combining weight distribution and a superior type of friction sway damping. Many people call any conventional weight distribution hitch an equalizing or equalizer hitch. The simplest, cheapest, least effective sway damping is the friction sway control bar. Always take the weight of the hitch assembly into account as part of your tongue weight, and figure in any load you'll carry in the back of the car, including people in the 3rd row, heavy groceries & beverages, firewood, etc.
    http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%.../fourpoint.php
    http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...stribution.php
    http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...hitchsizes.php

For clarity...what is a trailer hitch?
    The hitch receiver is bolted to the car.
    The hitch coupler is bolted to the trailer tongue.
    The ball mount holds the ball and slides into the receiver...alternately, the weight distribution "hitch" hold the ball and includes the spring bars.

The newer style proportional trailer brake controllers with a solid state accelerometer built into them do a great job of smooth braking. Avoid the old pendulum controllers that required manual leveling (never a good idea to take your attention away from the road and the traffic), and avoid the time-based controllers that increase the trailer braking force the longer you have your foot on the pedal--always has been a stupid idea.

The built in wiring for the trailer lights works well. It supplies the lighting power for tail, brake, & turn signal lights, and the Tekonsha unit works fine. For electric trailer brakes additional wiring is needed for the brakes power plus 12V power to charge the trailer's battery. Back up light wiring can also be added if desired.

Registered Member

CX-9

Newbie here. Good thread. I'm looking at 2013 vintage 9.

Please confirm for me that that an AWD Touring has the teams cooler standard?

Just sold my 24' boat and do not plan on getting another, so... no need for my 2013 Ram 1500 crew hemi and am thinking of swapping for a mid size SUV that can tow some. My use would be occasional homeowner stuff, mulch, etc, on a decent size utility trailer. Would love to keep truck but it's not needed and would just sit most of the time. Too much $ in it for that.

Thanks.

CX Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

can't say for sure. if it has towing wiring in the rear, I'd say it has the trans cooler and larger radiator. but the brakes are a big factor. cx9 brakes are not great. just did all rotors and pads a couple weeks ago. 3rd set on the front with 94k miles. Not good. Some of that has to do with the fact that where I live there are traffic lights every 500 feet. it is absurd.

2013 CX9

I have a '13 AWD Touring. It has the transmission cooler and there is a blank harness in the back under the plastic storage bin. You need a harness kit from Mazda dealer that provides you the standard 4-pin trailer connector. I'm sure UHaul can hack job a harness in, but it's nicer to just grab the plug and play unit from Mazda which I believe uses a separate power source for all the trailer lighting rather than piggy back off your tail light circuits. It takes 15 minutes to install. I'm at 65,000 miles. One set of front pads about 10,000 miles ago, original rotors. I tow my camper about 2,000 miles a year. Anticipating traffic goes a long way toward saving your brakes. Watch the cars (plural) ahead of you and lift off when you see any brake lights. I can usually coast in stop and go traffic.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring

We towed an Aluma 7x10 trailer (with the tall tailgate) and Ural motorcycle from CT to SD and back, almost 4,000 miles exactly. Total weight around 1600 lbs. Ran at 70 mph most of the time, Averaged around 12 mpg. I didn't find braking to be a problem, had to brake hard a couple times. Brakes were checked when we got back and showed very little wear.

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Does anyone make an air-shock or ride-leveling device that will fit the CX-9 (2013)?
    I tried Firestone Ride-Rite and they don't list anything on their website and I called and spoke to Customer Service, they said they don't offer one for this vehicle.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

What tongue weight are you towing? How much load in the car?

Look into a weight distributing hitch, preferably with sway control. This will lift the rear and send some of the weight to the front.
    https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wei...-sb-Price.aspx

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD

Transmission temp while towing?

Hi, newbie here. This thread has some great info in it and I appreciate everyone sharing what they know.

I have a 2013 CX-9 AWD so it has the towing package. I recently bought a small hybrid trailer that weights 2620. With my gear loaded I estimate it weights 3100 or 3200 lbs. In the car is just my wife and I, under 300 lbs combined. I also have a weight distribution hitch and sway bar. Hitch weight is just under the 350 lb limit. So everything is under the towing capacity. On our first trip everything worked great, no issues other than the crappy gas mileage that I expected. But I noticed the transmission temperature is a little higher than I expected. On hills the temperature would hit 235 degrees. Flat road was around 220 at 60 mph. I'm manually shifting and leaving in 5th for flat roads. Does this seem normal? Does anyone know what the max temperature should be before I should get concerned and slow down?

I'm using a bluetooth ODBII sensor to monitor the transmission temperature with my cell phone.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by wazkaren; 05-04-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billz1979 View Post
    So we just purchased a Jayco SLX Ultra lightweight camper for the family. I purposely avoided the heavier models and settled on a 15 ft 2400Lb dry weight trailer. From extensive reading online and talking to people who tow/camp everyone seems to be fairly confident that with WD, sway control, class 3 hitch and trailer brake control I should have NO problem at all with my 2010 GT AWD CX9. I understand I will be driving in Manual mode and never taking it into overdrive but was hoping for some insight from others who have towed this size trailer with their CX9 AWD. I have preemptively installed a transmission cooler and replaced my fluids with synthetic. Thoughts? comments? Anything else I should be doing?
    I have considered having an external transmission cooler installed. The shop estimated 425 to do the install which seems high. Could you tell me what you installed?

CX Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

I can't answer your question. But I can provide input on external cooler. If you are towing even semi-regularly, 425 is worth it for an external cooler.
    My 2008 has an external trans cooler (oem) and about a month ago I towed an overloaded 6x12 uhaul trailer and even damaged the large threaded coupler on the U-Haul trailer from the constant forward and backward jerking motion of what was likely 4,000 pounds of junk in the trailer.
    Probly not very smart of me, but I didn't realize how heavy it was until after un-coupling the trailer and seeing the damage done to the trailer.
    Thanfully the oem mazda hitch is fine, and my transmission is fine. This was about a 500 mile trip.
    I have only ever drained and re-filled my trans once, around 50k some miles, and now I'm at 95k. Trans fluid still has some red tint to it but I plan to drain-refill again this summer. Even after my overloaded towing situation, I've since driven another 750 miles or so and trans has no issues.
    Likely thanks to the external cooler. Trans is rock solid but I would recommend you get that external cooler installed. A lot cheaper than burning up the trans.

Quote Originally Posted by wazkaren View Post
    Hi, newbie here. This thread has some great info in it and I appreciate everyone sharing what they know.

I have a 2013 CX-9 AWD so it has the towing package. I recently bought a small hybrid trailer that weights 2620. With my gear loaded I estimate it weights 3100 or 3200 lbs. In the car is just my wife and I, under 300 lbs combined. I also have a weight distribution hitch and sway bar. Hitch weight is just under the 350 lb limit. So everything is under the towing capacity. On our first trip everything worked great, no issues other than the crappy gas mileage that I expected. But I noticed the transmission temperature is a little higher than I expected. On hills the temperature would hit 235 degrees. Flat road was around 220 at 60 mph. I'm manually shifting and leaving in 5th for flat roads. Does this seem normal? Does anyone know what the max temperature should be before I should get concerned and slow down?

I'm using a bluetooth ODBII sensor to monitor the transmission temperature with my cell phone.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Thanks, that's good to know. I was considering it just as a kind of insurance. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by helbigtw View Post
    My 2008 has an external trans cooler (oem)
    Do you mean an external cooler that came as part of the towing package or did you have an additional cooler added?

2013 CX9

@wazkaren, what are your transmission temps when you are just driving around without the trailer hooked up?

Also, I actually let the transmission go into 6th when I'm cruising on flat ground. My trailer weighs less than yours (2200lbs) but I can get the torque converter to lockout in 6th which is likely safer on all the components than having it hunting for RPMs in 5th. I'm not sure whether the lockout will engage in 5th. If someone knows, please correct me.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Without the trailer temps are 180 to 190.

It seems like the converter is locking out in 5th (when I press on the gas the rpms do not go up). Next time I'll try leaving in 6th and see if that makes a difference.

It's also possible that the temps I'm reading with the OBDII gauge are not real. I got the "Torque Pro" (an android app) settings from a different thread on this forum. And I don't know where the temp sensor is located so I may be fooling myself.

Greg

2013 CX9

If you see low values without the trailer, and high values with it, then my guess is that you are getting some sort of reading from a sensor. I believe the tow-package vehicles have a separate fan controller for the fan that resides over the transmission cooler side of the radiator, while the non-tow-package vehicles have a single controller that operates both fans. The fans can operate even when the motor is off (don't go sticking your hand in there with the battery connected). The fan controller likely needs to read the temp signal to make sure that fan is engaged when the transmission is hot but the engine temp is cool. Of course, at 60 mph the fans probably don't engage at all since wind passing through provides more than enough cooling. I don't know what the recommended operating temps are for the transmission but if you are towing at or below the recommended rate at 60mph in moderate temps there should be no reason to worry about it. Just log those values you see, and pay very close attention when the outside temps exceed 90, you get stuck in traffic after a long pull, or you are pulling hard through the mountains. If you see temps spike well above what you've been seeing, it's time to slow down or pull over.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast