Who is towing with their CX-9?

I am glad to see many people pulling a trailer with the CX-9, but some of you are much braver than me. I did put a hitch on my and it has the towing package. I bought a 6'x9' flatbed trailer for my quads and the Mazda. I can tell you I will not pull anything heavier with the CX-9, the trailer loaded can handle 1500lbs and the trailer its self weighs 550lbs. I have had 2 full size quads on there (what it was made for) and the railer was just under 2000lbs total and the Mazda was gutless. I had to manually shift or it would shift too early, and before you say it I drive like an old man and am not a speedster. I don't drive faster than 65 mph towing any trailer, I believe the Mazda will do fine around town but have ruled out taking trips to the mountains with it and the trailer. The sad part is the CX-9 does great in the mountains with no trailer.

Towing at elevation definitely sucks the horsepower and performance of a NA engine. We visited Durango, Park City and Lake Tahoe this past summer with CX9 loaded with kids and wife, no trailer though. At ~6000 elevation the performance decrease was noticeable. However we saw quite a few travel and boat trailers and old rvs at Lake Tahoe ~6000ft, Prius with HW pop up, 245hp Honda Pilots with dual axle trailers or boats, old MHs with ~200hp V8s, so high elevation travel all doable with patience. We have seen an easy 70+mph with trailer in tow here in Texas (4-5-6th gear pending wind direction), I've also seen 3rd gear in long I-10 climb west of San Antonio, still maintaining 60mph+. Noting all along 3.5 liter engine versus torquier 3.7liter. Always nice to have more power, but more power usually means bigger vehicle, bigger trailer (would be nice), so no real performance benefit. On a good note 2007 CX 9 AWD will hit 100,000 miles this month with three issues, Rear ac relay ~15$, of and on squeeking front strut over speed bumps and driver side window rubber gasket and wind noise, otherwise tires, gas and brakes including 7500miles towing trailer, looks brand new and love 30$ oil changes, That's great value!

....On a good note 2007 CX 9 AWD will hit 100,000 miles this month with three issues, Rear ac relay ~15$, of and on squeeking front strut over speed bumps and driver side window rubber gasket and wind noise, otherwise tires, gas and brakes including 7500miles towing trailer, looks brand new and love 30$ oil changes, That's great value!

Great to know that after 7 years, 100k mi, and some towing in it's life the CX-9 is doing great! I just got a 2014 a few weeks back, and of course I immediately found the transmission woe threads on the site after the ink was dry. But my fears have been alleviated talking to more owners and stories like yours are always great to hear :) All comes down to proper maintenance, I think.

We tow a braked trailer with a Bowrider boat 20 foot, CX9 Brakes need replacing with something better, need to feel the bite of confidence. Brakes are not good, possible weak point IMO, only after 4 days of ownership.

I'll be installing a Trans Cooler and Fan to keep the fluid at temp.

Cheers

We tow a braked trailer with a Bowrider boat 20 foot, CX9 Brakes need replacing with something better, need to feel the bite of confidence. Brakes are not good, possible weak point IMO, only after 4 days of ownership.

I'll be installing a Trans Cooler and Fan to keep the fluid at temp.

Cheers

You should have done a little more research before buying the CX9. A 20 Bowrider is 3,100 lbs dry weight. That doesn't include gear, gas, and the trailer. You're easily at or possibly over the 3,500 lb capacity of the CX9. If you don't have electronic trailer brakes, it is a recipe for disaster, and likely the reason you feel the brakes are a weak point. I can tell you that hauling 3,000lbs with an electronic brake controller is a breeze. The vehicle stops fine and doesn't get pushed by the trailer. I have my Prodigy P2 controller set to 6.5 with no boost.

As for transmission cooler, the AWD version of the CX9 comes with a transmission cooler and larger radiator. It doesn't need any additional equipment to stay cool hauling up to 3,500lbs.

EDIT: Just realized you are in Australia. The capacities might be different there compared to the U.S. I know I would be shopping for a larger vehicle if I were towing a boat of that size state side.

Thanks for the feedback, I did my research before dropping $30K (cars expensive in AUS), we see CX9's towing 18 to 20FT boats all around Sydney. My boat is actually 5.5m or 18ft just measured it :) .

Viking Bowrider With the 140hp Merc Outbound engine the weight should be 1100KG.

The trailer is hydraulically braked.

Towing Capacity of the CX9 Braked is 2000kg so we are all good......i hope....

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/content/reviews/2003/bowrider/bayliner/bowrider-blitz-9387

I'll have to find the trans cooler, take a look in manual, unless you can direct me ?

p.s the Brakes are crap even without towing....they need replacing

Last edited:
Hmmm 2000kg (confirmed by Mazda.com.au) ~= 4400 lbs stateside. So indeed the towing capacities are different between the two markets. Wonder if it's something with the vehicle (unlikely) or something with regulations (likely). Sounds like you looked up the specs, but also keep in mind the tongue weight is still only 330lbs ~=150kg.

Interesting difference between regions, same chassis, hardware, we only get 3.7L engines over here, not sure what else is available globally.

The CX9 suffers the boat well (less the earlier commented brakes), no rear end sagging when lowered onto the tow tongue.

Most of the boats weight is at the rear over the trailer axle.

To comment on the engines, yep. 3.7L Ford Cyclone V6 throughout the globe. Unless anyone has a first model year 2007, which had a 3.5.

Wonder if it's something with the vehicle (unlikely) or something with regulations (likely). Sounds like you looked up the specs, but also keep in mind the tongue weight is still only 330lbs ~=150kg.
It's regulations related to trailer weighting. In the US they recommend a minimum of 10% on the tongue and since Mazda knows it is good for about 350lbs, they rate it for 3,500. In other countries where driving 75-80 mph through cross winds isn't expected, they allow sometimes as little as 5% on the tongue. I've had my camper weighted wrong before...I won't go below 10% ever on the highway.

I got my car used with 17,000 miles on it. I notice the front rotors were warped and had them replaced under warranty. Before they did that, braking wasn't great but afterwards it was about what I expected for a vehicle this size. Before you go replacing the entire braking system, try out a few different pads to see if you can get the feel you are looking for from the pedal. It's probably more about how the brakes initially grip than about their actual ability to stop. The CX9 rated above average with braking distance when compared against other vehicles in its class. Also, braking feels different based on suspension too. The CX9 is stiff. I drove a Hyundai Santa Fe rental a few weeks ago and the brakes were very touchy causing the car to nose dive under hard braking. The CX9 never does that. I think it was just the soft suspension that made the brake pedal feel more responsive than it actually was.

You know it doesn't matter what kind of Vehicle you have. I had an RX7 and many vettes and mustangs now I have a nice 2015 CX9 and its really nice to have forums you learn so much.
Forums rock!!
Thanks everyone. (breakn)

So, its been a while since last post, but I've never towed a trailer at 70-75 mph at least not for a consistent period, though CX9 has easily done this, gas mileage and safety sucks at that speed so not my way of towing, my ~325lb tongue weight has never been a problem on my 2009 Starcraft 18RB and 2007 CX9 AWD as far as any sway after 7000 miles of towing, if anything I have smoked Ford Rangers, Ford Explorers, Chevy s-10s, Chevy Astro vans, old 1/2 ton trucks and piece of s**** Trailer Blazers etc on plenty of back country roads in Texas. Would not consider any of those vehicles for even safe daily drivers. The CX9 has a GCWR of some 10300lbs everywhere but the US, Vehicles are no different, than US spec, so towing 8750lb combined trailer is a no brainer, NOT even considering below axles max loads, hitch weights etc. I tow at ~5600lbs CX9 controlling 3400lbs with now problems. Same horsepower, heavier tow vehicle (Dodge Ram 1500 V6) has 6500lbtow rating / Truck brakes and handling much worse than modern SUV. I know from driving and comparison!!!! As a final note, my friend 2014 Audi A8lL has ~120lbs more payload than my father in-laws 2014b Ford EXL? F150 crew cab 4wd ecoboost, how pathetic is that, not even considering, turbo 4.0 liter V8 horsepower and break advantage to Audi A8 versus 3.5liter f150 v6TT 150!!!. Noting Audi A8 has a ~5000lb towing capacity in Germany!!!!!!!

That's quite a run-on sentence and I'm having trouble making sense of it all. What is the trailer weight and tongue weight of what you have been towing?

As I have stated before, tow ratings are often different in other countries because of the laws regarding tongue weight. In the US, your suspension and hitch must be equipped to handle 10% of the weight of the trailer. In the case of the CX9, that is 350lbs (for the vehicle) and 400lbs (for the Curt class 3 hitch or equivalent). If you are in a country such as Australia where only 7.5% of the trailer weight must be on the tongue you can haul more weight because 350 is 7.5% of 4,600lbs vs 350 being 10% of 3,500 lbs. They also specify in their ratings that trailer brakes are mandatory for weights over 1,500lbs, a distinction that they don't make in the U.S.

Trucks with the same horse power as your CX9 can haul more simply because they can support more weight on the tongue. They either have frame-on body designs that can withstand the torque applied by a weight distribution hitch or they have adjustable suspensions that can alter ride height based on load. They also have longer wheel bases with rear tires positioned closer to the hitch to properly distribute weight.

If you are towing more than double the rated weight (I'm looking that that 8750lb number you threw in there), you are in serious danger of causing an accident. You may be able to cruise down the highway with ease but if you had to make an emergency stop there is no way the CX9 could withstand the pressure of that tongue bearing down on the back of the vehicle. It could likely lift up the front end under heavy braking. That's a worst case scenario, but more than likely you will just hit the thermal limits of the transmission leading to early failure.

Hi all,
In a couple of weeks, I will be towing a 5x10' Uhaul trailer with my "new" 2009 CX-9 through the Appalachian Mountains. I have added a Curt Class III Hitch and Trailer Wiring Harness as the vehicle did not come with any. I have heard that the Cx-9 trucks that come with a hitch have a different ECU flash. Is there any way I can reflash my truck and is it worth the effort? I know these drive trains are weak and I just want to help it any way I can. Thanks in advance.

There is no reflash that I am aware of, but the AWD models which come with a factory transmission cooler may be programmed differently from the factory. Basically, if you have AWD you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Towing prep for 2009 has a different radiator and adds external transmission cooler in addition to the trailer wiring. Not sure about transmission programming but I'd be more concerned about the brakes. Use manual shifting going downhill to try and save the brakes. I towed the largest uhaul trailer they make from Erie, PA to central KY and even with being careful I still roasted my brakes. Needed front rotors and pads afterwards. And mine has the oem towing equipment.

Yep, AWD.
Thanks for the tip on downshifting. Didn't know the brakes were that weak. I will keep it in a lower gear for sure when on I-64 in WV.

If the trailer doesn't have brakes you do need to be careful. Rotors will warp if hot pads stay in one place for too long. After hard braking, try to keep rolling. In traffic, leave a gap to avoid hard braking and constant stopping. The other cause of warped rotors is improperly torqued lug nuts so it's always good to check them after a rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a long round trip tow from NC to WI with a 5x8 U haul. I got brand new brakes and rotors before I left.

NC to WI with empty trailer (about 1000 lbs):
First off, this vehicle REALLY needs a tow/haul mode. I used manual mode and kept it in 5th gear. This transmission always wants to shift into 6th and I can't stand it.
I recorded mpg there and back. I always used 89 octane unless stated. Most fill ups were 18-19 gallons.
With the trailer empty, I got: NC to WV, 14.7 MPG; WV to Ohio, 12.5 mpg; Ohio to Ill, 13.3 mpg (93 octane)
I used Drive through indiana and the truck was in 6th most of the time.

WI to NC with trailer PACKED to the brim (2500 lbs?):
I wanted a lot of tongue weight and may have gone overboard. My wife needed to stand on the back for me to lift it off of the hitch. I used Manual mode the entire time and did not want to screw around with drive.
I would stay in 5th and on the bigger hills I would shift to 4th as soon as I felt it struggle even a little. It worked great since I could keep my momentum just fine. I tested it with Drive and it really sucks. It would stay in 5th until it was exhausted with momentum being lost, and then it would SLAM it in 3rd gear. It seems very inefficient. On the longer steeper mountains, I manually shifted to 3rd a couple of times.
This seems terrible for the transmission and less efficient. I get the feeling that this engine hates being dogged out in low RPMs. On the longer and steeper mountain passes, I manually shifted to 3rd a couple of times.
With trailer full I got: WI to Il, 13.9 MPG (half the tank was 91 octane ethanol-free); Il to IN, 12.4 mpg, IN to Oh, 13.9 mpg, OH to WV, 13.0 mpg, WV to NC 13.9 mpg

Overall, very happy. The truck did great with that size trailer. Manually shifting into 4th down the mountain passes really saved my brakes. Manual mode kinda sucks, because it won't downshift for you either. I really think this truck would do better on fuel if the Transmission wouldn't be so damn lazy, even unloaded. It wants to shift into 6th gear just above 40 MPH. I really wish they had a tune for these things. It would be more capable, your transmission would last longer and you would get BETTER mpg. Right now, I am manually shifting and keeping the RPMs above 1700 unloaded to see how mileage is.

That sounds on par with my towing experiences. It'll drive at 65-70 mph in 6th but any hint of an incline and you'll see the revs creep up as it engages the torque converter. It won't lockout and stay locked out, even when in manual mode. I pretty much used manual mode in 5th gear for the highway and when I saw the revs jump I knew it was time to downshift. ddly, it does better at higher speeds sinc

My only question to you, why are you bothering with 93 octane? Unless you have a turbo, 87 is fine.

Back