Instrument Panel Lights change from dim to barely readable.

Poz

:
Mazda, CX-9, Grand Touring
I have a 2012 CX-9, Grand Touring. I am not sure if my dimmer is working properly, or if I'm not using it properly. The panel lights are supposed to be bright during the day and dim at night and it's supposed to switch automatically. When I'm driving close to sunset, the instrument panel will switch from dim, but readable, to almost totally dark and barely readable. I can switch it back by pressing the knob, but shouldn't have to. FYI, I always drive with my headlight switch set to Auto. This has been going on from the day I bought the car new. I've taken it to the Mazda service department to have it fixed and for some reason I can't replicate the problem and neither can they. Does anyone else have this problem? I would really like to know about what controls this feature. Is there a light sensor that switches it from dim to bright and vice versa or does it switch when the headlights come on?

There is a light sensor. When your lights are on AUTO, when the sensor determines it's dark enough, the headlights will come on. When your headlights are on, the IP will go to night mode UNLESS you have the dimmer button pressed to keep it in day mode. When the lights are on you can rotate the dimmer switch to change the brightness of the IP. Rotating all the way to the left while the IP is in night mode will make the entire IP go dark, except for a few indicator lights.

I'm not sure this will work, but give it a try...

On your stereo, press the SETUP button and then press the DISPLAY tab. Press the DAY button and then using the dial on the upper left of the instrument panel, adjust the brightness you want during daylight hours. Press the NIGHT button and again adjust the brightness using the dial. Press the AUTO button and then exit by choosing RADIO or another option.

If that doesn't work, go back into the SETUP>DISPLAY and press the RESET button to return lighting settings to factory default.

I'm not sure this will work, but give it a try...

On your stereo, press the SETUP button and then press the DISPLAY tab. Press the DAY button and then using the dial on the upper left of the instrument panel, adjust the brightness you want during daylight hours. Press the NIGHT button and again adjust the brightness using the dial. Press the AUTO button and then exit by choosing RADIO or another option.

If that doesn't work, go back into the SETUP>DISPLAY and press the RESET button to return lighting settings to factory default.

I'm not sure '12 MY has this feature.

Thanks for your replies. First, there are no controls/setups for this feature other than the dimmer knob itself in the upper left corner of the IP. Also, there is no indicator says what mode it's in; day or night. So, if it is set properly for daytime (bright) it should dim when the sensor senses that it is getting dark outside. What I've found is that sometimes when I start the car the IP is somewhat dim during the day and if I drive until it becomes dark outside that it will switch to be almost totally dark. I can't imagine that it is designed to ever go that dark. That would be a hazard. I would think that the sensor would adjust the brightness up or down depending on the outside light level and that it shouldn't ever need to be changed. In other words, if I have it set for good visibility during the day, I shouldn't have to ever touch the control. That's not the case. I find that I have to push the knob in every time I drive at night.

Thanks for your replies. First, there are no controls/setups for this feature other than the dimmer knob itself in the upper left corner of the IP. Also, there is no indicator says what mode it's in; day or night. So, if it is set properly for daytime (bright) it should dim when the sensor senses that it is getting dark outside. What I've found is that sometimes when I start the car the IP is somewhat dim during the day and if I drive until it becomes dark outside that it will switch to be almost totally dark. I can't imagine that it is designed to ever go that dark. That would be a hazard. I would think that the sensor would adjust the brightness up or down depending on the outside light level and that it shouldn't ever need to be changed. In other words, if I have it set for good visibility during the day, I shouldn't have to ever touch the control. That's not the case. I find that I have to push the knob in every time I drive at night.

I tested this on my way home--the '12 has no other controls or menu other than the know on the IP.

When the light sensor determines it is dark, the IP dims. If you turn the knob to the left, you can dim it all the way down. And of course, if you turn the knob to the right, you can make it brighter if it is not bright enough already. The IP doesn't automatically adjust between these levels; you must manually choose how bright or dim you want it when it is in "night mode". BUT, if you push in the knob, it will brighten the IP to the brightness it would be during the day (I was calling this day mode--there's no setting that says this). If you push the knob to put the IP back to full brightness, it will stay this way next time it get dark, until you push the knob again.

Personally, at dusk, with the red numbering I find the IP too dim in night mode. Unless I am using the nav screen or am on a very dark unlit road, I keep it on full brightness -- day mode -- all the time.

Thanks tex2670 for your information. You have been very helpful. Your experience with the control will greatly help me the next time I confront the Mazda Service dept. They keep telling me that mine is working as it should.

When you found that your IP was too dim in night mode, were you able to brighten it by turning the knob or pushing the knob in?

Yesterday when I started my car in the garage around sunset, the headlights came on and the IP switched to a dim mode. Because it wasn't totally dark outside when I pulled out of the garage, and with the red numbering, I felt that the IP was way too dim. I rotated the dimmer knob to try to brighten the display, but nothing happened. Then I pushed the knob in to try to change it to the day mode nothing happened. So, rotating the knob and pushing it in didn't do anything. Rarely does pushing the knob in do anything. I wish I could tell you when it does work, but it seems to be unpredictable. I would be happy leaving it in day mode like you mentioned, but am unable to.

Thanks tex2670 for your information. You have been very helpful. Your experience with the control will greatly help me the next time I confront the Mazda Service dept. They keep telling me that mine is working as it should.

When you found that your IP was too dim in night mode, were you able to brighten it by turning the knob or pushing the knob in?

Yesterday when I started my car in the garage around sunset, the headlights came on and the IP switched to a dim mode. Because it wasn't totally dark outside when I pulled out of the garage, and with the red numbering, I felt that the IP was way too dim. I rotated the dimmer knob to try to brighten the display, but nothing happened. Then I pushed the knob in to try to change it to the day mode nothing happened. So, rotating the knob and pushing it in didn't do anything. Rarely does pushing the knob in do anything. I wish I could tell you when it does work, but it seems to be unpredictable. I would be happy leaving it in day mode like you mentioned, but am unable to.

Pushing the knob should be VERY NOTICEABLE. I agree that around dusk (even before, because the light sensor is very sensitive) the IP, and particularly the nav screen, are too dim in night mode. So I usually keep it set to day mode/full brightness. The exception is when I'm actually using the GPS--I find the white background on the map in day mode distracting and glaring at night--so I will then dim the IP.

When you bring it in to the dealer, make sure they are not looking at it with the lights in the "AUTO" mode--they won't be able to replicate the issue during the daytime. They need to turn the lights on; or cover up the light sensor with a magazine or piece of cardboard. Or, maybe you can take a video of the problem you are having, and show it to the service advisor when you drop the car off.

Good luck.

Thanks tex2670. I'll take your advise. Let me make sure -- are you able to switch from day to night mode or vice versa at any time, night or day? I can't.

Thanks tex2670. I'll take your advise. Let me make sure -- are you able to switch from day to night mode or vice versa at any time, night or day? I can't.

When the lights are on, I can toggle back and forth at will by pressing the dimmer button. When the IP is dimmed while the lights are on, I can also rotate the switch to make the IP REALLY dim--essentially off, except for a few indicator lights.

When the lights are on, I can toggle back and forth at will by pressing the dimmer button. When the IP is dimmed while the lights are on, I can also rotate the switch to make the IP REALLY dim--essentially off, except for a few indicator lights.

Thanks. I have evidence now to speak more intelligently to the service advisor. Hope you're enjoying your CX-9.

We also have the CX9 GT (2009) and had same issues. I went to dealership 6 months after we bought it brand new (and when I say brand new, we took off the plastic after they rolled it off the car carrier). The guy said that hooking it up to the diagnostics machine would cost $80 and making changes to the dimmer settings may cost up to $140. So we took it in for included warranty maintenance but I will never buy another Mazda mainly because of that dealership. Good luck to all that try to go in and get this done.

Update: Dealer confirmed that the dimming feature on my car works as designed. Dealer also confirmed that it's a poor design and that many people have complained. FYI, there are two light sensors. One on the dash by the window and one on the back of the mirror if you have the Grand Touring. Service tech said the one on the dash is for non-Grand Touring CX-9s and that they both work on the Grand Touring. He shined a flashlight on the back of the mirror to show me how the instrument panel brightens during the day. I also found, stupid me, that if the navigation display is too dim during the day that can be brightened with a setting on the nav display. I knew that but forgot.

Did they offer to change the sensitivity setting? That's a dealer-only accessible option.

Update: Dealer confirmed that the dimming feature on my car works as designed. Dealer also confirmed that it's a poor design and that many people have complained. FYI, there are two light sensors. One on the dash by the window and one on the back of the mirror if you have the Grand Touring. Service tech said the one on the dash is for non-Grand Touring CX-9s and that they both work on the Grand Touring. He shined a flashlight on the back of the mirror to show me how the instrument panel brightens during the day. I also found, stupid me, that if the navigation display is too dim during the day that can be brightened with a setting on the nav display. I knew that but forgot.

The sensor on the back of the mirror is for the auto dimming mirror, not the dash. It's so the mirror knows it's daytime, and doesn't dim because the sensor on the face of the mirror detects a bright light....

The tech, who seemed to know what he was doing, told me what I put in my 6/7 post. And, like I said, the panel lights and nav panel reacted to the flashlight.
The sensor on the back of the mirror is for the auto dimming mirror, not the dash. It's so the mirror knows it's daytime, and doesn't dim because the sensor on the face of the mirror detects a bright light....

Hmmm...I just got my '14 CX-9 GT about a week ago and this just started happening to me...Hopefully this will not continue..

Hate to break it to you... it will. I plan on asking the dealer to adjust the sensitivity setting to see if that helps. Supposedly there are 2 levels.

Back