Trailer Hitch Installation Advice

mrscocobear

:
2014 CX5 FWD GT
Brand new owner of a 2014 CX5 FWD GT!

My husband wanted to add an OEM Trailer Hitch and Receiver. Had it done yesterday, but when I got home I noticed THEY CUT THE DAMN BUMPER!! (About 0.75" x 2") .
Our fault for not doing research on trailer hitch installation (bang)(I'm pretty sure we could've gotten an after market one for a lot less cheaper).

My problem is that:
1) even though it looks OK from far away, it's jagged and uneven up close; and
2) shouldn't they have warned me at the beginning, like, "hey, this requires us to make a cut in the bumper of your brand new car, are you OK with that?"

To me, it's like they might as well put a hole in one of the doors. If you're going to make a minor alteration, shouldn't you let the owner know? gaaah. VENT OVER.

Aside from a hitch cover, any advice on how to make the appearance better? Bumper trim (I like this idea)? File it down? Like I said, it doesn't look like much from far away, but just KNOWING they did a crap job on it doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:
Just smooth it out with a Dremel tool and it looks fine. Did mine after the install and it looks like it was made that way at the factory.

OP: You do know that (aside from doing a lousy cutting job) that that is the way Mazda specifies this hitch be installed? All you can do is clean it up per suggestions above and maybe dress it with some kind of trim molding. It's the price you pay for a hitch that is a little better hidden (and much more expensive!) than aftermarket units.

Ended up buying those car door protector strips and made a trim around the hitch cut. Now I can sleep better tonight =)

Your dealer did a MUCH better job than many I've seen. In 10 years, it won't make any difference. :))

Your dealer did a terrible job! Go back and talk to the service Manager. There should be no sharp angles, just a smooth arch in the cut out. My dealer did a nice arch, but did not center the cutout on the hitch so it is off by about 1/2 inch. He will fix it when i go in for my free oil change. I have notices that most OEM hitches are in the bumper, not under so what we have is not uncommon.

That is the worst for pay hack job I have ever seen. Period. I bought the Curt hitch...no cutting...that repair job is okay, but I would demand a new lower piece...

Back