Door Lock Button - Is there an option to Add a Backlight?

I have purchased these LEDs(I will replace the originals too):
Digikey: 516-1431-1-ND
and these resistors:
541-604AACT-ND
I will let you guys know how is the outcome.
Shipping, got a bit more expensive, $3.22.

Given those LEDs (25mA max) and those resistors (604R) you be right up close to max mA ratings (22+ mA at 13.5V). Plus that will be much brighter than you want too (90+ mcd).

That part shows a dominant wavelength of 605nm, so I think it will be too light an orange still. I'd try for something nearer 620nm, such as (maybe) LTST-C170KAKT

Thanks, I was going to ask if you had specs on your wavelength.

I would still suggest you use a wired resistor and jumper across the connector pins - rather than SM resistors and then a jumper wire. But up to you :)

Agreed, I can certainly do that with a trim pot too. The number of tries to get the resistor right just seem to justify a $0.50 trim pot.

Schematic shows that there's 12V accessory power to the window switch (just like the driver side) - so you should be able to jumper to that.

These Mazda schematics seem to be throwing me off everytime. I see a connector 0914-217 for the Door Lock Switch (RH) and only two pins populated. One (L/R) comes from the RBCM position 3F and the other (B/L) goes to GND. The terminal voltage table shows 3F to be 4.5V when the switch is not activated.

switch.JPG

Pinout.JPG

Pinout.JPG
switch.JPG

These Mazda schematics seem to be throwing me off everytime. I see a connector 0914-217 for the Door Lock Switch (RH) and only two pins populated. One (L/R) comes from the RBCM position 3F and the other (B/L) goes to GND. The terminal voltage table shows 3F to be 4.5V when the switch is not activated.
Yes, but I said the WINDOW switch connector :) . I assume it's on the same PCB, like the ones on the driver side.

Yellow wire going to conn. 0912-503:

attachment.php

Attachments

• PassWindowSchem.jpg
    PassWindowSchem.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 826
Forward voltage is 1.9V, current= 20mA and the power supply of 13.8V, totals to a 595 Ohm resistor, 0.238W, safe pick is 0.397. I will have 0.5W.
We will see, if I need to modify something, I will order something else.
It wasn't the wattage I was talking about, but the LED current and resulting brightness. Your lock switch LED will be too bright. BUT, you could add a trim pot like brchan suggested.

attachment.php

20140502_183914.jpg
So I have installed the LED and resistor ordered from Digikey and it's not the right one.
It's orange in color and much dimmer then factory.
I would have replaced the factory one, but I don't know the specs of that LED.
I could just assume that they are the same as the ones I have ordered from Digikey?
So 90mcd, it's not bright enough.
Will need to find something brighter.

Last edited:
I'm very surprised it's not bright enough, based on my LED & resistor value comparisons, I would've said 90mcd was too bright! (My LED was 1300mcd at 30ma. When I ran without the filter, using a 5.1K resistor, that should've been ~2ma and thus ~100mcd - and was way too bright).

I told you it would be too yellow though :)

Sorry, missed this yesterday, so I may be too late :(

Yes, 0805 is the size. You'll need a deep orange-red to match the existing color. I'd say something at least 610nm and maybe closer to 620nm wavelength at a guess. (My bare LEDs above, were rated at 601nm and were too light an orange without the red filters.)

I was expecting much more light output from this LED.
I was planning to replace the original LED too, but then I thought about it and realized that I don't know it's specs.

RedBaron, could you post a How To for this in the How To section? Would be great if people know what to get and how to do it, I mean it's ok here but a more step by step would be better. Thanks

Sorry digging up an old thread, but I'm actually curious if anyone has done the passenger side? The guide in here is pretty good for the driver side. Thanks in advance.

Two options:

-Import a Euro, Asian, or Aus CX-5 window/lock switch panel which is lit. With this, you also get the option of adding power folding mirrors.
- Calculate the proper LED and resistance needed and somehow slap it where it will light the switches from above.
I know, old thread, but just got a used 2012 CX5 GT and was looking for some more light on the window controls etc, and I have the Australian version, only the auto/driver power window switch is backlit, everything else is black. Hard to find all those switches especially when I lock passengers windows so my son doesn't play with them and I forget it locked at night. Have to find the unlock button first and then the power switch button for the passenger.

I know, old thread, but just got a used 2012 CX5 GT and was looking for some more light on the window controls etc, and I have the Australian version, only the auto/driver power window switch is backlit, everything else is black. Hard to find all those switches especially when I lock passengers windows so my son doesn't play with them and I forget it locked at night. Have to find the unlock button first and then the power switch button for the passenger.
Maybe upgrade all the other switches to newer ones that are backlit?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have just replaced a previously installed amber LED, with an orange one. It looks way better(not 100% match, but very close) and brighter, than the amber from Digikey. I have picked up from Ebay, 100pcs for $1.39, if I remember right.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I have took a picture, but in the picture looks way off, still amber. I don't know why, though. In reality, it looks like almost perfect. Even the chrome trim looks blueish.
attachment.php

20170416_193912.jpg

Last edited:
Back