Interested in getting a Mazda CX-5...some questions

Surfsup

:
Cx5
Hello everyone. The 2.5L-G in the CX-5 is an interesting engine. I typically keep cars for +10 years so once the warranty runs out I am the guy working on it. I have some questions:

How old is this engine and what other vehicles is it in (I believe the 6 has this engine yes?)
Is this engine new for 2014? (I seem to recall reading there being changes this year in the engine?)
Has anyone had experience with intake manifold gaskets blowing out, etc?
The catalytic converter seems to be located within the header, is this true? I am concerned about this location.

Basically, can anyone share any comments as to the reliability of the engine and transmission, and "workability"?

The engine is fairly recent, first introduced in the Mazda6 as far as I can remember. The engine is also used in the Mazda3.
It is new for 2014 for the CX-5. 2013 only comes with the 2.0L.
Not that I know of at this moment.
Not clue.

Don't mistaken any of the SkyActiv engines with the old MZR's. They do not share any parts. The 2.5L SkyA-G was released with the Mazda6 for 2014 MY and same for the CX-5. No known/common issues concerning the gasoline drivetrain even though many have surpassed their warranty period.

But Mazda had the Skyactiv engine in the 2012 Mazda3 as well...smaller motor...but the Skyactiv technology was already in use...the big issues with ALL Direct Injection motors are that the intake valves and intake manifold don't get any sort of detergent cleaning from the gasoline. My mechanic and friend of Audi/VW/BMW has already seen the DI motors with fairly low miles have TONS of buildup...so they are getting really good with taking off the intake manifold and doing through cleanings...once the manifolds are off, I guess the intake valves might be easy to clean?

The biggest issues with current technology motors is this to me:

YOU MUST USE SYNTETHIC OIL
YOU MUST CHANGE THE OIL REGULARLY
YOU MUST USE HIGH QUALITY GASOLINE (I use 91, despite what Mazda says about 87 being okay...13.0:1? 91 seems low...)

Don't mistaken any of the SkyActiv engines with the old MZR's. They do not share any parts. The 2.5L SkyA-G was released with the Mazda6 for 2014 MY and same for the CX-5. No known/common issues concerning the gasoline drivetrain even though many have surpassed their warranty period.

"MY" meaning mid-year? So the engine is basically 8 months old in the 6 and 3-4 months old in the CX5? I'm not one for new engines. Was this released/used in JAP/EU/AUS or anywhere else?

"MY" meaning mid-year? So the engine is basically 8 months old in the 6 and 3-4 months old in the CX5? I'm not one for new engines. Was this released/used in JAP/EU/AUS or anywhere else?

2014 Mazda6 was the first to use the 2.5 engine. No other cars used it.

But Mazda had the Skyactiv engine in the 2012 Mazda3 as well...smaller motor...but the Skyactiv technology was already in use...the big issues with ALL Direct Injection motors are that the intake valves and intake manifold don't get any sort of detergent cleaning from the gasoline. My mechanic and friend of Audi/VW/BMW has already seen the DI motors with fairly low miles have TONS of buildup...so they are getting really good with taking off the intake manifold and doing through cleanings...once the manifolds are off, I guess the intake valves might be easy to clean?

YOU MUST USE HIGH QUALITY GASOLINE (I use 91, despite what Mazda says about 87 being okay...13.0:1? 91 seems low...)

I have used only synthetic oil for approximately the last 12 years. My current vehicle has never had non-synthetic (all Mobil 1). I change it regularly. I can do it faster at home than it takes to drive to the oil change place.

So your comment about the 2012, are these motors developing residue on the valves? Are the intake manifolds easy to remove and service/clean?

So no one's gone as far as doing any engine work yet? Anyone have a service manual or is there one for this engine yet?

skyactiv 2.0L is been out the longest in US and over seas, most mileage on this forum is 60K I think, no issues so far. I also keep my car a long time, most of my other cars have 150K + miles, I am hoping this little 2.0L will do the same, but they are direct injection so not sure how long the injectors will last in the chambers. other injectors can be easily removed and send out for cleaning etc. other parts should be robust if they did it right. I would think part that will fail are, water pump, cooling system, AC, Elec, steering module, standard stuff.

Much of the skyactiv-generation improvements involve keeping relevant parts of the engine hot enough to prevent deposit formation. Too early to tell how the motors will look in a few years.

Also, the early Skyactiv engine in the previous generation of 3 is a bit different. At the least, it doesn't have the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold which means it'll be tuned differently elsewhere.

Much of the skyactiv-generation improvements involve keeping relevant parts of the engine hot enough to prevent deposit formation. Too early to tell how the motors will look in a few years.

I was under the impression the skyactiv "design" was bred from their racing success (hence much of what we see in the commercial product has been tested on the track for years, yes?)

The basis of the 2.0 SkyA-G was used in the 2nd series of the MK2 Mazda3. There are various differences, most of which includes the 4-2-1 header. Mazda's solution to DI carbon build up is additional heat chambers next to the prone carbon build up areas near the valves. Thus burning off any hazardous amounts. There are a few other techniques to counter carbon build up as well. You and the mechanic are both right about a few models of BMW's and Audi's with carbon build up issue, but those are the first generation of DI engines that was design more than half a decade earlier than the SkyA-G's. A friend with an S5 had carbon build up issues twice under warranty, and both would have cost easily in the 4-figures for each service.

If by "high quality", you mean renown brands like BP, Mobil, Shell, etc, then I agree with you. Simply because of superior quality and contamination control over their fuels. Though I disagree with using anything over manufacturer's octane rating. It is an octane rating, not a quality rating.

There are many (at least 2013) CX-5's with generous amount of miles. No reports of major engine issues or even carbon build up.

SkyActiv is simple a term they use for their new line of vehicle technologies. Since they are starting literally from scratch with the CX-5's release , they needed a name for it.

Last edited:
Agreed, this gen of DI should avoid carbon problems by design. Using quality gasoline of octane specified by manufacturer and synthetic oil is something I've always done for years, not a problem.

All non-issues.

Okay so does anyone have a service manual? Could they review the process of removing the plenum, etc to change a manifold gasket or get in there to clean? I would be very grateful of that person.

How about the belt tensioner? etc? I was trying to find that at the dealer and couldn't. The belt seemed tucked up in there to the left pretty tight. I hope the tire doesn't need to be removed? One man operation to change the belt?

Oil filter looks pretty easy, two bolt + clip cover plate, then a hex nut. Filter easily accessible.

Plugs? A/C charge ports? How are the brake calipers? Anyone have any issues? Poorly designed? I hate my Isuzu calipers. Hard to see through the wheel and they won't let me get at it. Any other comments?

Back