Where to put seafoam in Protege 5

da20valve

So my mechanic told me to run some seafoam through my car and I totally forgot to ask him where to put it (there are a few forums online and a few people say to put it in different places)

So do I put it 1/3 in gas tank
1/3 in the vacuum line (going into the intake)
1/3 into the engine (where I put the oil) ?

is this correct ??
DO I just put it all in the 3 places and start the car or do I have to do 1 at a time ?.

Thanks

Last edited:
You got it! All 3 of those places at the same time with the engine running, shut it off for 10 minutes, start it and enjoy the smoke show!

So just to be clear, why do I need to put it in all three places while running then turn the engine off, wouldn't it smoke as soon as I started the engine ??
Someone told me to turn the engine on let it run for 5 mins to warm up THEN shut it off put 1/3 in the fuel tank and 1/3 in engine THEN start the car up when the car stars then run the rest through the brake booster line.
Is this sufficient ???.

Sorry I just was abit confused by your response, I am Australian we are a little slow down here :)

So just to be clear, why do I need to put it in all three places while running then turn the engine off,

You don't,... you can put it in the gas or the oil whenever you want.

Someone told me to turn the engine on let it run for 5 mins to warm up THEN shut it off put 1/3 in the fuel tank and 1/3 in engine THEN start the car up when the car stars then run the rest through the brake booster line.
Is this sufficient ???.

I think it's best to do the brake booster part when the car is fully warmed up. I believe the lacquer and deposits will be softer and more dissolve-able when warmer.
It's easy to disconnect the big brake booster line without risk of any burns so a hot engine shouldn't matter. Just use any pliers to back off the spring clamp, then twist and pull the big vac line off,... do all the with the car still running if you want,... the car will stumble and maybe try to stall (huge vacuum leak) then you slowly pour the 1/3 can into the end of the vac line (don't just stick the line in the can and suck it up all at once).

It's important to turn the car off as soon as the can is emptied because you wanna coat the whole system then let it soak in. I let the car soak over night if I can and save the smoke show for morning.

http://seafoamsales.com/vacuum-line-method-with-sea-foam/

As far as the oil goes,... you will probably want to dump the oil within about a hundred miles,.. there will be a lot of crap released into the oil that needs to be drained.

My engine is clean so I put a third of a can in with every oil change and leave it in (it goes in with the new oil).

http://seafoamsales.com/using-in-crankcase-oil/

Sorry I just was abit confused by your response, I am Australian we are a little slow down here :)

I don't think it's because you're slow,... it's because you're on the wrong side of the earth so you guys have to hold your cans of seafoam upside down.

No worries thanks for that, I will put 1/3 of a can in the booster line turn it off and let it sit over night. then when I wake up I will put the other 1/3 in the engine and 1/3 in the tank, start it up and watch the smoke show after that I will change the oil and filter.

Is this the vacuum line I use (The thicker one not the thin one)

OK,... That's it,... But your car must have been built inside out,... It should look like this,...

IMG_0120_zps5c1ab815.jpg

So keep in mind that you are not only going to have to stand on your head to pour the seafoam in upside down but you're also going to have to put it in the wrong side of your car.

Car maintenance must be a lot more work down under,... even your toilet water spins the wrong way,... that would freak me out.

(...P.S. Once your big clamp is backed off, the hose may be kinda stuck/'glued' to the nipple,... give it a twist to break it free before pulling on it.)

(...P.S. Your car is in REALLY nice shape,... well worth the maintenance cost and effort... )

OK,... That's it,... But your car must have been built inside out,... It should look like this,...

IMG_0120_zps5c1ab815.jpg

So keep in mind that you are not only going to have to stand on your head to pour the seafoam in upside down but you're also going to have to put it in the wrong side of your car.

Car maintenance must be a lot more work down under,... even your toilet water spins the wrong way,... that would freak me out.

(...P.S. Once your big clamp is backed off, the hose may be kinda stuck/'glued' to the nipple,... give it a twist to break it free before pulling on it.)

(...P.S. Your car is in REALLY nice shape,... well worth the maintenance cost and effort... )

his car is RHD so the MC is on the opposite side to ours.

his car is RHD so the MC is on the opposite side to ours.

Yea,... I was just being a smart ass,... next I'm gonna make fun of all the weird animals that bounce around on his continent,...

Just curious though,... everything is flipped to the right for a RHD vehicle, but the clutch pedal is still worked with the left foot ???
(I wouldn't be able to back out of his driveway without crashing,... just the left handed gearing would take me a month to get used to.)

OH,... Just as an FYI,... here's a list of Chile's maintenance schedule, It covers everything that might have to be inspected to make sure your car is running optimally.

(maybe somebody could explain to me why only Chile is supposed to inspect their cars fully ???)

chilemaintainence_zps81a1cf3c.png

chilemaintainence2_zpse58030db.png

Last edited:
Perhaps you guys are the ones with everything ass about, :).............

THAT.............JUST............. HAPPENED.

You could be right,... If England (who pretty much owned the world and made all the maps) just happened to be on the other side of the equator, then you guys would be on the top of the the world and we would be upside down ??? (scratch)

Anyway,... I find that list for Chile to be quite useful,.. if I know that just about everything on the list is OK, then I can sleep comfortably at night.

(so is the clutch on the left on your standard vehicles ???)

Last edited:
So, Ive been getting some smoke screen action after starting up since Ive Seafoamed. Its been pretty random, mostly after sitting over night, but occasionally after work. It only lasts for second, and its def the same color smoke as the initial treatment. Prob been 2 months or more since I did it before an oil change. Added 1/3 to oil, brake booster and gas tank. Seems im getting a little better gas mileage so Im pretty happy with the out come. Just a little curious if this is normal.

i did this on Sunday and there was no smoke. seafoam into the brake booster vacuum line. the ran rough during the procedure, but the engine didn't die. is there a pool of seafoam sitting in the engine somewhere?

on the plus, it is running a little smoother but i also did an oil change, so it could just that "fresh oil" feeling

... is there a pool of seafoam sitting in the engine somewhere?

You may have had a relatively clean engine... pretty sure it's the stuff it washes away that causes the smoke.

Either way I wouldn't worry about it. Seafoam is made from petroleum.

(P.S. I still don't know what foot works the clutch in Australia ???)

haha, its not a mirrored flip if that's what you're wondering! pedals are exactly the same on a LHD car.
rhd-mazda-323-bj-decor-de-carlinga-3m-3d-8-partes.jpg

Back