2014 Mazda6 GT downloads phonebook every time

kramerbg

:
2014 Mazda 6 GT
My new 2014 Mazda 6 GT downloads my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.0.4) phonebook every time I start the car. This usually takes about 2 - 3 minutes and is annoying for several reasons.

First, I can't make phone calls via the car's bluetooth during that time.

Second, I can't play music from my phone via the car's bluetooth during that time; if I navigate to the bluetooth audio tab, I get the following error message: " Cannot playback Bluetooth audio while acquiring phone data ". This message does go away after the phonebook download completes, but prevents me from starting to play music from my phone when I first start the car.

Third, the system acts very strangely if I'm already on a call when I start the car. The call will route through the car's bluetooth for about 30 seconds, then will revert back to the phone for about 30 seconds, then back to the car, etc., for the duration of the call.

I have tried removing the phone from the car's bluetooth memory and re-paring it several times, but this has not helped. I have tried removing the car from the phone's bluetooth memory and re-pairing it several times, but this also has not helped. I have restarted the phone, and obviously the car, and continue to get the same result.

Has anyone else experienced this or similar issues, or have an idea of how I can fix it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
photo2.jpgphoto1.jpg

Same experience here. Frustrating as hell. I usually switch to phone to try to cancel the download every time so it doesn't lock everything up while it works. I have looked through all the BT setup options to see if there is an option, but there is not.

Not sure if it will apply, but my service manager contacted Mazda and they say that there will be an Update for the Info system in May.

Same experience as the OP.
While annoying, if I am on a short trip (say 5-10 minutes to the shop) I CANCEL the Contact download. If I am on a longer drive (work takes 35 minutes) I will let it do its thing and I just listen to the radio for the first 3-4 minutes of the trip. Then I play Pandora on my phone and stream that via BT to the head unit.

As for making calls via the car's BT, I have not had any issues.

Same experience as the OP.
While annoying, if I am on a short trip (say 5-10 minutes to the shop) I CANCEL the Contact download. If I am on a longer drive (work takes 35 minutes) I will let it do its thing and I just listen to the radio for the first 3-4 minutes of the trip. Then I play Pandora on my phone and stream that via BT to the head unit.

As for making calls via the car's BT, I have not had any issues.

I try to cancel the download, as well, but some times it gets to a point where the cancel option is no longer possible, so I just have to wait. Good to hear there may be an update to the software. While it's not bad, it's definitely not as foolproof as the Microsoft Sync system in Fords. I'd take that any day over any other USB/BT integration from any other manufacturer. If you haven't used it, you don't know what you're missing. I almost considered a Fusion over the Mazda6 just to get MS Sync, but the car guy in me overruled the IT geek in me that loves the Sync system. I would have bought the 6 if it didn't have a radio or phone integration at all.

I actually reached out to Mazda's Handsfree techsupport and got the following answer:

"At this time there is no option to disable the phonebook import that occurs when the vehicle is powered on."

No mention of an upcoming update to the system.

I try to cancel the download, as well, but some times it gets to a point where the cancel option is no longer possible
You have to catch it as soon as it starts the download process (within first 3-4 seconds). After that CANCEL is not possible (from experience)

I recently updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 7.1 and re-paired it with my 2014 Mazda 6 GT to see if that would resolve this issue. Unfortunately, it did not. Please let us know if anyone else has experienced differently.

It has nothing to do with the OS version of your phone, but the version of the Mazda Handsfree system.

As a follow up to this topic, I tried a few tests over the past week to avoid having to download the phonebook everytime I start the car.
Well, you can CANCEL the phonebook download as per my post on 03-14-2104 above (got to do it within a few seconds of the process).

However, the interesting thing I found as a workaround is this:
Once you have allowed the system to fully download your phone's address book, the next time you start the car and CANCEL the autoload process, ALL of your address book entries are still in memory from the previous download and is available for use straight away. Of course, if you have added more names to your phone's address book, the new entries are not there until you download it anew. In my case, I just let the car download the phone's address once a week.

Hope this helps alleviate the frustrations somewhat.

OK, I just got a 2015 Touring with the Bose/Moonroof package...no NAV.

I've noticed that my iPhone 5S on iOS 7.1.1 works flawlessly...and doesn't spend any time on download and connection setup...IF:

1) Turn OFF audio when I turn off the car.
2) Wait until after car starts and does the engine warm up bit for 15-30 seconds
3) Start audio by hitting BT tab.

Anything else seems to act like the car and phone have never met. I dug into BT profiles on both ends, and have concluded that Mazda needs some help but overall, a decent system.

All my Pandora stations, Playlists, and Contacts are persistent if I do the 3 step dance. YMMV....

I have the same problem with my month old 2015 GT and Android Galaxy S4. It wants to download the phone book if I am out of the car for more than a few minutes and then I cannot do anything but listen to the radio until its done. I took it in to complain and I have a new bluetooth module on the way. I am hoping this will correct the Ipod/USB problems as I read a post from someone in NZ that said he got a new module and everything is much improved. My fingers are crossed they will call me this week to bring it in for the install. He said they will need 2-3 hours to do it.

I'm guessing rumors of a software update were false? Has anyone found a new head unit system that will utilize the steering wheel controls and the control knob? If there's no hope of mazda doing anything I'm yanking that thing out and replacing it.

@jayally.."It wants to download the phone book if I am out of the car for more than a few minutes and then I cannot do anything but listen to the radio until its done"
If you go to the Phone screen and wait until it starts to download the Phonebook, there is the option to CANCEL the download but you have to be quick as you won't be able to cancel after about 3-4 seconds. The previously loaded phonebook is available even if you hit CANCEL. No need to upload new phone book unless you have added more contacts. I have a HTC One XL.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my month old 2015 GT and Android Galaxy S4. It wants to download the phone book if I am out of the car for more than a few minutes and then I cannot do anything but listen to the radio until its done. I took it in to complain and I have a new bluetooth module on the way. I am hoping this will correct the Ipod/USB problems as I read a post from someone in NZ that said he got a new module and everything is much improved. My fingers are crossed they will call me this week to bring it in for the install. He said they will need 2-3 hours to do it.

jayally, did the new bluetooth module solve the problem?

One way of dealing with this issue is to change bluetooth settings. On my 4S iPhone I choose to sync only "Favourites" contacts with Mazda's module. In this way contacts are acquired within 15-20 sec. And music starts playing without any further hasle.

Back