underseat sub in 2nd row cargo?

Charcoal

:
Mazda 5 2006 Sport
Im was looking for a good place to install a Kenwood KSC-SW11 underseat sub. Although after searching a little more it looks like it might fit under the passenger seat with a little modding to fit over the vents. That seems to be the easier than going into the second row.

Last edited:
Well thought Id update since I posted this thread. I went to the audio shop close to my work and had them install the sub under the front seat. Fits just about perfect after they made some wood spacers to put it on top of the vent.

At first I was disappointed with the performance, but I really needed to adjust the settings. The most important being the phase switch on the remote. I was messing with the levels and crossovers for about two days and only getting so so sound. Then this morning I used the phase switch and the bass was much stronger. It does shake the passenger seat a little bit, but so far my wife doesn't seem to mind and I can turn it down with the remote if she does. The bazooka tube I had in earlier definitely had more volume but it took up half the trunk. Its a good compromise to me.

underseat01.jpg

underseat02.jpg

It did happen! Got some pics. It's a all in one unit so no need to mount an amp. I have one under the passenger seat. Kenwood says it's a 8-1/4" x 5-1/8"? There were more powerful underseat subs but this was the smallest I could find. It only runs 75 rms.

Cool! Totally not what I was expecting. I though you used the pocket (filled with hard foam, just under the floor vents) under the seat and built a box/woof ontop. Nonetheless, this looks like a good and quick solution! Thanks for informing us. What’s the cost like for that thing?

The sub goes for about 175 on amazon right now. It doesn't hit like a true subwoofer/amp combo but it's does alright for what it is. I was deciding between this and a jl micro sub in the trunk.

There's about 1.2 cubic feet to build some kind of box into the rear under-floor cargo space around the spare if you're willing to ditch the tray and work with fiberglass... and I'm trying to build a fiberglass box into the passenger side dash for a down-firing 8" sub. There should be just enough room for a high output JBL GTO804 or an Infinity 860w (which I have).

charcoal,

did you look at the Boss BASS 800? the dims are 14" x 9.875" x 3" (W X L X H), and your dims are 11"W x 2-3/4"H x 7-1/2"D. It looks like there are 3 more inches width wise? The wrx guys have installed lots of BASS800s apparently.

phunku.buddha. I thought about the trunk tray for a bit, but I didn't consider the dash. This was a simple install, but it'll be rad to see a more custom set up.

Tony C. There is more room under the seat, but I've had good luck with Kenwood in the past so I went with that.

After driving around with this for a while I do get the itch for something like a 10" box in the trunk once in a while. But then everyday when Im moving around a stroller, diaper bag and groceries Im pretty happy with what I got.

Just throw the 10 in. I put the little ones in the back and I fold down the middle for groceries or large items. And I roll daily with a small umbrella stroller on top of the sub. Just do it!!!

DSC06552.jpg
<~~~~That's a 12" powerWedge.

Last edited:
Back