3 flat tires. 2 cracked rims. Really.

-pixy-

Contributor
:
P5, 5 & 3
After a not so awesome encounter with some relatively enormous pot holes my poor 08 Mazda 5 is sitting in my driveway all sad-like. I have some options. First spend way too much money on 2 Mazda5 rims and new tires (120 each!?!?!) and just keep going to super human lengths to avoid potholes for the next 30k miles... Or... I just happen to have a set of 16" protege5 rims sitting in the garage collecting dust. I did some searching and I'm pretty sure they would fit. But I can't quite figure out what size tires to put on them. Has anyone gone this route? We're the results good? Does it just look ridiculous? (boom03)

I'm running 205/50r16 Michelin X-Ice 2's on my 2013 Mazda 5, and they look reasonably good.

search local buy&sell/junk yard places, I'm sure you can find two used mazda tires for less

I happen to have 4 oem 17" wheels with Perilli all seasons that I recently retired. I'm also in Jersey. Lmk if ur interested.

Thanks for the tire size. Just pricing out my options. I need to do tires all around on the car I'm figuring the 16s will be significantly cheaper than 17s. So that might be the route I go. Thanks :)

I would suggest having a good look over/inspection of the car. If rims cracked (not bent), I would make sure nothing else is damaged (U/L arms, axle, shocks).

Prices for 16” vs 17” tires are almost identical. The 16” would serve better DD duty. Go here http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and input the “stock” 17” tire size and play with the number for 16” to see what comes closest to OE spec. You don’t have to follow OE specs if you know what you want.

Jersey 1, Mazda 0.

Why doesn't everybody in NJ drive a Jeep with 31s? Seems like that's the only real solution to their roads.

oh we just keep it 10 mph and only drive during day light hours

Damn.

Is this the pothole you hit?
130301151745-02-sinkholes-0301-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Avoid the OEM Toyos at all costs when you're shopping for new tires, IMO (and other's opinion, from what I've read).

Same for Michiga,n I hit a nice huge pot hole my brand new tire less then a month old pop, sigh. Thanks for Discount Tire Hazard Warranty.

Why doesn't everybody in NJ drive a Jeep with 31s? Seems like that's the only real solution to their roads.

I'm considering it after this winter. The freeze and thaw cycles and plowing have absolutely devastated the roads.

Avoid the OEM Toyos at all costs when you're shopping for new tires, IMO (and other's opinion, from what I've read).

Won't be too hard to avoid at TireRack's cost: $185 a pop! lolz!

Latest posts

Back