DVD, Navigation, Remote Start and Homelink problem....... Related?

CyBrian

:
2008 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
We bought a 2008 CX-9 Gran Touring back in late November and love it except for having to replace the transmission and transfer case a moth after we bought it......(pissed)

But I digress. This isn't about that part. That is fixed

I have 4 issues I am having troubles with with various electronics in the car and wonder if it's a common fuse or if it is just random stuff. Here they are in no particular order....
1. Navigation - It had the original cd in the hard drive in the back so I paid the $200 to upgrade the maps all the way up to 2011.... another story. Anyway if we are going somewhere and want to enter an address so it guides us, more times than not we can hit destination entry but all the buttons with the exception of emergency and Home are grayed out so you can't select them. Then all the sudden you will try it again and all the buttons are active again. Happened last night when we were trying to find a store. I kept hitting the menu button and it was always greyed out. Wife finds it on her phone so use that and as I am waiting out in the parking lot, I hit menu again and then everything is active. Strange

2. We have a DVD player in the car that I assume is OEM but not sure how to find that out. According to the owners manual, if you want the audio from the movie to go out via the speakers, you hit the media button and select a 3 letter term(I forget) and it goes out through the speaker system. Well I have pushed the media button I don't know how many times in all sorts of modes and not once does anything happen when I hit the button. I suppose if the DVD player is aftermarket, it most likely is not hooked up to the head unit and that might be my problem but wanted to ask about that.

3. Homelink on the car. I installed a new garage door opener when mine shelled out and when I called homelink to help me hook up the remote, they told me the garage door opener was too new and they would have to send me a opener that programs the homelink in the car so it can mate up with the garage door opener. They send me the remote and I call them back. The lights work when you are trying to clear the codes but no matter what I do I can't get the remote programmed with the mirror. The homelink person tries it once, then tells me because it didn't work there was obviously something wrong with the homelink reciever on my car. Oh and it just so happened that this was the first time ever that person had to go through that with a caller.

4. Remote start issue. It says in the manual that in order to use the OEM remote start, which it is OEM, you hit the lock button and then press two times on the remote start button and the car starts. Well that works well, with the exception of whenever the car is locked the horn goes nuts on me right after it starts. The only way to start the car without the horn going ballistic is if the car is unlocked, which makes absolutely no sense to me and it can't be right.

Would there be a fuse somewhere that would affect all four or 2 or more of these issues to happen? Or if not, has anyone ran into something similar and know what it takes to fix the above. Maybe the wiring is somehow reversed on the remote start.

have you been having these problems the whole time or only recently?

not sure if it would work, but maybe unhook the battery for 10-15 minutes then reconnect.

I've actually heard of that Homelink issue before--that the transmitter in the car is not up to the most current garage door opener technology. If you do a Google search, you will find it. I don't think there's a fix.

have you been having these problems the whole time or only recently?

not sure if it would work, but maybe unhook the battery for 10-15 minutes then reconnect.

I bought the car back in November and know the navigation worked before so this intermittent grayed out buttons I know is a works sometimes, not others, but the other ones have never worked that I know of. I will try the unhook the battery to see if that helps.

We bought a 2008 CX-9 Gran Touring back in late November and love it except for having to replace the transmission and transfer case a moth after we bought it......(pissed)

But I digress. This isn't about that part. That is fixed

I have 4 issues I am having troubles with with various electronics in the car and wonder if it's a common fuse or if it is just random stuff. Here they are in no particular order....
1. Navigation - It had the original cd in the hard drive in the back so I paid the $200 to upgrade the maps all the way up to 2011.... another story. Anyway if we are going somewhere and want to enter an address so it guides us, more times than not we can hit destination entry but all the buttons with the exception of emergency and Home are grayed out so you can't select them. Then all the sudden you will try it again and all the buttons are active again. Happened last night when we were trying to find a store. I kept hitting the menu button and it was always greyed out. Wife finds it on her phone so use that and as I am waiting out in the parking lot, I hit menu again and then everything is active. Strange

Would there be a fuse somewhere that would affect all four or 2 or more of these issues to happen? Or if not, has anyone ran into something similar and know what it takes to fix the above. Maybe the wiring is somehow reversed on the remote start.

Sorry I didn't read this closer before--many systems, including the Denso system that Mazda uses, won't let you input most data while the car is in motion. So most of the buttons get grayed out. Stop the car, and the buttons come back.

For NAVI, 5mph is the grey-out threshold. It has been that way for all Toyota/Lexus/Mazda/other automakers.
Mazda continues this on Mazda3 (New 2014). Beyond 5mph, the touch screen won't work. And, the rotary control has limited functions.

Sorry I didn't read this closer before--many systems, including the Denso system that Mazda uses, won't let you input most data while the car is in motion. So most of the buttons get grayed out. Stop the car, and the buttons come back.

For NAVI, 5mph is the grey-out threshold. It has been that way for all Toyota/Lexus/Mazda/other automakers.
Mazda continues this on Mazda3 (New 2014). Beyond 5mph, the touch screen won't work. And, the rotary control has limited functions.

I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. Thanks a ton for helping me with one of my issues. Now hoping the other ones come together like that.

Thanks again.

It's funny going back and reading this thread I started and what I've figured out about the car since I posted. The Navigation buttons grayed out I figured out first because of the great help in responses in this thread.

The DVD player issue I figured out on my own. It is not a OEM DVD player so I went through the settings while sitting in the back seat and figured out it was a unit where you need to tune the FM radio to 88.5 or the channel you pick in the menu so that is done.

Homelink I just gave up after calling homelink and after 30 seconds they said it was the car's problem and not theirs.

Remote start I haven't really done that much since but will probably try and figure it out more as winter is coming up and the boss (wife) will want it working correctly for going to work.

Really love the CX-9 for the most part. Only complaint really is I wish Denzo still made updates for the navigation but I got the last one done in 2011. It still get's me to where I want to go though so I'll put up with it.

The only issue I have is the dome light switch just back from the windshield, or at least I think that is it. Most of the time when I open the doors the dome lights do not come on. I turn the dome switch to door and the other to switches to door and they still don't come on. The rear liftgate does light up when it is open though. I can put the switch to "on", then they come on just fine. If I monkey around with the switch i can get it to work for a while but then eventually it will stop working. I will mess with the switch going from "on" to "door" and nothing works, then later when I try it after certain time period I can get it to work. Sound like I need to replace the switch?? If so, has somebody done this that can tell me if it's something I can do myself?

Back