CX-5 Steering Wheel Leather Wrapping

VictorZZZ

:
2014 CX5 AWD
Hello,

I absolutely hate the non-leather-wrapped steering wheel on the CX-5 touring.

I'm considering wrapping it with leather, problem is, I have only found one place where they have a good looking wrap, and it's on a chinese ebay:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...r-Suede-Steering-Wheel/730986_1235792878.html
Not sure I really trust that website... I would buy it if I was sure they wouldn't scam me and I would receive a good quality product, but...

Does anyone here know of an alternative source for a leather wrap for the Cx-5 steering wheel, like the one in the link? The standard ones look like s*** around the spokes of the steering wheel, because they are loose. This is the only one I found that goes all the way around the spokes...

I thought Touring models have 'leather-wrapped' steering wheel....? At least in the US that's what the spec says.

Wow, that's some installation instructions on that beast! I'd be REALLY LEARY of using glue to adhere the cover to the wheel. On the other hand, the nice thing about it is it bulks up the steering wheel rim which is a problem with the Mazda leather wheel (not thick enough).

the middle model (GS in canada, touring in US) does not come with the leather wrapped steering wheel in canada...

Maybe contact redlinegoods.com and see if they are interested in making one. I got one on my MS3. Total pain to install though and yes you need to glue it on.

MazMart is selling the AutoExe at a sale price... Well they were on sale 2-3 months back.

Having done automotive leather work, the price for the AutoExe is VERY reasonable especially given the quality of the product. Plus it's not a wrap. It is literally a plug and play steering wheel core and rim that replaces the original. Fairly easy to do. Plus it will without a doubt feel better than a steering wheel WRAP. Keep in mind that many manufacturers design their steering wheel down to the thickness of the leather and foam under it to result in the best steering feel. Simply slapping a piece of upholstery onto a rim won't make it feel better, especially of it's some cheap wrap.

Had I not rewrapped my RX-8's steering wheel myself in suede (25+ man hours to make that I wouldn't want to do again), I would have gone with the AutoExe.

Last edited:
If the steering wheel is the same design on all models, then just order one from the parts counter (in leather). Sure, it'll be a couple hundred...but it'll look and feel a lot better and be 100% OEM.

Honda's are notorious for carrying the same design through trimlines, so it is an easy swap to put an EX-L leather wheel in an LX model.

Back