Start of another student build 2003 P5

Levis95

:
1992 Mazda RX7 FD3S RHD Touring, 2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys my names Levi I am 18 and from Canada, I just picked up this MP5 for an awesome deal! The background on me, I am a straight up gear head cars snowmobiles dirt bikes boats trucks everything I have worked on just a tad. First car was a 73 Camaro that was too far gone for me. Then a 94 Z28 Camaro 6 speed which I did an intake exhaust and had it painted, this was my first car when I first got my license. Next I got a 1992 Right Hand Drive RX7 FD, loved this car to pieces but couldn't afford insurance. Since then I have bought a 1995 Chevy K2500 turbo diesel pickup, turned out to be a rip off by the PO and after a year of struggling with it I ended up here. I picked up this MP5 as a driver to drive while I part out one truck and use its parts to fix my other truck I got it for only 3000 Certified and Etested with new brakes and newer tires and only 91000 kms on it! Oil sprayed no rust just a slight scuff and dent on the left rear I thought it was a great deal. But being a gear head I cant not modify it so here are my simple and small plans:

Maintenance
Spark plugs
Injector cleaner
Wire wheel and sand what little rust there is and paint

Engine
Powdercoat valve cover gold
Powdercoat strut brace, other brackets gold
Get Ebay intake switch to K&N filter and possibly Powdercoat the pipes black or just get one that is black already
Header eventually

Interior
Short shifter with a different knob
Blue LED lights behind gauges and HVAC controls
Head unit
12" sub

Exterior
Paint stock rims black till I get new rims (17x7 +45 unsure on style)
Polish headlights clear
Smoke taillights
Plasti dip roof hood front emblem and spoiler matte black (might do only part of the hood)
10% tint
Blue brake calipers

Justa muffler and tip for now till I have some money from parting out this other truck to get a real exhaust

Heres some pictures of the car when I got it I ll update tomorrow

You've owned a lot of cars for an 18 year old :O.

Is it a rust bucket underneath or did you just get a really good deal? My P5 spent 2 years in Ontario and parts of my stock exhaust were almost rusted through.

Yeah I started buying cars at 14 did little work to them and slowly progressed into more. Teach myself everything or have people help me rarely send stuff to shops if I can fix I will. My favourite was the Z28 and FD RX7 :( But I just got a pretty good deal! car was oil sprayed and very low mileage so it is very clean little surface rust here and there but nothing cancerous. Only issue is a previous accident left rear has been resprayed but cant tell

So found there to be some more damage and in that rear quarter panel and its been repsrayed in a different colour slightly. Rear Sway bar link broke today first time driving it sincei got it home yesterday. An also 3rd gear sychro sounds out its grinds when I go to 3rd.. Is this common? Also have to go against the safety place for certifying it with a cracked windshield... fun stuff

All cleaned up the salt here is terrible

So far I have got a JVC headunit in it and some winter tires. The gauge bulbs and HVAC bulbs are getting changed very soon (just got them) and I have a couple other goodies coming this week! As far as maintenance goes my 3rd gear is finicky and I have to put in new rear sway bar links

Here are some pics of my truck and my old RX7 and Z28

Last edited:
Looks nice.. You said it's an 03. I thought wheels like yours were only found on the 02 model, at least in the States, but I could be wrong. I love my 03 and have been wondering lately if I should have gotten it in blue. :)

Could have been changed at some point ownership says 03! But thanks I love blue aha

Ok so finally got my intake in and put it on! I will be plumbing it into the fender when I get a chance also have yellow fog light lenses and a carbon fiber shortty antenna to go on.

I HATE rust so I will be painting replacing and polishing anything rusty or ugly!

So things changed in my plans for this car. It has an intake muffler and a stereo and that's it. Was going to leave it till I stumbled across this

Its an 03 Mazdaspeed Protg that I picked up real cheap. Missing a lot of the interior and bodys rusted beyond repair but drives perfectly fine

Will be selling off headlights spoiler trunk rear lip tail lights front bumpers and headlights if anyone is interested.

The turbo engine cover ecu struts springs sway bars steering wheel wheels and exhaust will be going into my P5 :)

Completely different car after winter which I will be autocrossing!

I will post a thread and PM you two once I start parting the yellow protg out.
Here are some pictures after a good wash and swapping over the racing hart wheels. love the looks of it and cant wait to lower it a bit.

Threw some tint on tail lights and reflectors and cleaned headlights

Still chasing down electrical issues with my truck so this is on hold for now :(

Was the intake a fairly easy job? I saw this exact kit online and thought about getting it.

Ya it was easy, sorry for no updating school has been super busy. Plans are for my Christmas break to strip down and part out the yellow MSP so i will post parts as i go. Car is currently back on its stock wheels and winter tires

Back