Largest thing You've stuck up the backside...of your Mazda5

Bindo

:
Mazda5
Hi all,

Brand new to the forum here, stumbled upon the site doing research in to what my next vehicle purchase will be and I was hoping some of the good ppl here could help me out in making the correct choice. I had originally wanted to get a midsized pickup but having just had a baby a minivan is starting to make more and more sense. I immediately started researching the Odyssey, Sienna, and the locally made Grand Caravan when I came across the Mazda5 which to be honest, I didn't know even existed. The price/utility/quality aspects of it look really idea for my current situation, however over the past year I've taken up the hobby of picking up cheap used furniture (dressers, tables, antique chairs) and spending my weekends restoring them. My only concern with Mazda 5 is that I won't be able load up the bigger items that I come across. I've scoured the web for exact dimensions of the back door opening but haven't been able to find them. Would you guys (and gals) be able to give me an idea of the size of items that I might be able to fit in the back of the Mazda5? Maybe some examples of the biggest thing you've been able to load up?

Thanks!

The most recent was one of those race car beds. before that, a princess bed for my daughter. I've also managed a dining table and six chairs back there in one trip(all broken down of course). Someone did post actual dimensions, along with a photo for reference on this site. You just have to search it. I have seen it. But I'm not supposed to be online now so I can't do it now. If your primary use would be for picking up furniture, I would get a pickup.

Last edited:
I forget the measurements I made before for mine, but a friend picked one up after verifying that his mobility challenged son's powered wheelchair would just fit into through the rear hatch.

I've gotten a twin mattress and box spring (at the same time) stuffed back there with the back door closed. Of course I had to have both front seats moved all the way forward and I had to drive with me knees on either side of the steering wheel.

I second the mattress and box spring. I did that a few years ago and am still amazed it fit with the back door closed.

I did buy a snow-blower last year and Husqvarna 24" Two-Stage fit like a glove with both rows of seats folded down.

Here's a sticky made just for you!

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123681816-Mazda5-Interior-Cargo-Flexibility-Photos

There are probably dimensions buried somewhere in there. FWIW, I recently planned to transport a boxed 24" dishwasher in mine, and was confident it would easily fit with the hatch closed. Alas, the retailer where I bought it offered free delivery and haul-away, so I didn't get to try. :'(

I can continue this story. Fits more than OK with the 3rd row folded. The hatch will give you troubles if trying to get anything 4' wide inside tho.

Full size couch with the hatch open, 55" TV in the box with the second row up!, dining room table with the legs off and 4 chairs. Its the biggest little car there ever was, my family laughs that we always have room for whatever it is.

Back