new Mazda infotainment system firmware for CX-5 with TomTom coming soon

Somehow I doubt it. That annoying screen is totally useless. Sometimes I think people who design this stuff never really use the devices. Just a silly step to have to accept before getting to something useful. I can see it coming up one time after installation perhaps, but every time you start up the car is ludicrous!

this is pretty much standard behaviour for navigation systems

I had a car with a pioneer system who did the same, and my portable garmin unit also does it.

I doubt this is coming from the designers, most likely it's imposed by their legal department.

how do you change map color, where is that setting, i can only change from day to night mode.

how do you change map color, where is that setting, i can only change from day to night mode.

You have to download the map colors from the TOM TOM HOME pc program first, then edit the settings in the Tom Tom unit.
Here's a suggestion post I wrote with a really good color setting: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-to-be-fixed&p=6249643&viewfull=1#post6249643

And here's the post I had screenshots of the color setting I used: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-to-be-fixed&p=6250845&viewfull=1#post6250845

There is an option in the set up menu for the annoying start up message that (currently) only allows one to say ' accept' but at least it avoids the tiresome same message upon start up for the heap-of-sh** Tom Tom NB1 crap that Mazda decided to install in the car.

I just called Mazda Customer Service and I think they were great. Chris said that Mazda is aware of all the issues I complained about and that they are working with the software company that developed the software. He mentioned there seems to be an update coming up this October 2014, however it is not certain as things can change.

What he suggested is that customers who have any issue with its infotainment system to call Customer Service and obtain a file number or ticket. He said he is collecting a list of issues so that the responsible software company addresses it.

Here is the number: 1800 222 5500 option 6 option 2 dial ext 1176

These are the issues I complained about
1. Voice Recognition that never gets anything right specially when searching for an address
2. Resume playing on USB after a car restart - this is very annoying and is a safety concern as you might be driving and trying to find the song where you left off before
3. Message downloading - apart from being super slow, sometimes finds errors and stops downloading
4. Safety Lock message - He said this is a designed but I guess you can still complain
5. Entering addresses on Map while driving is disabled - again as designed but you can still complain

In summary, as long we don't complain they wont fix it. So call that number and open a complaint. He said he will call me or email me when the update is available.

Look, I hate to be that guy, but it you look through this thread, or do a search for "infotainment problems", you'll see that Mazda has been doing this since day 1. Someone calls, they say "they are aware of the problem", suggest vaguely that a fix is in the works, and suggest opening a case number. If you know much about how the car business work, a "case number" is basically meaningless, just a formalized way to brush off complaints while appearing to be doing something.

I think it would be great if Mazda released a software update, or issued a recall for this or that module, but at this point we've gone through 4 model years and a number of running updates and there have been no improvements. My guess is that at some point (maybe for the '16 model) Mazda will completely redesign the UI and improve on performance; I think there's very little chance that that change will be offered as a free retroactive upgrade.

I mean, hope springs eternal, but I feel like I've seen about 100 posts from people excitedly reporting that they called Mazda, Mazda said they're aware of the problem and a fix was in the works, and that they should get a case number. Year after year after year.....

I mean, hope springs eternal, but I feel like I've seen about 100 posts from people excitedly reporting that they called Mazda, Mazda said they're aware of the problem and a fix was in the works, and that they should get a case number. Year after year after year.....

Yup... I laugh every time I see a new thread about TomTom and a supposed fix.

+1 it is what it is until they replace the entire system in the future. I doubt there will be any magical updates in the future, as software updates can only go so far until the hardware is updated as well.

It isn't great, I'll admit that. But if they can fix the iPhone issue (I fixed it by upgrading to Windows Phone!) and ditch the safety lock, I'll stop complaining. Seriously, just remove the safety lock. My parents 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen has a sound system designed in the 80's...and it still cost a few thousand as the "tech" package...

I really don't think the problem is with TomTom, my guess is the problem is with the designer of the rest of the software...

You know, I have to say, I'm actually pretty OK with the system as is. I mean, keeping track of where we left off on Bluetooth is pretty hit and miss, and the speech recognition could be better, but given the limited command set that's not that much of a problem.

Other than that, phone functionality is fine, music playback is fine, Pandora is fine, I use my phone for navigation so all I would want there is the ability to shoot my phone's screen over car's screen (which pretty much nobody can do yet but is coming for both Apple and Android), and I don't want to try to read texts while driving so the non-functionality of that is not an issue for me.

Could it be better? Sure. Does it do most of what I want it to do without too much hassle? Yeah. As soon as they offer CarPlay either in a swappable head unit or as an upgrade I'll do that, but for the time being I'm not that bummed.

You know, I tried the nav for about 15 minutes when I first got the car. After that, I try not to use it. I have never liked TomTom maps in the past, and still don't like them now. I got the GT because of the leather seats and the auto climate control and the larger wheels. The nav being part of the package, well "it is what it is." I almost always just use Google maps on one of my phones. The Bluetooth streams ok for me, so that's good enough.

Pioneer is providing head units that are compatible with Carplay.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/page/products/carplay/home.html

I swapped mine and have CarPlay. It's far from perfect (full of bugs right now) but it is vastly superior to the POS OEM unit in all regards. Even the non Carplay Pioneer interface is way better than the OEM. In CarPlay, Maps work better than Tom Tom, music doesn't reset to first track on iPhone. It reads and composes texts. Using the phone is 1000 times easier. The process to swap out the head unit is by no means easy, but I couldn't imagine going back to OEM after i switched to aftermarket, as I just got so tired of waiting for Mazda to get off their ass and fix it.

If you switch out the headunit, you lose the ability to change system settings, right? Did you switch to CarPlay yourself or have a shop do it? I'd love to have CarPlay but it seems to be a hassle

I am wondering if anyone has gone the route of swapping out the OEM headunit for a CarPlay one or an android system? If so what did you lose, and ultimately gained.

Back