new Mazda infotainment system firmware for CX-5 with TomTom coming soon

withadot

:
2013 CX-5 Touring AWD
Mazda infotainment system MSP42 firmware for CX-5s with TomTom now available

Yesterday, I was informed by a rep at MazdaUSA that a infotainment system firmware update for CX-5s with the NB1 TomTom navigation unit is being distributed to dealers. It will start rolling out to dealers next week. The update is called "MSP42" (Mazda Service Program, Generation 6.5 Entertainment System Update) and 1) fixes impaired voice recognition and 2) repair voice navigation related to TomTom. The MazdaUSA rep clarified that this is not a maps update nor a firmware update from TomTom. I specially asked the rep if a customer could ask a Mazda dealer for the MSP42 update, and the rep confirmed that a customer could ask a dealer for the update. If your CX-5 does not have the NB1 TomTom in your CX-5, this update is not for your vehicle. The rep basically read me the details from a notification/announcement email that the rep had just received. I hope this solves the various voice navigation problems folks have reported. I dont have an NB1 TomTom unit in my vehicle (precisely because it has been so problematic), so someone will have to confirm if they are able to get the update and if it in fact does resolve the various voice navigation issues.

Update: Visited dealer today and they confirmed receiving the MSP42 firmware update for customers. However, they have not received parts to perform the update. Apparently, a resistor needs to be replaced in the units along with firmware. (I'm a bit skeptical of a resistor replacement being required…but perhaps someone will confirm once they have had the update done.)

Last edited:
I dont have any additional info. I dont have the tomtom nav system so i havent had this update performed by Mazda. I was in a rush to pick up my CX-5 after having it serviced for a transmission issue, so I didn't ask additional questions about MSP42.

I suggest you contact your local dealer and ask about MSP42 update. That's what the MazdaUSA rep advised me to do and that's how I confirmed that my local dealer has received the update for customers. Please post back here if you are able to get additional info. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well I have to schedule my 15,000 mile service this week so I will let everyone know if they give me the update.

deleted.
made mistake.

Attachments

• ImageFetcher.jpg
    ImageFetcher.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,928
  • ImageFetcher2.jpg
    ImageFetcher2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,391
Last edited:
Yesterday, I was informed by a rep at MazdaUSA that a infotainment system firmware update for CX-5s with the NB1 TomTom navigation unit is being distributed to dealers. It will start rolling out to dealers next week. The update is called "MSP42" (Mazda Service Program, Generation 6.5 Entertainment System Update) and 1) fixes impaired voice recognition and 2) repair voice navigation related to TomTom. The MazdaUSA rep clarified that this is not a maps update nor a firmware update from TomTom.

Slightly OT; The maps update can be done anytime (first one is free within 60 days of car purchase). It's done via the SD card inserted in your computer and the TomTom app. Map colors, icon and voice can be changed as well. My CX-5 came with ver. 905 which is 4 versions behind and is now updated to ver. 920. I changed my map color to look very much like Google maps, it's much better visually! I found a Grey Mica CX-5 icon as well ;)

Last edited:
I'm schedule to have my first oil change on Wednesday, I'll see if I can get the update.

Scott

The images that you posted specify an update for the 2014 Mazda3 with MazdaConnect, i.e. the infotainment with the fixed, dash-mounted screen. It does not apply to the CX-5 at all. But thanks for looking for a TSB.

I FOUND THE TSB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: Ok looks like this new TSB is for MSP41 update (dated 1-24-2014) , I'm still looking for MSP42.
Applies to all 2014 CX-5Two jpgs attached below:
View attachment 206188
View attachment 206189

The images that you posted specify an update for the 2014 Mazda3 with MazdaConnect, i.e. the infotainment with the fixed, dash-mounted screen. It does not apply to the CX-5 at all. But thanks for looking for a TSB.

ugh. i just realized that, opps. I was looking at a bunch of tsbs and my eyes kept seeing cx-5...

Can't believe this thread isn't gettin' more love. Anyone have any more information to add?!

The thread hasn't got much love because any sort of update to our system is wishful thinking. It isn't going to happen at this point.

Though I'd love to be wrong.

Can't believe this thread isn't gettin' more love. Anyone have any more information to add?!

I got the update yesterday during my oil change. Haven't had a chance to test the update...one thing I notice is the Safety Lock Engaged message pops up anytime I accelerate instead of just when trying to use a function.

20140206_061150_zpspywnjhdf.jpg

Scott

Last edited:
So this isn't a real update - just an update to the TomTom software that anyone can do at home?

It looks like 10.851 was released, but I do not know when.
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420/related/1

Version 10.851
(Mazda Navigation System NB1)

We have improved the functionality of the safety lock.
Zoom options are now available in the Location Preview screen.
This release fixes an issue where you may be shown a blue screen.
This release fixes a GPS firmware update issue.
This release fixes an issue where you may have been unintentionally returned to the audio screen.

Such a dissapointment if it was really just the regular tomtom update we can all do.
the 10.851 update hit about last month.

The only thing I have noticed since updating is that the legal screen on startup doesn't go away once the safety lock is engaged anymore :(

The only thing I have noticed since updating is that the legal screen on startup doesn't go away once the safety lock is engaged anymore :(
That gets to be even more fun with the voice activation. Start your car, press the voice button, say "navigation", and watch the UI tell you that voice commands aren't available. (Once you accept the legal thing, you can do voice commands again.)

That kind of defeats the purpose of the voice navigation commands... in order to use them, you HAVE to mess with the screen every single time you start the car.

Latest posts

Back