Engine Swap Question

ModernKnight

:
'06 Mazda 3 2.3L
Hey guys, I've poked around a lot on the internet but can't seem to find an answer to this question so I'm just going to ask here.

Wife drives a '06 2.3L Mazda 3 w/manual tranny, and it made it to 140k miles before a rod left a hole in my engine block. The junkyards I've called say I can put an engine from an '08 Mazda 3 or Mazda 5 in my car, but I need to specifically know if can I drop a 2.0L engine from an '08 Mazda 3 (the engine I'm specifically thinking of has an automatic tranny, fyi)? I'm not interested in less power, but right now finances dictate the cheapest repair and 2.3L engines are not cheap. I'm not super familiar with this car, as most my experience in repairs has been on older Mazdas and VW's (and lately, BMW). Thanks!

From what I have been able to gather the 2.3 is just a stroked version of the 2.0 so you should be able to swap it in. Just make sure you swap over any parts that seem different between the two engines.

I am in the process of having a 2.3L 2006/2007 Mazda3 GT motor installed in to My 2007 Mazda5 GT auto.
So far it has been a nightmare. The crank pulley, throttle body, fuel injection harness and location of the crank position sensor are different.
The pin-out of the crank sensor connector is also different.
It was supposed to be a straight forward swap, but its been brutal.
I am now wondering if the Mazda3 motor is in fact a 2006/2007.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

externally the 2.0 and 2.3 are simliar , internally the crank , block, rods are diffenrt and would require differnt pcm ... i have a 2.0 and 2.3 on my garage floor apart becuase people said you can use a 2.0 block because i threw a rod on 2.3 and internally they are diffenrt

When swapping the 2 engines(2.3 to 2.0 mazda) what needs to be changed , (Ecu? Wiring harness? Cam shaft sensor? Crank shaft position sensor?

Latest posts

Back