How many miles did the OEM (factory) tires last on your CX-9?

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
My 2012 CX-9 GT has just over 21,000 miles and the OEM Bridgestone tires are starting to wear noticeably. I have rotated every 5-6k and they're all starting to show slightly more wear on the inside edge, particulary the front ones that were just rotated to the back last week. It probably needs an alignment, although it tracks perfectly straight and doesn't pull to either side. But I know if all the alignment specs aren't close to perfect, the tires will wear unevenly.

I decided to just hold off on an alignment until I replace the tires, which I expect to do in the next 6-8k miles. The OEM tires on my 2006 Mazda3 were shot in 28k miles (which made me very angry at the time) but the replacement tires were so much better that I fell even more in love with the car! I'm hoping the same is true with my CX-9....

How many miles did you get out of your factory tires? How often does your CX-9 need an alignment?

Thanks!

I have 24K on my OEM tires on my '12 GT AWD. They were inspected in December, and they were at 6/32nds.

Just over 45,000 miles and still going. I have them rotated every oil change (5000 miles) and last inspection I was told tires are at 50% (whatever that means). I haven't had an alignment yet and like you, I'm waiting until I get new tires to do that.

Last edited:
We're at 50K on the 2011 CX9, as the stock tires have about 60-70% of the milage (Blizzaks for winter). They are still well over 50% left, I think they were 8 or 9/32 last time I checked.

I bet you can get 50K out of a set (Bridgestone Dueler H/L) stock tires.

our new to us 2011 GT has the OE Bridgestones still at almost 36k.

could probably get 50k out of them but will probably get new ones before then. probably use them through this fall and then replace them before next winter. will probably have around 45k miles at that point.

I finally replaced our OE tires at 70K on our 2010 AWD GT. They were rated for 65K and they were just under 2/32nds. With all the snow in the northeast, I probably should have replaced them sooner.

i have just under 40k on my 2011's tires. they're not dead yet but soon, probably near the end of the year i will replace them.

I had 40K on mine and they easily had another 10K in them or 15K if I wanted to push it. Replaced because one got a puncture right on top of a previous patch, so no way to patch it. I went with 245-55-18 instead of the 245's and the car handles noticeably better! Seems to be a slight trade off for mpg, but this vehicle isn't very good in that area anyways.

But I know if all the alignment specs aren't close to perfect, the tires will wear unevenly.

I decided to just hold off on an alignment until I replace the tires, which I expect to do in the next 6-8k miles.

Thanks!

If you do get an alignment please ask for a before/after computer printout before they do the alignment. Any good shop will gladly provide a copy. Would like to know the factory specs and haven't searched to see if anyone has posted them up yet. And you will have proof of what they actually did and if the problem continues you can show it to the next guy to eliminate the alignment question.

My bet is you have a toe issue. People think it is camber that eats the inside of tires but it is more so toe. Plenty of guys running high negative camber on their weekend tracked vehicles with no problems as long as toe is correct.

22k on the Bridgestones on our 2011 CX-9. I'm doing rotations every 10k miles. I don't notice any abnormal wear on them. I don't remember where the tread started when new, but right now they are nowhere near the tread wear indicator bars yet, so I'm sure we've got plenty more miles left on these things. If I had to guess, I'd say they aren't even half used up yet...

If you do get an alignment please ask for a before/after computer printout before they do the alignment. Any good shop will gladly provide a copy. Would like to know the factory specs and haven't searched to see if anyone has posted them up yet. And you will have proof of what they actually did and if the problem continues you can show it to the next guy to eliminate the alignment question.

My bet is you have a toe issue. People think it is camber that eats the inside of tires but it is more so toe. Plenty of guys running high negative camber on their weekend tracked vehicles with no problems as long as toe is correct.

Actually, I've never needed an alignment prior replacing a set of tires on any of my previous vehicles. That has been the case for the seven Hondas/Acuras I had before I started buying Mazdas. My 2006 Mazda3 didn't need one until around 55k miles. And that was only after a very nasty $2k run-in with a pot-hole that bent two wheels and busted an engine mount! Even then, it was barely out of spec...

I've never had any sort of significant impact on either front wheel/tire in my CX-9 that should knock it out of spec. I'm just over the 24k mark now and the tires were rotated just over 3k miles ago now. I took it to my tire dealer yesterday and had them take a quick look. They agreed that the inside edge of the front ones are showing noticeable wear and the alignment needs to be checked and adjusted. But they only charge $69 (vs. $99 at the dealer) and it's for the lifetime of the vehicle. So I'm taking it back tomorrow when I have the time to let them put it on the rack. They will also provide me with a printout to show how out-of-spec it is....

Thanks for the update.

I've also never done an alignment "just because". I got one done on my 06 Mustang GT after lowering it to fix any toe issues. Then I had it redone when I got camber/caster plates put in to move the front camber to -1.5 degrees.

My wife's E90 BMW just had one done last year but that was because she had three front bent control arms, leaking ball joints, and a seized tie rod and that was with over 100k miles on it. Even with the bent control arms it still tracked straight and had even tire wear.

Will be interesting to see your specs.

I have 50,700 miles on the oem duelers and need to replace them this week. Are the Parada Spec-X still the tire of choice here on these boards?

in the last couple of months i searched the forum pretty hard on tires and the Paradas seemed to be very popular.

however, i ended up buying goodyear rs-a in an h-speed rating. i am very familiar with them and they are a decent tire in my opinion (certainly not the best), they were very inexpensive in the h-rating and i got $100 off, no tax, free shipping. finally i wanted the h-rating because i'm hoping to get a lighter tire with a a little more sidewall compliance for hopefully less impact harshness. sitting in my garage right now waiting for the oem tires to wear down just a little more.

Thanks, how are the Goodyear's working out for you?

I went ahead an ordered the Paradas 245/60/18 from TireRack with drop shipment to a local recommended installer, quoted $952.84 OTD. Planning to install tomorrow or Friday.
TireRack $740
$167.00 each $668
$72 delivery
$100 Mounting and RoadForce Balancing
$85 Four-wheel alignment
$12 disposal fee
+ $15.76 tax​

$952.84 total.

Last edited:
$952.84 seems like too much for 4 18" tires, but if you like the shop and are happy with the work it can be worth it.

I just paid $710 out the door for 4 20" 275/45/20 tires.
$137 each $548 Cooper Discoverer HT Plus
$17 each $68 ecerts for replacement
$16 each $64 mount and balance
$7.50 each $40 TPMS rebuild

The Goodyears are sitting in my garage waiting for the OE Bridgestones to wear down a bit more. But the Mazda is in storage while I drive my summer car. I'll definitely post an update when I finally install them.

The delivery and tax (I live in IN so they charge me) is what kills tirerack.com for me. Even though I live in Indiana I am too far from their location to drive and get them. My brother actually works in South Bend but he said their location is out in BFE so I hate to have him get them for me... and I still have to drive to him to get them and still have to pay tax.

And most tire places will match tirerack's prices in my experience. Having said that I did order a wheel/tire combo from them once and it was crazy fast shipping and they were packaged the best I've ever seen.

That is why my last set I ordered from DiscountTireDirect.

As far as Reggie's prices paid; it seems reasonable to me. He got RoadForce balancing which is gonna be more expensive than just a computerized spin balance. His alignment is also included in that final price; probably would have been closer to $800 w/out those.

The Goodyears are sitting in my garage waiting for the OE Bridgestones to wear down a bit more. But the Mazda is in storage while I drive my summer car. I'll definitely post an update when I finally install them.

The delivery and tax (I live in IN so they charge me) is what kills tirerack.com for me. Even though I live in Indiana I am too far from their location to drive and get them. My brother actually works in South Bend but he said their location is out in BFE so I hate to have him get them for me... and I still have to drive to him to get them and still have to pay tax.

And most tire places will match tirerack's prices in my experience. Having said that I did order a wheel/tire combo from them once and it was crazy fast shipping and they were packaged the best I've ever seen.

That is why my last set I ordered from DiscountTireDirect.

As far as Reggie's prices paid; it seems reasonable to me. He got RoadForce balancing which is gonna be more expensive than just a computerized spin balance. His alignment is also included in that final price; probably would have been closer to $800 w/out those.

I missed the alignment, that brings is back to respectable pricing.

Back